? 5/8 Benny AMPS 429 +2 419 +5 439 +7 364 AMPS 444

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ben&Squirrel, May 8, 2022.

1. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...49-6-489-10-464-pmps-429.263008/#post-2946980

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms and catmoms here!

I have a couple of questions.

First, I've done more BGs today but they are all in the same range. Do I still need to post every one in the title here?

Second, I have a question for @tiffmaxee or @Bandit's Mom @Wendy&Neko or any other wise person who knows these things.

I'm looking to put Benny on TR soon.

I have been holding back on feeding during Benny's downswings in bg on the idea that we wanted to know what and when his "normal" nadir was. However, should I be giving him a little food during his downswings to PREVENT him from going too low? That would mean it was more likely I could give him a full shot later. I think.

Can you shed some light on whether I should just be watching his drops, or should I be feeding him a little (maybe some MC?) so that he does not drop too far? Thank you!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Benny is all over the place because he’s not yet regulated. It’s to be expected. The way to regulation is fir him to be in normal bg numbers as much as possible so his body adjusts to normal bg. So yes, you want to feed him if he’s dropping to keep him on better numbers as much as possible. That will help him to not bounce as much. We call that feeding the curve. I used to feed 4 mini meals each cycle and more if Max’s bg was dropping.

If you switch to TR you would give a little higher carb lc or mc if he’s dropping too fast at the beginning of the cycle. Since you were following SLGS I would have fed some mc to prevent the drop under 90 on 5/3. With TR I would have fed lc. I’m going to link some info on feeding the curve.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Today was a high and flat day. I could have stopped testing by +4, as he wasn't showing any appreciable drop and was in fact headed back up. No, you don't need to post every test in the subject line if they are more or less the same.

Don't withhold food to determine when his nadir is. You actually want to know when it is when you feed as you normally do. And as Elise said, when he's in these higher numbers, the patterns of when his nadirs tend to be will be hard to figure out. Once he starts seeing more normal numbers it'll become a lot clearer.

Paws crossed this dose will get him into better numbers soon.

5. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member