3/9, Falafel PMPS 320

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by thornmallow__, Mar 9, 2024.

1. thornmallow__

thornmallow__ Member

Previous thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...42-2-75-78-3-25-134-3-25-142-4-25-230.287503/

1. I took a picture of the reduced dose I gave her, can someone please confirm this is 0.25U? I followed the picture here.

[​IMG]

2. Is it likely that she will go through a "bounce" today because of the near-hypo yesterday?

3. I need help figuring out a feeding schedule for Falafel before I go back to work next week (will be out from 8:30am latest to 6:30pm earliest).
    - Challenges are she has always been free fed, even before I adopted her. She also eats slowly, maxes out at a couple tsp at a time unless she's absolutely starving. She is also underweight, but slowly gaining, since her possible DKA on 2/28 so I don't want to withhold food from her when she's crying for it. (The vets agreed with me here.)
    - Positives are she does not over eat, I'm trying to get her up to 2 cans of classic FF a day (this was the case even before her possible DKA).

Currently, she is free fed and I take food away 2 hours before her shots. I was thinking of reverse-engineering the timed feeder - setting it to go to an empty slot - for 2 hours before her AM/PM shot.

Thoughts?

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Morning Z
    That 0.25 units looks good to me. Lol I just saw you already saw this pic
    Yes she's probably bouncing from all those greens last night
    [​IMG]

thornmallow__ likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

I don't know if you saw what Elise said last night she said

I’d start getting a +1 and +2 now to see how much of a bump you get. If you could get a test at +1.5 or +2 that would be better than a +1 but a +1 might help you figure out how to program the auto feeder. I’d get her used to it while this week and see if she takes to it.

From me ,Yes she's probably bouncing from all those greens last night

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
  4. thornmallow__

thornmallow__ Member

Yup I did see Elise's message but I'm still confused... if her numbers are falling I can feed? Or should I focus on getting as much data as I can for this next 2 days and then post here so I can get help analyzing the trends for food?

The problem is Falafel is quite stubborn and will only eat when she wants to eat, and has refused food in the past when I tried to get her on a schedule. So in practical terms I think free feeding is probably the only way to go based on her temperament...

Also I'm thinking I can do a 6:30/6:30 shot if I run home right after work. But there is a chance the nighttime shot could be delayed by a couple mins if I run into traffic. But that way I'd at least be able to get a +2 right before I leave for the day (or a +1.5).

(Also re: bounce, thanks! Is there anything I should do special today or just keep watch?)

Dyana likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Free feeding is fine. If there’s a way to withhold food 2 hours before shots this week it will help see what kind of a food bump she gets. You can shoot up to a half hour late or early without it influencing the cycle. More than that can act like an increase if early or decrease of late but just for that cycle. Less than 15 minutes won’t be an issue at all.

If the numbers are falling you want to feed to prevent her going too low. I used to feed a little at preshot, +2, and +4-5 unless dropping low. I tried to stop feeding the second half of the cycle as Max often hit nadir by then.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The +2 is helpful because Lantus typically kicks in around then. If it’s much lower than the preshot and the preshot is lower than usual you could have an active cycle like last night. If you need to leave for work you would want to feed mc or hc if really low and leave at mc for while you are at work.

7. thornmallow__

thornmallow__ Member

Ok thanks this is so helpful. I will move her shot up to 6:30a over the next couple days and keep observing the trends this week. I think that timing would be the sweet spot, I can grab a test at 8:25a right before I run out the door and leave the right food according to the reading. I feel so much more relieved with this plan, thank you!!!

I also bought these:
    20% - https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...on-and-sole-gourmet-wet-cat-food-3-oz-3881991
    (??%) - https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...en-veggies-in-sauce-wet-cat-food-3-oz-3846343

It's not the exact flavor listed in the Food Chart but is this also HC? It's the closest I could find to the Tuscan Medley one that is listed. Also if anyone has recommendations for pate style foods that are MC and LC let me know, Falafel doesn't really like chunks :( so with these chunky/flaked type of food she tends to eat up all the gravy and as a last resort will touch the actual flakes. (So high maintenance!)

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

The second food you listed is only 3.7% so it's not med or high carb
    What you can do is buy some of the Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers or the Medleys Tuscany ones I listed and put them in a blender with a little water to make it into a pate texture
    @thornmallow__
    You may have to look for them in a different place you went to either a supermarket or another pet store or order some on line

Z you need to put today's date on your spreadsheet :cat:

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

There are lots of options besides Fancy Feast that are pate and higher carb. Anything with potato/sweet potato/peas are worth checking out. Any chance you can get First Mate products near you? Their products have potato in them so most are high carb, and they are pate. There is also some Fussie Cat options (check the food chart for which flavours). Lotus makes some higher carb pates. That's just the first half of the alphabet. Worst case, you can add a drop of honey or syrup to her regular food.

As far as the autofeeder, yes on getting it to move to an empty slot (or just just freeze dried meat) at +10.

10. thornmallow__

thornmallow__ Member

PMPS was 320 :( is this still indicative of the "bounce" from yesterday?

Another picture - please confirm this is still 0.25U. So nervous about this tiny dose!!
    [​IMG]

Sigh. I'm tired. She's not eating much because she's mad I withheld food earlier. :') And I think the higher BGs from today are resulting in a lot more peeing. Yesterday was so good, hopefully this bounce doesn't last a full 3 cycles...

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Looks good Z,
    Bounces can take up to 6 cycles to clear. (3 days)

12. thornmallow__

thornmallow__ Member

Thanks Diane. I'm sad to see the pink back. I got her to eat more just now.

Trying to be calm tonight!!!

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Don't be sad , bounces happen, You just started out and she is responding well to the Lantus . She has to get used to to the blues and green ,don't get discouraged :cat:

14. thornmallow__

thornmallow__ Member

Thanks Diane :bighug: good night!