? 5/30 Ivy, Hypo @ of end cycle? Surgery today no food allowed this am, how handle sharp drop if hypo?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Staci & Ivy, May 30, 2023.

1. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...help-to-handle-amps-299-1-306-2-343-3.278035/
    Ivy is going to have her broken leg surgery today. I was told not to give her insulin or food this am and suddenly her glucose is dropping quickly as she has been known to do lately. (Breaking bounce?)
    She is on 3.5 units Lantus, given last night at +11.5 ago.
    she’s at 199 now, but she tends to drop very fast when she drops like this.
    She’s on buprenorphine and I’m due to give her 200 mg gabapentin and trazodone 50 mg in 1/2 hour to take her to hospital so they can handle her. She’s very fractious!
    I want to be prepared in case she goes hypo!!
    * Urgent question :
    since she is going to have surgery today they told me not to feed her.
    What else I can do if she continues to drop before I am to take her to the hospital.
    I am due to leave my house in two hours from now, and it is almost an hour drive to the hospital, what do I do if she is dropping to hypo levels and I’m not supposed to give her food?
    How would I raise her glucose to a safe level without food?
    Thank you. @Bandit's Mom @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Wendy&Neko @Diane Tyler's Mom

Angela & Cleo and Bandit's Mom like this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Since you are skipping the shot, she should be okay. The only time you want to intervene is if she drops below 50 which will be really unlikely without insulin. Can you get a test with a regular meter in an hour?

One way to raise her numbers without food is to give her a little honey or karo or syrup - but you do not want to do this unless she is dropping below 50.

Good luck with the surgery. :bighug: You want to remind the vet again and again that she is diabetic. You might want to carry a can of the food that she normally eats and give it to them in case they want to feed her post surgery.

Karen and Chispa and Staci & Ivy like this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with what @Bandit's Mom has said.
    Unlikely, but take the honey with you incase you need it seeing you have a long drive.
    What a lucky kitty to have you!
    All the best for this surgery. Let us know how it goes:bighug:

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers that Ivy's surgery goes well, whenever you have a chance please keep us updated :bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. Staci & Ivy

Thank you everyone, I will keep you posted, many, many thanks for all the support :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Staci & Ivy

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...andle-sharp-drop-if-hypo.278068/#post-3075755

As many of you know, Ivy is at hospital awaiting surgery today for broken leg. She's not regulated yet and does a lot of bouncing and low BG and deep sharp dives early in both AM & PM cycles and around AMPS.
    On 3.5 Units Lantus currently.

I normally intervene at +1, +2, +3 with LC, food to keep her from dropping too sharply.

If she does drop drastically, I use her LC homemade diet, then MC food, sometimes adding a little Karo if needed (happened 2 nights ago for 3-4 hours after PM Shot (details below in link) from 5/28/23 (she was under 100 from a sharp dive very quickly, bounce breaking)
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-1-5-93-2-5-91-3-153-3-5.278028/#post-3075381

Question:
    While at hospital (will be for 2-3 days) I know they cannot monitor her as closely as I do (with her Libre 3 sensor) and will not know if she is dropping or heading into a deep dive, like I follow her.
    Any thoughts on how to ask them, to manage her diabetes care and what about a SAFE dose for her while in hospital?

Many thanks.
    @Bandit's Mom @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Wendy&Neko @Diane Tyler's Mom @tiffmaxee @Angela & Cleo

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Will they scan her at all? Maybe 3.0 but see what others say.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  8. Staci & Ivy

They said she will receive short acting insulin all today, will monitor during surgery.
    Sounds like will put her back on her Lantus tomorrow, wondering if I should give them instructions on dosing since I think she will stay there tomorrow (and maybe even tomorrow over night for monitoring). @tiffmaxee

9. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Can they not give her Lantus tonight instead of short-acting insulin?
    3U will also be easy for the people at the hospital to draw or give with a pen - if they are not using syringes with half unit marks. Will you be providing them with the Lantus and syringes?

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  10. Staci & Ivy

I did supply the lantus and my proper syringes, You think 3 U is a better way to go?

11. Staci & Ivy

And then how would I dose her upon coming home? @Bandit's Mom

12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I think 3 is a safe lantus dose while away as you don’t know how much she will eat. My animals never would. Once home we can figure out dosing but probably would return to 3.5.

Sue and Luci and Staci & Ivy like this.
  13. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Sending our thoughts and prayers your way. I was thinking of you and Ivy - hope she did well during the surgery and that you can get some rest while she's in the hospital recovering. :bighug::bighug:

tiffmaxee and Staci & Ivy like this.
  14. Staci & Ivy

Thank you Sue! I really appreciate your kind thoughts and prayers. Everyone has been so supportive, it makes me want to cry and send out a big hug to all of you :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    They say she did well. They will call tomorrow to let me know when to come get her. She’s very angry and didn’t like them poking her constantly (she’s spoiled with the Libre and less poking unless she goes really low).
    I plan on getting in bed super early for one single night. When Ivy comes home I’ll be up all night with medication round the clock and sleeping on the sofa again tomorrow. I now have to figure out how to get her back on her insulin routine without any deep diving BG’s.
    I’ll keep you posted once I get her home. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Don & Xena

Don & Xena Member

So Happy to hear she did well! Yay Ivy! I hope you can get her back on the regular schedule without too much frustration. Get some rest tonight.
    I’m sure Ivy will be happy to be home tomorrow.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  16. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  17. Staci & Ivy

Thank you so much @Don & Xena I hope so too. I will have to see what they say about how to get her back on schedule with all the meds and care she will need. It’s gonna be a long recovery. They said 2 months of very restrictive movement. No jumping for 8 weeks.
    No idea how to keep her under tight control like that. I will have to keep her in a small room with no furniture and let her out with supervision to the adjoining family room with us there to spend time together when we are home.
    I’m thankful she is repaired and now we have to let her heal :bighug:

Don & Xena likes this.
  18. Staci & Ivy

Thank you @carfurby (GA) :bighug: That is so appreciated!

19. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

So glad to hear that Ivy did well with her surgery, and I hope you were able to get some sleep! Wishing you both a speedy recovery from this ordeal. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  20. Staci & Ivy

Thank you @Karen and Chispa its gonna be a long hard road for her (and me too). No rest. Literally round the clock care 24/7. Hope it’s only a short while and she starts to feel better.
    Her appetite is not there, so that gets dicey. We need them to eat. Started mirtaz today. Fingers crossed!!
    :bighug::bighug:

Karen and Chispa likes this.