5/12 Luke AMPS 256 +4 65 +5 236

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kristen ardito, May 12, 2023.

1. Kristen ardito

Kristen ardito Member

Hi - Luke's Libre expired yesterday and I'm waiting for the prescription for the new one. In the meantime I've been ear pricking (Freestyle Lite).

His number was just 65 when I tested. I gave him a little food. Since he's mostly been high since his diagnosis I'm new to when to panic in low numbers and what to do at this point.

Should I test again in a half hour or hour (or sooner)? What is the number that I want to avoid?

Behavior is normal although he was sleeping under the bed which he doesn't usually do. No wobbly legs. Ate his snack fine.

Thanks! Can't wait til we get to a more normal territory so I'm not always scrambling with really high "highs" and really low "lows"!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Since you are following SLGS he has earned a reduction by having a bg reading under 90. I’m wondering if it was a bad strip or not enough or too much blood. Test again when you see this.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Kristen ardito

Kristen ardito Member

Ok, thank you. There was a lot of blood - but def agreed I will double check next time. I just checked and it was 236 so I wonder if I overcompensated with some food in a gravy. Sigh.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

5. tiffmaxee

When you get a lower preshot try and get a +2. It is when Lantus often kicks in and if lower than the preshot is a heads up that he might go lower. Also he was yellow last night so another reason to suspect he might go lower. The hc likely brought him up but check in an hour or two to make sure he doesn’t drop again.

6. Kristen ardito

Kristen ardito Member

THANK YOU. Just tested again (we are now at 8.25) and it's gone up slightly to 261.

7. tiffmaxee

I suspect that was a bad test but in case it was not you should reduce to 1.25 because you are following SLGS.

8. Kristen ardito

Kristen ardito Member

So the same thing happened this morning - where I tested him and it was 68, so I tested again and got 128, then to be sure, tested a third time and got an error 3 (Freestyle Lite).

So I suspect the test was wrong.

From now on, any time I get < 100 I will retest. Thanks for walking me through it.

I've kept him on 1.50 and am monitoring close.

So far today his numbers have consistently been in the 100s, both with ear prick and Libre so I am cautiously optimistic that he has recovered from his bounce last week and is starting to even out.

We are now AMPS +4.5 and he is at 130.

tiffmaxee likes this.