4/16 Toeby AMPS 223, +3 157, +5 169, PMPS 374., +3 293. Dose reduced today

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laurasboyz, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Toeby had dangerously low BG's last week and was off insulin for a few days.
    I put him back on insulin on Sunday, and he had very high BG numbers all week.
    (Please see his spreadsheet)
    He was feeling miserable.
    I increased his insulin yesterday because I thought it was the right thing to do, before I had any input from the FDMB.

Last night he had a good PMPS number out of the blue, (pardon the pun), and a good drop in his BG.
    I tested him until 4 am when he appeared to be past nadir.
    Bron helped me through the wee hours.
    See previous thread April 15 - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...9-back-after-months-otj-wonky-numbers.246163/.
    He did get just a few HC treats when I took samples.

Today he acted like he felt much, much better.
    I reduced his dose today, per suggestion.

This morning's preshot was not bad.
    His BG's dropped over the morning, but not as far, or for as long as last night.
    His PMPS tonight was fairly high again, and I know he had nothing to eat for hours before his preshot test, so no food could have driven his numbers up.

I'm not sure what my expectations should be, but I hope last night's numbers can be repeated.
    My plan is to maintain this dose of 1/4 unit unless he goes really low, or unless an increase is indicated.
    I feel safer on a lower dose given his history.
    Laura

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Laura
    That was a nice cycle this morning. He could be bouncing a bit from the lower numbers. He needs time to settle into this dose and for the depot to fill.
    We know that 0.4 units dropped him very low so we are seeing if this is a good dose.
    Keep doing what you are doing. Giving snacks during the cycles as well as Preshot meal.
    Stay on this dose for a week unless he drops under 90 in which case you would reduce the dose. This is when we put on our patience pants:)
    I went through several pairs.
    Are you testing for ketones in the urine? How is his appetite today?

3. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Hi Bron,
    His appetite was good today - he is clearly feeling much better - he was picking on his brother, using his scratching post, asking for meals.
    My ketostix are expired... I suspected they were as they're only good for 6 months after opening and I bought them last summer.
    I did not get a chance to buy new ones today.

I will try for a +3 before I turn in tonight, but I suspect I will be lucky if I can stay up much after that.
    Laura

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I am glad his appetite is much better and he is feeling better.
    Make sure you get some more Ketostix tomorrow and test daily if you can for a few days, then if all is well drop it to every few days, especially when he is off his food or lethargic.
    I’ll watch for the +3

5. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Evening +3 is 293 (16.3 mmol/L)

The insulin is working, but it doesn't appear he will drop into similar numbers to last night.
    I'll maintain his dose tomorrow.
    Laura

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That’s good. We want him to get down to lower numbers slowly so he doesn’t bounce.
    The depot will take a few days to fill and we can see the full effect of the dose.
    I would leave him out some snacks over night