6/1 Pearl PMPS 82, +3.25 81

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margaret (and Pearl), Jun 1, 2021.

1. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

3. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Pearl is still looking beautiful :bighug: Good luck with the new foods. As an aside, I was at Whole Foods the other day and noticed they had Wellness pate in their pet section...I didn't look closely to flavors or to what else they had but just wanted to mention it incase you are near a WF.

Hope you all have a good day!

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  4. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Ziwipeak venison:
    8.31% carbs when calculated using as-fed. 10.58% carbs when calculated using dry matter basis. So let's call it 9.45% carbs. technically falls within LC range of <10%. While the numbers are accurate it doesn't necessarily reflect exactly what is in the can.
    Regardless, it is nowhere near the 3% carbs listed on Dr. Lisa's chart. She did that many years ago. Ziwi must've changed the formula.
    Sorry it didn't work out. Hopefully you get the Wellness foods soon.

5. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thanks so much for this Lyla. I appreciate it so much. I really need to figure out how to do the calculations myself. I am hoping the Wellness gives more success bc at least I know Pearl can tolerate their beef ok. I ordered all the options they have for beef grain free. Includes chicken ugh but maybe Pearl will like and tolerate that ok.

6. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Check your messages :bighug: I resent you the SS that you can make a copy of and use (I forgot to say make a copy in my message but copy it to your SS and then have "fun" with calcs!).

7. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thank you Susanne! It's so nice to see you, I hope you are doing well!

8. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Below is the link for the Tufts University Vet Nutrient Converter. Easy to plug in the #s (just make sure you have the “typical” analysis vs the “guaranteed” analysis for all the macro and micro nutrients. This is often where a call has to made to the manufacturer for the up to date info unless a member on the already board has it :)).

The way the board certified nutritionists do it is by converting all of the nutrient amounts to the same units based on calories (units per 100 kcal). The calculator will do this for you. Now you are in a position to compare apples to apples to use their words :rolleyes:.

The final step is to determine the amounts of the nutrients your specific cat is getting based on “calories fed”. This is an important step & one that is often not done. This is the only way to really know the actual amounts of the nutrients your specific cat is getting & whether or not the amounts are appropriate. For example, I have one cat who has had high normal renal labs for a year. If one were to look at the food he is eating from general #s or general percentages only, the one food he eats would not be an appropriate choice, however, due to the fact that he is eating a lower # of calories, the #s for all the nutrients change (they are also lower) and the food is a actually a perfectly fine option for him right now. The board certified nutritionist has been key because while we don’t want too much of certain micronutrients (like P) we also want to make sure there is a balance of Ca with P and also want to make sure that with the calories being lowered, there isn’t going to be a deficiency with other nutrients that can potentially lead to health issues with time.

Hopefully, the nutrient calculator will make this a bit easier for you to determine nutrients on your own when you want or need to. There are options on the calculator, so whatever works best for you :)!! I just wanted to share more detailed info in case it is helpful.

https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2017/08/nutrient_converter/

9. Margaret (and Pearl)

...I might need to ask for help! Ayy!

10. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

It is actually easier than it sounds/or reads. At first, it just seems like a lot & as if one is drinking from a fire hose, but just take one step at a time. Use the calculator. See if you can figure out how many calories she eats. This becomes more important with age, so it’s a good time to try to do it. I have one cat I need to keep weight on and three I need to keep weight off, so I need to be mindful of calories. There are also medical conditions, so the nutrients making up those calories are important as well. Once you know how many calories you need to keep her at her ideal weight, and the nutrients that are best for her, the rest becomes easier to figure out.

If it is possible to pull off financially, consulting with a vet nutritionist is always helpful. Some will do direct to client consults vs vet to vet only. The one who does list that he does direct with client & he has the knowledge and openness about various types of diets is Dr Bartges, now out of U GA. He was at Cornell at one point and did an extensive dissertation on raw feeding with kittens. His knowledge is extensive which is refreshing. He isn’t going to just go down a limited path of Rx diets & that is so nice! Just wanted to throw it out there. Again, some of them are very integrative while others are going to be limited & focus on Rx diets.

Here is the link for Dr Bartges:
    https://acvn.org/directory/listing/joe-bartges/

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

What a beautiful day Pearl had. :cat: