? 5/27 Ivy broke leg, 43-50 (Libre) very low BG am

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Staci & Ivy, May 27, 2023.

1. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-353-2-335-3-394-4-301-5.277952/#post-3074769
    We increased her dose yesterday am to 3.75 units.
    On new dose as of yesterday, …more complications:
    **we had a new wrinkle early this morning.
    Ivy tried to jump up on the bed and got caught in the footboard and broke her rear left leg, both bones. (Damned neuropathy!) :arghh:
    She’s at the hospital right now getting sedated and a splint and then they will have to do surgery sometime this coming week.

** On the way to the hospital, her glucose was dropping fast and she ended up 43-50 on the libre device. (I couldn’t check on a glucometer on the way there)
    (could the trauma of the leg break cause more of a drop?? The hospital thought, if anything, it would raise her glucose)

When the hospital tested her (ear prick) she had bounced to in the 200s, bit she dropped again on the Libre.
    *I did not give insulin this morning before I took her to the hospital at their direction, nor did I feed her.
    She injured herself right before I was getting ready to test feed and shoot this am.

I should get her back later today and hopefully can get her to eat and get insulin into her at pm dose time.
    I’m not sure what I should shoot. **

They recommend reducing her insulin down to the last dose, so I’m wondering if I should take .25 unit reduction this evening and until I get her stable with the leg and upcoming surgery. Last thing I need is a hypo going on.

It seems that around 4 o’clock this morning she started dropping steeply, another bounce breaking cycle??? Do you think that was what was happening?

The sharp drop this early am was after yesterday all day in 300s (ndw) and last night early pm pink and then eventually going yellow overnight.
    Was this a bounce breaking going on?

I did give her a small, low carb snack at +1+2+3 both a.m. and p.m. to try to reduce huge bounces, which she tends to do early in her cycle these days since we started increasing her insulin on a more TR schedule.

Not sure how I’m going to handle the broken leg and top of the diabetes and getting everything stabilized. Crying over here. :arghh:

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry this happened to Ivy, and to you. :bighug:
    Yes, trauma can cause drops in some cats. So can vet visits. Rover always dropped after a vet visit. I made sure to check his numbers in the car before leaving the parking lot and then again at home.
    I can't give advice regarding dose but I can tag @Sue and Luci – Luci, if I remember correctly, had a broken leg and managed quite well.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Red & Rover (GA)

I did remember correctly. Do a search for the word "cast" by member Sue and Luci (there are many posts about it).

4. Staci & Ivy

Thank you @Red & Rover (GA) :bighug:

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Oh no! So sorry to hear about Ivy's poor leg. :bighug:

I would definitely reduce down to 3.5 units tonight as the vet recommended. Even though you weren't able to double check the Libre, and she was breaking a bounce (meaning downward momentum), I'd want her nadirs up a little if she's going to be back in the hospital this week. Neko also was one of those cats whose numbers went down at the vet. Plus she may feel a bit woozy or be on pain meds which may make feeding not as reliable.

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Poor Ivy! I hope you both make it through the weekend! It's tough when they injure themselves - and yes that plunge after trauma is very typical in some cats. Luci was always doing that - just when I'm sure my blood pressure was soaring due to her injury and subsequent vet visit when she fell off the window sill and broke her foot - she dropped like a rock! She adapted to her casts (yes, she had to have the thing casted and re-casted a few times) and every time she'd slide down to those lovely unexpectedly low numbers.

Is Ivy eating ok? Does she seem like she's resting and is her usual self?

Hang in there and know that Ivy will probably get through the whole thing easier than you will! I hope she'll respond to the insulin as she was just getting ready to show you what she could do with more insulin...darn it!

:)

7. Staci & Ivy

I know, just when we were making some traction. Poor baby. She was thrilled to have her dinner tonight. Hadn’t eaten all day. I’m so thrilled. She had an appetite so that was a blessing and I could give her 3.5 units with her dinner and of course I’ll continue to watch her closely with a Libre and through the weekend. Thank you so much for your comments, and reaching out, it means so much to me.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Staci & Ivy

Hi Wendy, thanks so much for your response. I did reduce reduce to 3.5 units tonight and I definitely think the trauma caused her to drop like a rock. She also dropped overnight on her own before the trauma and then she just tanked on our ride to the hospital this morning. It was terrifying, since I have her home, I just gave her her dinner and her insulin and hopefully she will spend the next couple days resting. I have no idea how she’s going to use a litter box or even maneuver around. Between the neuropathy on her good leg and the splint I truly don’t even know how she’s gonna get by. This is going to be quite a challenge, @Wendy&Neko

9. Wendy&Neko

Do you have a litter box with a low entry on one side? Maybe surround the LB with some pee pads, just in case.

10. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

11. Staci & Ivy

Wow! That is incredible! Thank you for sending that video!
    [QUOTE="Wendy&Neko, post: 3075
    Yes @Wendy&Neko I do have the low entry box, got it when she developed the neuropathy. Still waiting to see if she’s gonna go pee. No try yet :arghh:

12. Don & Xena

Don & Xena Member

Oh man, poor baby. I hope the surgery goes well, as well as her recovery and keeping her as regulated as possible goes smoothly.
    I had to get a little cat stair case for my cat Chester to get on the bed when he got older, or he would jump as high as he could, and then pull himself up with his claws, and it was just a matter of time before he got hurt when I saw him do that. He wouldn’t give up because he slept on my neck/shoulder every night for 15 years (he came with my wife when we moved in together, and before long he was more attached to me, lol)
    Anyway… Yeah what a crappy complication to have to deal with during this time. You probably realize this, but just keep in mind… I know it my vets office they use a feline specific glucometer, so the numbers will always show higher.
    I said a prayer for Ivy and for you guys. Hoping for the best. ❤️‍

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  13. Don & Xena

Don & Xena Member

Wow, I just looked at Ivy’s chart. That’s crazy that it dropped so far, I mean trauma like that, can affect the body in all kinds of ways, however, that’s still some drop to 46 man. I would’ve been freaking out. I’m looking at all of her numbers over the months, it already looks like it’s been quite an ordeal trying to get her regulated.
    Well… Again, I hope she recovers well. And that her FD treatment goes well during this and in the future. Hopefully, TR well help reign in those numbers.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  14. Staci & Ivy

Thank you so much @Don & Xena that’s so kind of you. I understand what you mean about them wanting to sleep with us. Same here. Ivy was trying to get to me when she got hurt.
    She had previously refused to use the pet stairs we had next to the bed so we eventually removed them. She’s stubborn.
    It’s unfortunate she was already on a rapid overnight bg drop on a new higher dose yesterday morning (looking at her overnight Libre chart) and then the trauma just dropped her completely. I have seen a few drops like this before too for her, so not unheard of. (Yes I was freaking out on the way to the hospital. )
    I really appreciate the prayers, we need them. She’s such a sweet girl (though very feisty). She’s my little love.
    I’m sure hoping we can finally get her some regulation. It’s been tough. I do appreciate this community. So many wonderful and helping people!
    I wish you the best for Xena, too :cat:

Don & Xena likes this.
  15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Ivy. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  16. Staci & Ivy

Thank you @carfurby (GA) :arghh::bighug: I appreciate that so much.

17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about poor Ivy breaking her leg. Poor baby!

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  18. Staci & Ivy

Thank you @Bron and Sheba (GA) :arghh:

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  19. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry!! Cats seem to manage a trauma far better than our being traumatized by whatever they are going through. Remember to take care of yourself so you can care for Ivy!!

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  20. Red & Rover (GA)

I built a carpeted ramp for one of my cats.

Don & Xena and Staci & Ivy like this.
  21. Staci & Ivy

I sure hope so. She seems so miserable and I can’t blame her. She can’t even get into the litter box or eat on her own. I’m hand feeding her. The leg in the splint is so ling and in her way trying to maneuver. She toppled over. Just breaks my heart.
    Smart move. We have a low profile box but she has to get over the lip with one leg afflicted with neuropathy and the other in a splint. She just toppled over.
    She has somehow peed 2 times so I’m thrilled at that.
    Now hoping somehow for a poop! sorry for being gross!

22. Don & Xena

Don & Xena Member

Ahh.. poop, poop, poop the subject of poop isn’t taboo HERE for sure. Part of the everyday with cats. I made my own litter box for my cat.
    Just wanted a bigger box with a FLAT bottom so scooping the clumping litter would be easier.
    So I used a clear tote ( easy to see when something needs to be scooped. I’ve done it twice. The first time I used a Dremel to cut an opening in the front, this last time I used a strong box cutter (doing it, this way can be a challenge, but my dremmel wasn’t available.
    One of the really good things about using a tote like that is, you can just pull the top off and have plenty of room to maneuver for scooping, ALSO … if you have a cat that tends to pee off the side of the box, it won’t leak through any seems, because there are no all the way up to the lid. And you can make the entranceway as low as you want, but of course litter can spill out if you do it too low, but under your current circumstances, you could probably do it pretty low, and just keep the litter a little deeper towards the back.
    Just throwing it out there. I’ve never really been happy with the litter boxes they sell. Round ones, ones with spiral stairways. Ones that leak out the sides you know the deal.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  23. Red & Rover (GA)

The carpet benefitted my cat. By extending his nails into the carpet, he had a better grip.

Don & Xena likes this.
  24. Don & Xena

Don & Xena Member

Yeah that makes sense. Better than stairs if you have the room. So…That was to get on the bed or into the litter box or…?

25. Staci & Ivy

Yes!! I’m trying to think where I can get a large tote with virtually no side. I’m fine with that. Any ideas?? I’m open to anything. Where did you get yours? @Don & Xena

26. Red & Rover (GA)

The ramp was for the bed. I ran it parallel to the side of the bed. A 4x4 block of wood for the post and a 1x4 piece with carpet glued on for the ramp. Attached the main post to the underside of the bed with bungee cords for stability. It was not great art. Had to be aware when getting out of bed in the middle of the night.

Don & Xena and Staci & Ivy like this.
  27. Wendy&Neko

Large totes can be cut. Go to any hardware store, or someplace like Walmart, and use a utility knife to cut where you want.

28. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Staci & Ivy
    Oh Staci this breaks my heart to read this. I'm so sorry this happened to Ivy
    I see on your SS she will be having surgery on 5-30
    I will be praying for both of you!
    I know it might not matter now but you can give
    Start giving her Methyl B-12 for neuropathy, might help the other leg
    It's a capsule just open it and sprinkle it on the wet food food
    Vitacost. 14.49 for 100 capsules
    Just sprinkle it on the wet food always add water to the wet food
    One per day
    https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-b-12-methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-100-capsules-6

Tyler had neuropathy , I would say it took about 2 months for him to totally to start walking normal, jumping on to the couch and running.

You can start using the Methyl B-12 now

. A lot of members use the Vitacost brand now

I did see a small improvement I would say about every 2 weeks

I'll be praying for Ivy every day and for you too to send you strength
    Sending you lots of hugs :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

29. Don & Xena

Don & Xena Member

Walmart, you have to look for one that is as flat as possible on the bottom so you can scrape easier.
    What do you mean by no side though? I just made a video of mine, it is a bit crudely made as I just cut it with a razor knife. I was in a hurry, but I did sand the cut edges. None of them really have a completely flat bottom inside, but some are reasonably flat for scooping. Trying to link the video. Had to post it to youtube, couldn't upload it here.
    This is it.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/aHlCpH0Tkr8?feature=share
    I made mine so I could put the top back on, but you may want to just cut right through the top so there’s nothing obstructing her overhead, and she doesn’t have to squeeze through a hole. Maybe just make it and use it without the lid while she has to deal with the splint/cast. Just thought of that may be easier for her to get out if she doesn’t have to worry about her head hitting.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    Staci & Ivy likes this.
  30. Diane Tyler's Mom

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    Staci & Ivy likes this.
  31. Staci & Ivy

thank you @Diane Tyler's Mom that’s so appreciated! She’s been on Zobaline for a few months now and so far no help. But I know her numbers must get lower for any chance or improvement of neuropathy! We are trying so hard.

32. Don & Xena

Don & Xena Member

Hi…
    So these Methyl B-12 capsules are 5,000 mcl/capsule, right? That should be the starting dose 5000 mcl/day?
    Thank you in advance.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  33. Staci & Ivy

I believe that’s correct @Don & Xena but double check with @Diane Tyler's Mom

34. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Don yes I gave 1 a day to Tyler
    I know that the Zobaline is 3000 mcg's and the Vitacost brand is 5000 mcg's
    It's whatever they don't need they pee out
    Many members have used the Vitacost brand that's how I found out about , the Zobaline is too expensive for what you get for 60 pills
    . I gave one per day.
    they will just pee out the rest because they are water soluable vitamins

Just open the capsule sprinkle it on the wet food and always add water, mix it up good, it's tasteless
    @Don & Xena

Here is a code you can use for just today that they sent me for 12% off
    Tap on this blue link I posted it there
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/12-off-for-vitacost-site.278051/

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    Staci & Ivy likes this.
  35. Don & Xena

Don & Xena Member