? 4/19 Prince dosing advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Prince’s Mom, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Prince’s Mom

Prince’s Mom Member

Hi. I’m thinking his numbers looked better at 2.25u. What do you think?

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hmmm....doesn't matter what his numbers looked like previously..he needs more insulin.

This is the tricky thing that most folks find difficult to wrap their heads around - at the time that you feel his numbers looked better - his pancreas may have been struggling to make a little contribution - but it has gone back into complete rest and repair mode and is no longer helpful.

Once he starts to get enough insulin to bring his numbers down into the low blues and healthy greens, then his pancreas will have a better chance of healing and replenishing those beta cells...

At this time, he's not getting enough insulin and even though his little broken pancreas may be struggling to help, it's just not getting there. You need to help him by providing more insulin - at least until he starts to make some for himself, on a regular basis.

Once he does that you'll be able to lower the dose - it's been too long since there have been any healing opportunities for him - please increase as soon as you can comfortably do so - able to monitor, etc.

Does that help?

Janey & Bear likes this.
  3. Prince’s Mom

Prince’s Mom Member

It makes sense but it makes me a little sad for him, and a little nervous.

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Awww...don't be sad! Just think how lucky he is that you're taking care of him. You've got the keys to making him better! It just takes a bit of time and patience...

Just keep doing what you've been doing, take those increases as soon as you can and help him find his way back to better health :)

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree, Prince needs an increase. There is a reason we call feline diabetes a dance, two steps forward, one step back, over to the left and back again. Just follow what the dosing method and numbers tell you to do, and you and Prince WILL get there together.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. Prince’s Mom

Prince’s Mom Member

I hope so. It’s been a long 6 months. I’m afraid that we’ll keep increasing and not see any improvement.