? 5/6, Binie, back from clinic, changing dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Heike & BInie, May 6, 2024.

1. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Last post: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/5-5-binie-stays-in-the-clinic-overnight.289623/

Good evening,

Binie came back from the clinic yesterday evening. They gave her fluids, continued to give Novalgin and Efex. And they gave her Mirataz for her appetite. Binie was better afterwards, more alive and awake. Today she is still better but exhausted and sleepy. After a nice curve at the clinic yesterday she was all red at night. Tomorrow we will see her vet and we will talk about further examination to find the source of the inflammation they saw in the blood. They suspect it could be a pancreatitis.

I start to feel very conflicted about all the examinations and treatments. It was so stressful for her in the clinic and tomorrow there will be more examinations at the vet. At least the vet knows how to handel her.

If I look at the curve and the rising ketones I think it is wise to up the dose to 3 IU? tomorrow? I am a bit scared as from thursday to saturday I will not be able to monitor her all day due to obligations in my job. But I arranged I can come back in my lunchbreak to have a look. And at the moment the rise of ketones scares me more than a possible hypo.

Thank you so much for all the loving support and advice! You really make this so much easier! Hope everyone is having a safe and pleasant day! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm happy Binie is home and I'm sorry you have to go back to the clinic with her for more examinations, poor baby ♥
    I hope they can find out where the inflammation is coming from .
    I hope one of the experienced will reply back to you about if you should increase Binie's dose :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Heike & BInie likes this.
  3. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Heike, I’m so happy for you that Binie is back at home. It sounds like they gave her good care and I’m hoping your own vet will give you more answers.

Sending more love and prayers to both of you and hoping you can both rest well tonight. Please let us know what the vet says.

Sleep well ❤️
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

After tonight will be 14 cycles on this dose, with only one under 150. And that was at the vet? Anyway, I think you could increase by 0.25 units. The existence of ketones is also a hint that she needs more insulin. As long as you can leave food out for her and check her at lunch, I think she'll do fine.

Did they give you anything to take home to give her to treat pancreatitis?

5. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you Wendy! I will increase tomorrow morning! Yes, the one under 150 was at the clinic. Strange, isn't it? I gave them a sample syringe so the dosing should be similar to mine but you never know. For the possible pancreatitis they told me to continue to give novalgin and to use the Mirataz. They saw no point to give the antibiotics but told me to talk with my vet about it. We will be there tomorrow afternoon and I keep you all updated. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Typically pancreatitis is treated with pain medication, fluids, and anti nausea (Cerena or ondansetron). I don't like giving an appetite stimulant (Miritaz) to a cat who is nauseous, as it can cause food aversion.

Neko'a BG went lower at the vet too. :rolleyes:

7. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you so much Staci! I will keep you updated for sure! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  8. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you so much Diane! Yes, I also hope they find out. On the other hand I am extremly conflicted about all the examinations. Binie doesn't take it very well. Hope you have a relaxed evening with Tyler! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Ah, now I understand what my vet sad! She also doesn't give appetite stimulant but I didn't understand the reason for that. I will ask her for ondansetron tomorrow. I don't know if she has it becaues last week she gave Cerenia. Thank you so much, that was again a very helpful hint! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Ondansetron (brand name Zofran) is a human medication used mostly for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy so it's very doubtful your vet would keep it in the office. You'd need a script so you can get it at a human pharmacy. Call around because the price can vary by quite a bit from pharmacy to pharmacy.

Heike & BInie and Staci & Ivy like this.
  11. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you Chris! I got a script for Odansetron from the vet today. We live in Germany and here these meds are regulated, so the price is the same everywhere. No chance to make a good deal.... :rolleyes: