4/19 Ruby AMPS 95/+3 68/+6 78/+10 81/PMPS 82/+2 68/+4 65

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katherine&Ruby, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Yesterday on Ruby Knows Best. :cat:

Life is good here in Rubyland. Poop happened last night, and there's been some good eating and napping going on.

In the past few weeks I've noticed that Ruby's hips have been making clicking noises. I know @Suzanne & Darcy you've given Darcy Cosequin but it gave him runny poo recently. Aside from possibly causing tummy issues are there any drawbacks to sprinkling Cosequin in her food? I don't really want to bring her to the vet again because I'm super tapped out financially at the moment and she seems to be doing really well in all other areas, jumping up onto tables and galloping around like a racehorse. :)

Is there a way for vets to diagnose osteoarthritis with confidence? Are Adequan and/or gabepentin or buprenorphine the drugs of choice for treatment?

Healing thoughts for all of the sick kitties and thanks for the good wishes on my own health. I'm feeling better every day and I appreciate all of your love and support. ❤️❤️❤️ :bighug:

Lanerd likes this.
  2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Perhaps @thebigfuzz can stop by next time she's on - I know Cosmo gets (or used to) cartrophen injections for arthritis. You could also research 1-TDC - I had it for Jax's periodontal health but it also claims joint health too. For joint health, you just mix it into kitty's food (for periodontal benefits, it's best to rub on kitty's gums).

Hope your recovery continues to go well and hope Ruby keeps cruising along :cat:

thebigfuzz and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  3. Katherine&Ruby

Thanks, Suzanne! I remember you were giving 1-TDC to Jax--had no idea it was good for joints too. Sounds like something Ruby would find to be a yummy treat so I'll look into it.

Hope you are doing well!

JaxBenji likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Neko had really bad arthritis due to bony growth from the acromegaly. I could feel her larger joints. :( If a kitty has issues jumping up, arthritis is in the back end (hips, back legs) and if they are tentative going down, check out the front hocks. You could get x-rays done, but sometimes you can just feel it.

I like to think of treating arthritis in three pieces. The first is the help the joints themselves. That can be Cosequin (though how well it works is mixed, my vet thought not and it didn't do much for Neko), Adequan (Cartrophen is equivalent elsewhere in the world), and hyaluronic acid. I used the brand Hyaflex - just drops added to the food. I did have success with another kitty and glucoasmine chondroitin with MSM - not Cosequin, but close. The next piece is treating inflammation. Fish oil or omega-3 oil is one such option (Nordic Naturals is a good brand). I also gave Neko Duralactin - which did help her. You don't give Duralactin to cats with dairy allergies or high calcium numbers. Third piece is pain relief, which varies from MSM, buprenorphine (second choice gabapentin), to acupuncture and lasers. I gave buprenorphine and Neko got monthly acupuncture which I supplemented with daily acupressure that the acupuncture vet showed me how to do. I have also heard of people using golden paste to cats, though never did myself.

Good luck with this for Ruby. You really just have to try something for a while to see if it works and it can take a while to see the effects with each option.

Lanerd, thebigfuzz and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for poop! I'm glad Ruby is eating. I hope you can find something to help if it is arthritis. I'm glad you're feeling better. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug:

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  6. Katherine&Ruby

Thanks, Wendy. Is there any aspect of feline health you don't know about? You're amazing! :bighug:

You've given me a lot to work with here. I was looking to avoid injections and prescription pain killers until her next round of blood work at the vet in June and you've given me plenty of options. Ruby doesn't seem to be suffering much. I don't observe much hesitation, but she's always been the slower, more lumbering version of her skinnier, speedier sister Olive. But the joint clicking, specially as she gets up from lying down, is quite noticeable. Wondering if I can supplement with fish oil if I'm using EZ Complete. Will find out!

Lanerd likes this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Katherine, beautiful numbers for Ruby, I hope you can find something
    to help with her hips.. Happy to hear she's running around like a racehorse lol
    Take care ♥:bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Hello!

We give Cosmo Cartrophen injections for his arthritis. Started with once a week for 4 weeks and now once a month. It seems to be helping him! Very much more subtle than a pain killer, but is intended to help lubricate the joints. It’s super easy to inject...just like insulin. Our vet gives us 2 shots at a time that we just store in the fridge until it’s time to give it to him.

JaxBenji and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  9. Katherine&Ruby

Thanks, Tanya! How did you know Cosmo had arthritis? Did he seem to be in pain?

thebigfuzz likes this.
  10. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I hope you are able to find something that helps Ruby. Sounds like there are a lot of things to experiment with!
    Wonderful numbers today:D. Very exciting to see all that green at this dose.

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Neko was my greatest teacher, she was "complicated".

12. Katherine&Ruby

Thanks, Lyla! Ruby is responding well to this dose these days and she seems quite happy. We will probably keep popping back and forth between here and .1 as she’s clearly not ready to go off insulin yet but hopefully, someday...

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  13. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

He had an injury to his knee joint several years ago (stifle joint ligament injury that couldn’t be repaired) and suffered a limp and instability in it since then. He now has bone spurs (X-ray) and before Cartrophen, we could hear an audible crack in his front paw when he walked :( We can tell he has been in pain - especially when the weather is bad.

Since Cartrophen, he is now more willing to walk around, his limp is improved and we can tell he feels better :bighug: Pain relievers can sometimes make things worse, because they are willing to jump and over exert themselves, but sometimes it is necessary.

14. Katherine&Ruby

Awww, poor guy! Never having had arthritis myself yet I'm not good at seeing the signs. I should take note of Ruby's activity levels the next time bad weather comes around. I definitely hear cracking in her joints. :( Maybe I'll call her vet tomorrow. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Tanya!