6/1 Xena AMPS 274, +3 287, +8.5 298, PMPS 316, +2.5 302

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Don & Xena, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Don & Xena

Don & Xena Member

Numbers haven’t come down still. If nothing changes we’re looking at another .25 increase tomorrow night.
    She even got her “insulin onset meal“ late today by an hour, and her numbers were not down. Not sure if that means anything significant other than I haven’t found the right dose yet.… And to think I was afraid to give her more than one unit to start.

Yesterday’s post:

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...02-6-296-8-276-pmps-281-3-5-267-7-259.278124/

Deb and Sylvester likes this.
  2. Deb and Sylvester

Deb and Sylvester Well-Known Member

She looks pretty flat, could go either way!

See where she goes, could be new dose wonkiness too.

Don & Xena likes this.
  3. Breelynne

Breelynne Member

I was looking at the numbers. She is kinda flat like Allie. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    What do you feed Xena? Allie eats a whole can at breakfast. I was looking and Xena gets 1/4 of a can? Friskies?
    Trying to stick to a time schedule as well as the amounts to feed and when.

4. Don & Xena

Don & Xena Member

I feed her, mostly Friskies pate, but I also feed her fancy feast, classic pate, and sometimes fancy feast flaked meals… I only recently started mixing in fancy feast, but only wet food from Dr. Pearson‘s list that has 7% carbs or less basically.
    I try to stick to two cans a day, because they’re about 165 to 170 cal each can (I treat fancy feast as half a can since it’s 3 ounces versus Friskies 5.5 ounces and the calories per ounce are similar.)
    I’ve seen different numbers of how many calories a cat should eat to maintain their weight. I’ve seen 20 to 30 calories per pound/day I’ve seen 25 to 36 calories per pound/day…
    I was using 27.5 cal per pound/ day because originally I saw from 25 to 30 per pound, so I use the average, and e a is 14.5 pounds. So they gave me 398 cal so it was like 2.25 cans a day, but Wendy said that her 14 pound cats are fine on like 250 cal a day so since I don’t want.Xena to gain weight and make things worse, I figured I’d drop it a little. So two cans is about 350 cal, but that Hass to be spread out over 24 hours so it’s one can per cycle I don’t stick to it like it is set in stone, if she seems really hungry, I’ll give her a little extra, but I mainly try to give her a small meal at preshot, so she can have a little bit bigger meal around two hours after preshot when the insulin is kicking in, and I try to give her another decent size meal I like +6 and ideally that would be her last meal till the next preshot since theoretically the insulin isn’t as strong in the second half of the cycle. This type of feeding schedule is what was suggested to me by the admin’s here, and it seems to make sense I know you really don’t want to be feeding them anything for at least 2 or 2.5 hrs before the preshot test, because you want a number that’s not affected by recent food intake.
    I’m not gonna focus on trying to get her to lose weight while I’m trying to get her regulated, but I don’t want her to gain weight or have a whole bunch of extra sugar in her system. And like they say ECID, every cat is different… And some diabetic cats don’t eat that much so ideally, you want to give them some food with their pre-shot to make sure they’re going to eat some thing, but you don’t want to give them too much so that they won’t eat at the onset of the insulin… When they get to the right dose in their numbers, start coming down into the greens and possible limes, that’s when you really need to make sure they’re gonna eat some thing at the right times. Right now I know Xena will eat whenever I feed her so it’s not a huge issue at the moment (worrying about her, not eating on the insulin kicks in.) however, there was two days there that she did start leaving some food on the plate and not eating. Every time I fed her which was totally out of character, and I thought it was because she was getting close to regulated but now she’s back to eating everything.
    Like I said once before, I don’t know if her numbers were low because something was bothering her and she wasn’t eating as much or if she wasn’t eating as much because her numbers were low. It’s strange that it only lasted a couple days. Maybe she didn’t feel good, I don’t know she’s keeping me on my toes, just like Allie is keeping you on yours.

5. Don & Xena

Don & Xena Member

@Deb and Sylvester @Breelynne

do you guys ever get a number that you just think that can’t be right so you retest and you get a completely different number? That’s happened to me twice lately. I know the glucometer’s aren’t perfect but I tested her and she came out at 355 and I was pretty sure that couldn’t be right, so I tested her with my other glucometer and a new strip in my regular glucometer, and the alternative glucometer said 298 and my regular glucometer with a different strips and 316, so I went with the 316 number. Obviously it’s a lot more vital when they’re low and I know glucometers are less accurate at higher numbers, but a difference of like 30, 40, 50 points is a little frustrating.

Deb and Sylvester likes this.
  6. Deb and Sylvester

Deb and Sylvester Well-Known Member

Yes, a few weeks ago, Sly was high as a kite, but one particular test was off. He was reading 320, 330, 318. Then I got a 272, so I tested again, and it read 336, I was like WOW, that is a big gap.

The smaller the numbers get, the less of a difference you'll see, but that being said, if a number seems out of place, test again to be sure.

Don & Xena likes this.
  7. Breelynne

Breelynne Member

Dang 2 cans Allie does 3+ but that is Fancy Feast small cans and I also either give them poached salmon or chicken or something as close to real food for snacks to fill them up. Yep. I'd like to keep her calories to about 260-280.
    I hear you, higher numbers they want more food and water lower numbers less food and less water.
    ECID and sometimes their usual isn't usual. Today after the vet visit Allie's sugar was 303...Thought it'd be higher (she was ticked off).

I think you are following the same game plan as me it is let's do this and get that sugar down, finding a good routine helps I think but then there are days (which are most days) something happens to that routine to mess it up!

Usually if they don't feel good the numbers go up but then ECID!

When Allie has her lower numbers she doesn't eat or drink as much, she watches me in the kitchen never asks for food and when I look and she is gone to the porch or her box I let her be. Guess that could very well become a habit that when I'm in the kitchen she thinks she gets to eat.

Keep up the good work and thanks for your insight as to how you are trying to manage on your end, makes me realize I'm not the only one trying to figure out the puzzle so to say. Human diabetics are supposed to eat 3 times a day with 2 snacks but then that could be looked at as old school. We are all different just like cats!

Don & Xena likes this.