4/21, Falafel - AMPS 120 +2 110 +6 83 +7 111 PMPS 120 +2 181 +4 185

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by thornmallow__, Apr 21, 2024.

1. thornmallow__

thornmallow__ Member

Previous condo: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...5-25-116-7-25-76-9-25-48-10-72-11-124.289032/

I had to be out for a few hours today and I had a bad feeling, so I left out HC wet for Falafel to eat. Couple things:

- Even with the HC wet, she's only at 83 at +6! So I think I made the right decision, but what is going on? Is this perhaps increased insulin sensitivity after her 44 yesterday?

- I am really struggling to get her to eat. I mixed in the Purina FortiFlora with her regular LC wet and it seems to work a little. But I'm tired of chasing her with the food bowl and begging her to eat :blackeye: I'm getting parmesan cheese to try next. Any help here? Why is her appetite so poor, even with the Mirtazapine I gave her on 4/19?

Edit: Okay we are at 111 now (+7). Maybe I accidentally aborted the cycle with the HC wet. Or by giving her LC wet at +6 (but I'm trying to make sure she eats 2 cans of food a day so I try to give her food at all times except for +10 and +11).

Staci & Ivy and Heather82372 like this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

That 83@+6 could have been the influence of the 0.5 unit depot. The larger depot can influence 4-6 cycles after a reduction. Today was just cycle two. The good news, not much of a bounce after that 44. :)

Are you giving ondansetron or Cerenia too? It's best to tackle nausea with one of those drugs (ondansetron is the best of the two), before giving an appetite stimulant. If you don't treat nausea first, an appy stim can lead to food aversion. Maybe try a different flavour? Plus, Mirtazapine doesn't last more than a day.

3. thornmallow__

thornmallow__ Member

Oh wow. My vet told me Mirtazapine lasts 2-3 days! I've been giving Cerenia every evening and Mirtazapine evey 3-4 days. I think I will try that crumb dosing of Mirtazapine that we talked about to see if that helps. I have a lot of Cerenia left, but once I run out I will ask my vet for an Ondansetron Rx.

I am surprised but happy we have no bounce!! Woo hoo! :cat:

Also. I just got her to eat for PMPS. I caved and gave her a fish flavor. I will probably have to stock up on these again since these flavors can sometimes entice her to eat compared to the buffet of other flavors I got.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Have you ever tried bonito flakes? Available in Asian food stores, and I've seen in pet stores. A little of that crumbled on her food might help.

Previous to recent research, it was thought mirtazapine lasted longer. If kitty has kidney disease, every other day is common dosing still.

thornmallow__ likes this.
  5. thornmallow__

thornmallow__ Member

I was just reading Tanya’s CKD site and saw she mentioned bonito flakes! I will have to do some research and find where I can get them. Later this week I will try to go to a Japanese market to find them.

So Falafel might have kidney disease… vets want to wait til this round of Zeniquin is finished because we’re all hoping the elevated kidney levels are caused by the UTI. I’m trying not to think about it til then. Just focusing on keeping her fed, hydrated, and pooping regularly for now.

Also, it seems like we called it too soon - looks like she is bouncing tonight!

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member