4/21, Susie, 263 AMPS, Dawn Phenomenon

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Apr 21, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-20-susie-264-amps-159-3-136-169-5-168-6.246371/

Susie seems to like AMPS numbers in the 260s. I got the below information from an old thread on FDMB:

What is the dawn phenomenon?

Named after the time of day it occurs, not some high brow researcher, the dawn phenomenon is the body's response to hormones released in the early morning hours. This occurs for everyone. When we sleep, hormones are released to help maintain and restore cells within our bodies. These counterregulatory hormones (growth hormone, cortisol and catecholamines) cause the glucose level to rise. For people with diabetes who do not have enough circulating insulin to keep this increase of glucose under control, the end result is a high glucose reading in the morning.

If there is an insulin depot, with Lantus, I wonder why it doesn't step in to cover the dawn phenomenon and help keep the AMPS lower?

Interesting old post on FDMB. https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dawn-phenomenon-vs-symogyi-effect.129147/

Hard to believe that food at +9 could bring down AMPS but maybe it works. I'll try to set my auto feeder for +9. Hopefully, Susie will eat the food at that time and not wait until closer to AMPS. Wish I knew how much to give her. 1/4 a can? @Wendy&Neko or @PerfumedCatMom

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Our Dolly Girl (GA) likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Susie slides down and surfs today.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I think you are going to see some blues today! Have a great day, Summer

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Feeding at +9 is for cats that are close to remission and on a tiny dose to bring the amps to green. If a pancreas is starting to work the BG will come down 3-4 hours after eating.
    Susie needs more juice I think.

5. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Summer. I was reading your post and remembered when Dolly was first diagnosed. I didn’t follow any protocol. I knew nothing about Feline Diabetes. I just checked her numbers a couple times a day. I found her numbers were lower at preshot if I fed her right before. I posted this and Chris R mentioned “Dawn Phenomenon “. I somehow got Dolly into remission, not a strong one but her numbers were mostly good for 7 months. I’ve learned so much since then but I still often wonder if I fed her preshot, would her number be lower? Hope you have success with the +9. I’ve tried it a few tines and saw no change. Have a great day. Susie surf safely. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Summer and Susie (GA)

Yes, I will take her up to 2.75 on Friday. I am back on SLGS so need to wait the full week.

7. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you for the information. Hard to understand how food would reduce her numbers. Seems it would be just the opposite. I don't think Elise believes it will work for Susie according to her post above. I, also, have understood that I shouldn't be feeding after nadir so I am just more and more confused.

Our Dolly Girl (GA) likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The "feed at +9" is for cats on tiny doses nearing remission, like 0.1 units. In that case only, the healing pancreas is sputtering and food can kickstart it to produce a bit of it's own insulin. For all other cats, feeding after nadir, when the insulin effect is waning, can cause it to wear off sooner and shorten your duration. Which leads to higher preshots. So, for Susie, try to feed just the first half of the cycle. If you have to feed or get your leg chewed off (Neko :rolleyes:) make it zero carb snacks.

9. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Wendy.

10. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Great info Thanks!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: