4/25 RK - AMPS HI ketones 0.7 +2 378 +3.5 328 +8.25 HI PMPS HI ketones 1.3 +3.5 449 +6.75 HI

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JL and Chip, Apr 25, 2024.

1. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Yesterday’s post

It’s no surprise, I suppose, that RK’s AMPS is HI. Literally. Ketones are now up to 0.7.

I’m seriously reconsidering a drop of R. @Bron and Sheba (GA) thoughts??

I’m also hearing an AC/DC song on repeat in my head. “Back in Black” anyone?

Have a great day.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry just seeing this. Have had trouble logging on.
    just looked at SS and saw you gave 1drop R. I think that’s fine.
    Poor baby. Is she eating for you.?
    I hope you have a good day. I’m off to bed.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hindsight is 20/20, but I would have done the R last night as she started her climb. R at that point can put a lid on the bounce, and you know L wasn't going to take her down so no danger of a big drop. As is, looks like another big drop from R today.:rolleyes:

4. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Ahh yes, 20/20 it certainly is. I did actually consider adding a drop of R on the upswing last night but decided not to “chase numbers” without more historical data. I know we can only make the best decisions we can with the info we have at the time, but that doesn’t make seeing a wall of black numbers in a DKA kitty any easier. :banghead: I’m not a rookie with R and should have known. Anyway onward we go.

You know, I’ve been thinking about that quite a bit. I’ve been measuring a drop the way I was taught years ago before the “push plunger below zero then release” method became common. I realized tonight, when comparing, that my method resulted in a bigger drop of insulin than the drop I get when using the plunger method. I have no idea if that can make a big difference, but theoretically it could. So tonight I used the plunger method. With a “HI” reading, I don’t know exactly how high her BG started so it might not be a good gauge of whether she dropped only 100 points, but we’ll see.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

When in doubt, not using R is a good answer, especially when new to R with a particular kitty.

Paws crossed the new "drop" is the right size dose.