? 5/6/24 RICO AMPS 83 Advice on OTJ?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Carol & Rico, May 6, 2024.

1. Carol & Rico

Carol & Rico Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...mps-117-do-i-still-hold-the-same-dose.287325/

It's been quite some time that I haven't posted, mainly because I was focusing on regulating Rico and trying to plan ahead. Here's a quick summary: (1) He's had a dental surgery on 04/05 (2) he also had full bloodwork on the same day, which revealed EXTREMELY high liver numbers (see SS labs), so I had to combine his usual LC food with hepatic wet food as well (New tests will take place on 05/10, Friday) (3) I made a very strict feeding protocole consisting of 8 meals administered every 2 hours: 4 meals of Animonda pate diabetes + Disugual pate hepatic, 2 meals of Wellfed pate + Sam's Field holistic, 1 meal of Animonda carny + salmon oil & 1 meal with cooked chicken or turkey breast sprinled with Silibum Marianum (milk thistle).

All these seem to have worked because his BG numbers range between 55-95 for the past two weeks. So, he's on the 0.25 dose now, going down to 0.1 in 2 days. How long do I keep this low dose? 1 or two weeks? When he starts OTJ after that, do I keep the feeding protocole? IF he gets in remission, could I increase hepatic food amount and give less of diabetic? Overall, how do I proceed while he's on the OTJ period? Please advise.... Thank you!

@Wendy&Neko
    @Yanna
    @Chris & China (GA)
    @tiffmaxee
    @Bandit's Mom
    @Lori C & Tango
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    @Marje and Gracie

Yanna likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Rico is looking great! If he stays in normal numbers for a week on 0.25U, then you go down to 0.1U. If he stays all-green for a week on 0.1U, he is good for an OTJ trial.

Bandit got fatty liver in July 2023 from not eating for a few days when we traveling (AST:650, ALT: 1525). We didn't feed any hepatic food. Just her regular food (she started eating on her own after a week of assisted feeding) and we gave her a liver supplement - Denamarin (S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe) and Silybin). The vet also prescribed an antibiotic (Amoxycllin + Sulbactum) and Ursodiol. Within a month her liver values were back to normal.

Was the vet able to identify the cause of the high liver values?

3. Carol & Rico

Carol & Rico Member

The vet ran an ultrasound and x-rays along with the blood tests to check for tumors or swollen liver - they all came negative. He couldn't find a reason for such high numbers so he suggested the diet with a small amount of hepatic food and a new test (that is planned for the end of this week). If liver numbers remail high, he will proceed with Denamarin as well.

Rico just tested 45 at +4!! So, I guess we go to 0.1 tonight instead of Wednesday.

Heather82372 and Bandit's Mom like this.
  4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Congrats on the reduction! :)

You can start Denamarin right away. It's just a liver supplement. Do you need a prescription for it?

Carol & Rico likes this.
  5. Carol & Rico

Carol & Rico Member

Yes, I do. The vet said they are pills. This will be another problem because Rico refuses to take anything in pill form... :(

6. Carol & Rico

Carol & Rico Member

I'm re-replying because I wrote this comment in your post!
    "I need some extra info on how to proceed with his feeding during this phase. Do I carry on the same way? Feeding him every 2 hours and testing every 4?"

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Do you have gel capsules for pills? I’ve never given denamarin. If the pills are small you could try wrapping in a small amount of food into a ball . That works with my cat who gets Zyrtec.
    Your feeding schedule dues not need to change.

I looked on line and you don’t need an RX for denamarin in the US. Maybe not in other countries near you too?

Carol & Rico likes this.
  8. Carol & Rico

Carol & Rico Member

I'm not sureRico would go for gel capsules either and Denamarin must not be cut in smaller pieces (according to instructions). I also checked online and Denamarine is only available through vets in Greece. They sell it double the price but I will have to get it this way.

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That’s too bad it can’t be cut. You can’t pill him I guess? Someone has made a really good video in that. Would you like me to see if I can find it?

Carol & Rico likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m glad to see his BG doing so well.

There are companies in the US which sell a similar product to the Denamarin but in liquid form that does not require a prescription. I use Adored Beast Liver Tonic. There is a store in the UK that might ship to you as it states it ships to Europe and further.

Carol & Rico likes this.
  12. Carol & Rico

Carol & Rico Member

I know - I also watched their video. I contacted the US company but I didn't know I could get them in the UK too. This is more convenient for me. Does it do the same work as Denamarin?

13. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Yes. I use it, at the suggestion of my vet, for my kitty who has elevated ALT from time to time.

Carol & Rico likes this.
  14. Carol & Rico

Carol & Rico Member

Yes, please.