5/15 Oren; AMPS=390;+2.75=437;+4.75=446;+6=459;+8=532;PMPS=416;+4=343

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Megan & Oren, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

Yesterday

well, after not a good nights sleep (more like 3 hours?!) because I spent the evening writing my manifesto to the vet, getting facts and citations straight etc. , plus worrying a bit about Oren's sneezing attacks last night I am launched into the new day. Can't say I'm full of vim, vigor and fight. more like stumbling, dazed and blithering. But still here. I did keep the dose to 4.5 this a.m, but expressed in the email that I am going up this evening, and the short of everything was 'please, can't we all get along, and work together, we both have his best interests at heart, I don't want to be antagonistic etc. I think i achieved the right tone of sticking up for my opinions and respecting her abilities.

time will tell when/if i get a response.

i must try to catch a few hours of sleep now, before having to launch into errands and yardwork etc.
    And yes, he's still sneezy this a.m. Sigh. looking generally a bit uncomfortable...

happy Friday.and thanks again to all who let me be a whiny, weepy mess last night. Still feeling very sad about DBF not being able to visit and having to deal with the stress of that too..

2. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope you feel better Megan now that you have written to your vet expressing your concerns, perhaps you will now be able to work together for the common good of Oren. If not, you have tried your very best and it's time to take your $$$ elsewhere.

Sending hugs to you both :bighug: Sorry to hear DBF can't get there to give you a real hug.

Megan & Oren likes this.
  3. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

thank you Suki! I guess I feel better, but I still haven't heard back from her, so I'm thinking its not a great sign...
    we shall see. Meanwhile, he's had a shitty numbers day, as I did a curve. I'm definitely increasing tonight. I feel horrible about letting him backslide this far.

4. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

Don't feel terrible, Megan! You tried to do right by your vet's suggestions, they just did not work as well for Oren as hoped. That's ok. If she can't see the problem with him being in those high numbers... I think you have the right plan in place to find someone who does. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

email didn't bounce back to me, so I assume it went. But no response all day. :(. Went ahead and upped dose back to 6.25 this evening. +4 just now 343, so a mild improvement. He's still sneezing occasionally, but not quite as violently as last night. I am still light headed from lack of sleep and have to call it a night for now.
    the battle resumes!

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe the vet is thinking about everything....and needs time to respond. It could be seen as a positive sign. At least she didn't shoot back with a NO!
    Good luck with the dosecrease

7. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

You're in a very difficult position and all you can do is your best, Megan. Oren hasn't got an advocate except for you, and you can see by his tests what the results of the reduced dose was. I wouldn't have been able to take those high numbers today without increasing either. I think you're doing the right thing, if that helps at all. People aren't experienced with high dose cats and very often they get the idea that a cat "ought" to be regulated on something less than 2u. But here we see many cats that need more than that.

When punkin was diagnosed with acro and i was sweating over his dose going up and up, someone told me that the important numbers were his blood sugar, not the size of his dose. He just needed what he needed and although i hated having to increase his dose and hated having his dose bigger than every other cat's on the Lantus board in those days, I tried to remember that advice.

If she comes back to you with a no, I'd bring up the issue of the blood tests again. They would give a definitive answer as to whether or not he has acro or iaa.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck with the dosecrease. I agree with the others - no regrets.:bighug: Now that you did as the vet suggested with the dose and seen the results, you know for sure that wasn't right direction. You made the right choice. I too have had doubts about too high a dose and did a temporary reduction and upped as soon as the numbers went sour. But at least it removed that lingering doubt in my mind and I felt comfortable after that going forward and going up.

Vines being sent for Oren's sneezing. Maybe he needs a little spa treatment like Zoey is getting. But tomorrow, after you sleep.

9. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

Zoey's story is amazing and I feel like i should just stop my whining when I think of what they're going through. Rose and her DH are amazing! Thankfully, his sneezing does seem to be a bit better, haven't heard one in the 45 min. I've been up w/ him so far this a.m! And he doesn't have any eye or nasal discharge so..I'm hopeful it's nothing serious...

10. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

Yes, I will also admit I had my doubts about possible waning potency of the original vial of Lantus, and so I think this 'experiment' answered both those questions. If the new vial had had more oompf, even with a reduction it might have done better. For the record, I used the old vial for the increase last night (just in case!) and look what it's done. She probably won't like hearing that either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.