4/26 Curry's civie....now cant keep food down

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tena and Curry(GA), Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Sid, Curry's civie seems to b e having a tough time with Curry's absence.

Even though Curry had been isolated firm Sid since Mardh 1st Sid was eating and playing ....Her behavior has really changed this week.

Now.....she will barely play, isn't interested in eating. I tried doing the assisted feeding with her but that didn't go very well....as she stared to hide from me. I hate myself for doing this but I started giving her kibble again just so she will eat. I'm giving her more attention with brushing and petting, but she seems less stimulated....bored, lonely, depressed?

While the two kitties weren't the best of friends and didn't really play or hang out together, Sid seems to be impacted by Curry's absence.

First it was the decrease in play, now appetite.

So guess a vet appt is in order to rule out anything physical. Watching her change like this is making me tearful all over again. The first week she seemed OK, the change is very noticeable this week. Gosh, I hate seeing this.

Sorry for hijacking some space here today, but just needed some support...watching Sid just makes me so sad and of course worried.

2. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Re: 4/26 Curry's civie having a tough time

Oh Tena! I am so sorry about Sid. She is obviously missing Curry and I wish I had some ideas. Even though they weren't the best of friends, they were siblings and a part of your family is now missing. ((((Tena)))) ((((Sid)))) I hope you get some answers at the vet or at least rule out anything physical. I can understand the kibble. She has to eat and you can worry about changing back to wet later. Thinking of you and sending healing vines to poor Sid that she will find comfort.

3. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Tena,
    It is natural for a kitty to grieve when suffering the loss of her companion. Even though they were not best pals, they still were used to being near each other. I think that Sid needs to say her farewell to Curry, but doesn't know how. Maybe you need to have a session with an animal communicator. I have never had the opportunity to use one, but many people here swear by them. Perhaps request in your subject line if anyone can recommend an animal communicator. I know that Claudia (cjleo) is now in practice. Perhaps send her a PM. I hope that the situation with Sid will improve. Perhaps she just needs time and lots of love, and I know that you will give her that!

Thinking of you,

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Ella & Rusty

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

No apologies. You and Sid are family.

Sid is grieving. You know what's going on and have an explanation for Curry's absence. Sid doesn't. In addition, Sid can still smell Curry's presence. This may sound silly, but sit down, get Sid's attention, look into her eyes, and tell her what happened. Tell her how you feel about her and about Curry being gone. You both need to mourn the loss and it's a loss you can mourn together.

Absolutely, have Sid checked by the vet but my guess is that she's grieving.

5. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Tena, I was just thinking about you, as I watched the beautiful tribute video again of your beloved Curry. It's a good idea just for peace of mind to take Sid to the Vet and get checked out. I don't blame you for giving Sid kibble, anything to get her eating. Sending some vines for a good Vet visit, and we'll be waiting to hear back from you. Sending comfort vines for you and hugs.

6. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Tena)))

I am so sorry to hear this. Teddy had a very hard time getting over the loss of Bear Man. It is understandable that Sid is feeling the loss, but it is worrisome that her appetite is so affected. I would definitely book her in to see the vet as soon as you can, and have her looked over. I would suggest that you ask about the spec fPL test for pancreatitis (note that fasting is "preferred" for this test, so ask when booking the appointment ask about their requirements for this). Maybe the stress of the changes in the household pushed her into a flareup of pancreatitis. Meanwhile, I think that you are doing the right thing by offering kibble if that is what she is willing to eat.

There might be a few things you can do to help her with boredom and loneliness. If she likes her kibble or cat treats, you could hide them inside boxes in which you have cut out some openings, so that she can occupy herself with trying to fish them out. I had a cat treat ball which was a plastic ball with a hole in it. You opened it up and filled it with treats, then closed it back up. As the cat rolled the ball around on the floor, the treats randomly spilled out. My cats loved that game.

You could create some play spaces with some boxes spread around, filled with things like tissue paper. Put a ping pong type ball inside a cardboard box. Just create some novelty in the environment.

Teddy missed snuggling, so I made him blanket tents and very cozy beds with a stuffed toy tucked in and a microwaved heating pad (very well padded so as not to burn) tucked in for warmth.

(((Tena))) (((Sid))) I know how difficult this is for you. I would definitely rule out a physical problem first, and then I know that the two of you will find ways to get through this together.

7. Tena and Curry(GA)

Thanks you guys.

We have a vet appt for 11:00 today.

8. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

:sad: It is hard to see our furbabies mourning the loss of a fursibling, and we can't explain it to them .. I'm glad you made the vet appt and the AC sounds like a good idea as well ...

9. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

If the vets visit came back ok, I think AC is a good advice too, but got to rule out any medical problem.
    My experience: kitty Sandy was not eating & started throw up one fine day 2 yrs ago. Took her to vet suspected foreign body. Surgery, opened & closed since could not find anything. Put on IV for 3 days, suggested to put down since Sandy's not eating & throw up anything fed. Got AC to talk with her & found out she's upset with the pass over of the family dog a mth ago.
    Took her home, nursed , got better & recovered.

Good luck with the vet's visit!

10. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Sid and you are having such a hard time. I've never used an AC either, but once physical causes are ruled out it's worth a try. :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon cat_pet_icon cat_pet_icon

11. Jacspets

Jacspets Well-Known Member

(((Tena))))) So sorry to hear poor SId is struggling. Hopefully everything checks out OK at he vet and Sid just needs some time and extra love. Hugs to you both.

12. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

:cry: ((((((((((((Tena)))))))))))))) :cry:

13. Pip & Rupert

Pip & Rupert Well-Known Member

poor Sid, poor Tenna. it's tough, and will take lots of time Is it too soon to even think about getting another kitty pal?? Maybe the vet will find a sore tooth or somethign to explain things and make it easier. kitties are so very very in touch with everyone's feelings. maybe he's picking up on your sadness. Our Bumley started pulling her fur out and not eating very much over the past few months. We realized WE needed to get happier so that she wouldn't feel the stress in the house.... this past week she's gained weight and is not fur pulling anymore. I guess she was worried about her beans. Maybe that's what Sid is doing, partly grieving, but mostly worried about you? {{{hugs}}}

14. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Tena-

I just used an AC this week and I thought she was the best one I've ever used. She is very friendly and isn't "all business"...meaning your appointment doesn't start the second you've paid. She gets your information first and then you talk. The other AC's I've used don't want any information until you start your appointment - the time's ticking. Her name is Lisa Larson and this is her website: http://pawstalk.net/
    I told her I was so impressed that I'd refer her to FDMB. She also offers a sliding scale with no questions asked. For a half hour I paid $35 and talked to her before and after with no charge.

On another note: about 10 years ago I had two cats Louie and Calvin who lived together and were BFF's since kittenhood. Louie died in my house and Calvin was the one who woke me up to tell me something was going on with Louie. Afterwards I noticed Calvin was acting different. For a while I thought it was grief. When I took him to the vet it turned out he was sick - diabetes! :eek: My first diabetic before I knew what i know now. Soooo....my point is that what I assumed was him being sad was really him being sick. He did surprisingly well after Louie's death - better than I ever expected. After he was feeling better I got him a kitten even though he was 13. It worked out well. I wish the same for you!

15. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

oh tena, how difficult! i'm glad you're getting sid checked out to rule out anything medical, but i also wouldn't be surprised if he's grieving. even when you don't get along, your constant companion is still your constant companion.

let us know what you find out. hugs!

ps - you are ALWAYS welcome here. we care.

16. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Oh Tena,

I'm so sorry you and Sid are going through this. If the vet appt turns out that nothing is wrong and it is grief, I just went through this with Racci after losing Calli and I can tell you that what Sienne suggested does work. That's what I did. Racci was clearly missing Calli very much and wanted to go to Calli's favorite spot. When I put her there, she rubbed it and purred and we talked about Calli being gone & getting very sick and dying. She didn't want to look at me at first, just wanted to rub on Calli's spot but I kept talking about Calli and how we missed her and how sorry I was that she wasn't coming back home and petting Racci at the same time, then I left her there to sleep in Calli's spot. After a while she was fine and came back to her favorite spot. She did that for a few days and still goes there once in a while and rubs it but not as often and is feeling better now. I think it's important to discuss it with Sid and let her know how sorry you are that Curry died and how much you love Sid and that she's okay. They understand so much more than we give them credit for. We just have to explain in terms they can understand.

Feed her whatever she'll eat at this point, just remember the longer she eats something, the harder it will be to get her back on track.
    Lots of hugs & comfort for you both,
    I sure hope Sid is okay.

Melanie & Racci

17. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Is she eating nothing at all? I would consider a very low dose appetite stimulant (vets overdose this - I would go with 1/8th of a pill of cypro or a bit less) - mirtz is more likely to cause agitation and side effects. Loss often results in not eating. But I wouldn't do this if she is anorexic. Often a finger full of food or two will prime the engines to get her eating. Petting her while eating may help. Can you join the yahoo feline assisted feeding forum? If you do I can send you a link to their file - help for hesitant or indifferent eaters that has some great tips. You can also post there and get help for grief inappetance. I was worried about this when I heard Curry crossed. It happens often.

There is a great article on assist feeding which will give you a ton of ideas. Don't give up on assist feeding until she is over this hump. The article has a lot of ideas on what has worked for other cats. Every cat is different and its something that takes practice. It is good to keep trying as Sid may have a crisis in the future that needs assist feeding also as she ages.

My heart is heavy for Sid losing her sister. She probably feels your grief also. Please give her a big hug from me.

18. Tena and Curry(GA)

Saw a new vet this morning as my "zen" vet was on vacation this week. He is so darn calm and I just love his bedside manner.

Sid meowed when the vet palpated her tummy. Everything "looked" OK.

We got some fluids....had CBC which they will do inhouse(she'll call today w/the results)....will send out for the fPL test for pancreatitis( will get the results in a day or two)....will give the mirtz (had given it last night)...got some EVO kibble (what she use to eat last year)....

Put out some of the EVO when I dropped Sid off at home and had my kitty cam trained on it to see if she would eat any of it.....yup...some disturbance in the kibble when I looked a few minutes ago.

Learned that the pancreatits test was developed by a vet at Texas A&M....most of the vets here graduate from there.....this vet had taken classes under this particular fellow...kinda cool.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for allowing me to spew, purge, vent here.

luv ya,
    tena

19. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Mirtz is every three days isn't it? I would be careful with this. What dosing was given - vets often prescribe way too much. I prefer cypro.

20. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

Tena, if nothing is medically wrong, you could try flower essences. I have had great success with the ones produced by Green Hope Farms - they have a whole line for animals (including grief). If you're interested but don't want to order from them, I'm pretty sure I have the Grief one that I could send you.
    Green Hope Farm Essences

(((hugs)))

21. Linda and Bear Man

I am glad that Sid ate some of the Evo. If the tests come back positive for Pancreatitis, ask the vet about giving something (Bupe) for pain, and perhaps something (Ondansetron) for nausea. If the fluids seem to be perking him up, you can get a bag from the vet and give them at home. I hope that Sid eats more for you tonight.

(((Tena))) (((Sid)))

22. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Tena, sounds like a nice Vet and very thorough checkup. Great with the in house bw, too! Sending vines for good results for Sid. Hugs.

23. Daphne#5 GA

Daphne#5 GA Well-Known Member

Tena so sorry to hear that Sid is not feeling well. I hope all the vet results come back negative.

I agree with some of the advice here for Sid, I learned a long time ago from a very (hard to find a word to describe her), but lets just say she was very in tune with the universe, and highly intelligent. She told me to talk to my kitty about whatever, and they may not understand our words, but they feel our intentions.

Also, my neighbor had 3 adopted outside cats, a mother, and two daughters, who were inseparable. The mom died after a long life, and so the two daughters would not eat and you could just see their pain. They did eventually get on with their life, with one of the daughters taking the mom's place. Then the daughter that was acting as mom died, and there was only one daughter, so my neighbor adopted the stray that was in the neighborhood and after a while you could not separate them, they became very close and they seemed like they took care of each other, and are still together now. So maybe in time, another kitty will be able to give Sid some love and friendship.

I do hope Sid will eat soon, sending healing vines for you and Sid :YMHUG:

24. Tena and Curry(GA)

Well the vet gets one demerit from me. She didn't call w/the result of the CBC today. She's in tomorrow so I'll hound her then.

And I lied about Sid eating during the day. She didnt. No kibble during the day. Looks like she just spit it out like she did tonight. And she wouldn't eat the tuna tonight.

She did have a loose bm and I had to clean her bottom. Snagged a nice sample for the vet tomorrow.

So I will go slow with the assist feed tonight. Just completed syringe # 1....that's all she would tolerate. Will do some more this evening.

Just joined the assist feed group .....thank you Karrie.

And thanks to you all with your wonderful support and suggestions.

25. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

Re: 4/26 Curry's civie....loose bm

Poor Sid! I'm hoping it's nothing serious!!

26. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Tena,
    We are sending a beautiful bouquet of healing vines to Sid tonight. I hope that she will start eating soon and start feeling better. It's good that you joined the Assisted Feeding Group.

Lots of hugs to you both,

Ella & Rusty

27. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Try and get Sid to drink water, syringe it if need be, especially with the loose stools. Will Sid eat from a spoon? Racci loves to be fed from a spoon and Tamara's Ella does too. Maybe Sid would eat that way? Make the food a little liquified though so she gets more water.
    I hope the vet calls tomorrow with all the results and they're negative.

Best hopes and wishes for her quick recovery,
    Melanie & Racci

28. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hey Tena and Syd. Just sending you good vines, and feel better soon please, Syd. Hugs and Skritches and Love.

29. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Healing vines to Sid...such a hard time right now for both of you.

Paws and prayers your way.

When my Krueger passed suddenly ...MudCat was lost without him. I ended up putting his ashes on the floor for her and she laid with them for quite sometime. It was heartbreaking to watch, but it seemed she then understood.

30. Tena and Curry(GA)

Crap. She just tossed her food. So she really hasn't eaten now all day.

31. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

The first syringe is the hardest one. Isn't Kathy's video great? Karrie recommended that to us when Zener stopped eating January and it really helped. Sending healing and eating vines to Sid.
    Liz

ETA: the food definitely needs to be warm.

32. tortie58

So sorry Sid did not keep the food down. May I know what did you syringe feed him with ?
    My experience with Sandy: Must go very slow at first, not too much water, get into a paste like substance. I soaked the dry knibbles she was having then, blend it in a blender; adding a bit of warm water plus a drop of grinded ginger juice (yes, chinese use ginger to calm our upset stomach) Feed a 5ml, wait for 20 min, feed again. I used the dry knibble because it was the food she's used to then so that I wont upset her stomach with too high nutrious food.

33. Tena and Curry(GA)

I had puréed wellness chicken....so its basically liquid. Gave her 10ml ay 6:30 and another at 8:00.

34. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Pepsid may help if you don't have anything from the vet (e.g., ondansatron or Cerenia). Also, baby food is easy on the tummy.

35. tortie58

If its too soupy, makes it easier to throw up. Have to wait for say 20 min after the stomach settled down before you can try syringe feeding again. Is he always lying down, not moving? Try to interest him to move a bit.
    Dont give up Tena! I know its frustrating. Give him something tasty which he loves. The important thing is to get him eat at the moment. Anything else can deal with later.
    Talk to Sid, he understands what's going on.

36. Beth & Atlas

I would hold off on food this evening and get Sid to the vet in the morning. If the vomiting continues this evening without food an ER trip might be wise.

Vomiting and loose BM's can cause dramatic dehydration in cats. What compounds this is dehydration can cause vomiting and there may be a need for SubQ's as anything oral simply won't stay down.

If I were to try to syringe anything right now...it would be plain water.

37. Tena and Curry(GA)

Thanks. I'll let her stomach settle a little and try the pepsid.

So the only food she's had in 24 hours is a few pieces of kibble. I'm definitely calling the vet in the morning, but concerned that she's not really eaten.

How long should I wait to try and gve her some baby food tonight.

Brb....running to the store to get food.

38. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

:YMHUG: no experience from me, just a little TLC.

39. Beth & Atlas

Cats don't normally meow when the tummy is palpated? Is it possible Sid has a blockage and only partially digested food is getting by? Which would also cause vomiting from trying to eat or be force fed.

40. Tena and Curry(GA)

I can ask the vet tomorrow.

What do think about giving the pepcid in a bit.......along with some water throughout the night. Or just skip the Pepcid

41. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Healing vines for poor Sid! ((((Tena)))). Know we are thinking about you and Sid and hope you get some answers.

42. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Tena, the Stage 2 Beechnut chicken & broth is a good one or Gerber stage 2 chicken & gravy if you haven;t ;left yet.

43. Beth & Atlas

Keeping Sid calm and hydrated I think is your priority this evening. I don't see any harm in the pepcid it may help with the naseau, but I'd not worry too much tonight about food.

If the vomiting continues though, you may need an ER tonight. An x-ray would show a blockage.

44. Linda and Bear Man

I would tend to agree with Beth. Take it very easy on syringing in any more food for the next few hours, with the vomiting and diarrhea. You can check her hydration by taking a good pinch of skin at the scruff of her neck and twisting it 90 degrees. If it is very slow to snap back, she is getting dehydrated. If she goes downhill any further tonight, I would be tempted to go to the ER. Otherwise, it sounds like a good idea to get her in tomorrow morning. If vomiting continues, you should consider getting an X-Ray to check for a foreign body. An injection of Cerenia by the vet can help with her vomiting.

(((Sid))) (((Tena)))

45. Tena and Curry(GA)

Thank you Beth and Linda. Will do.

I'm glad she got some fluids at the vet today.

46. Daphne#5 GA

Daphne#5 GA Well-Known Member

Sending tons of healing vines to Sid. :YMHUG:

47. Noreen&DC&Frisky

Noreen&DC&Frisky Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines to Sid.

48. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I think you've gotten some good direction from Beth and Linda. I hope Sid's tummy settles down.

49. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((((Tena)))))). I've been gone all day and just saw this. I am so sorry Sid is not well. Nothing to add other than I also have a phenomenal AC that several members have used. Sending Sid major healing vines. Please keep us posted.

50. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Just stopping in to add my prayers to the list....feel better, Sid!!

51. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

HI Tena - just stopping by to send mega healing vines to Sid. I will keep you both in my thoughts. Be well Sid!

52. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Sending Prayers for Sid to start eating again..Must miss Curry!! Hugs & Love from us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.