? 5/12 Celia: New test strips out of range/(defective?): Dose due! Pls help!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Angie & Celia (Cruz), May 12, 2023.

1. Angie & Celia (Cruz)

Angie & Celia (Cruz) Member

Newbie here. Just tested 2 test strips from a new container with the control solution like I always do & 1st strip was 162mg/dL when max. is 158 & second strip was 159. Called Walmart & refunding me. I have no more strips on hand & my clutch just died today on car. Safe to dose at 12th hour (around now) or no? Tested her PMPS anyway with a "defective" strip & she was 240.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    Reason for edit: Forgot
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. I need to go back and get familiar with your cat. While I read please stall, don’t feed and then recheck in 20-30 minutes. Remove the 911 and change it to a question mark prefix. The 911 is reserved for a possible hypo or medical emergency.

3. tiffmaxee

What do you mean by defective strip? I see you dint have any strips. I would not feel comfortable shooting without test strips.

4. babyg

babyg Well-Known Member

I've never used a control solution before and honestly never even thought of it lol. I've just always bought strips and used them as is. So obviously I don't know anything about control solution but 162 and 159 are so close to 158, they're practically the same number to me? :confused: I know meters in general can have a 20% variance from the "true" number when testing blood. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon! :bighug:
    Edited to add: yay! just as I posted I see now you're in good hands! :)

Angie & Celia (Cruz) likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

I never used a control solution. If your strips are good which sounds like they are you can shoot.

Angie & Celia (Cruz) and babyg like this.
  6. tiffmaxee

7. Angie & Celia (Cruz)

She's already eaten because I Test, Feed, & Shoot so after I tested she was starving because it was @ 6-6:30p & she hadn't eaten since morning breakfast with exception of possibly grazing on wet food left out that she or housemates didn't finish because I wasn't home. Then tested a @ 4-5 strips total & none were within range. I called Walmart because according to them that means they are defective and they reimbursed me after asking me a series of questions about them. I don't know what to follow anymore, even my vet said they've never used control solution in her hospital but yet the ReliOn meter instructions strongly encourage testing with control solution every time you get a new meter or new strips for accuracy. I didn't want her to miss a dose after starting it almost a week ago & to me that's an emergency because I don't know if they have withdrawal attacks like missing other certain meds or wtf. So since her PMPS was above 200 (although possibly inaccurate) & her dose so small (.50) & she'd just eaten alot & exhibited no hypo symptoms, I gave her the shot because I had waited almost an hour for a reply (understandably, it's Fri. night, here in the states at least) & knew you're supposed to skip the shot after a certain period of time if you're too late (have the time written in my notes somewhere) so I was frantic. She's acting normal at least so fingers crossed. Thanks

8. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Test yourself. Same numbers range apply to cats and humans.

Angie & Celia (Cruz) likes this.
  9. tiffmaxee

We all test, feed, shoot within 5-10 minutes but if you are not sure if you should shoot that’s when you stall without food. In this case feeding was fine becaypuse the bg was not low.

10. Angie & Celia (Cruz)

I thought I read somewhere you can shoot up to an hour after feeding...Is it only 5-10 min.?! And as for the stalling: doesn't that lower the BG, thus making hypo more possible once shooting? Sorry, I'm a newbie. Still so confused. I've since given her the shot after so many replies about no one else relying on control solution and based on her SS & she did ok through the night, but just for future ref. would like to know. Thanks

11. tiffmaxee

You can shoot late. It’s the next shot at may present a problem as you can shoot 15 minutes early every cycle or 30 minutes every 24 hours. If that is not a problem then shooting late is not a problem.