6/12 Darcy Darned if he hasn’t hit 48 again at +8.25 Reducing.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzanne & Darcy, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hello everybody! I hope everyone is having a great Saturday (or have already had one for some of you who are way ahead of me in time!)

I'm somewhat at a loss as to how much insulin I need to try to get Mr. Darcy back onto a more regular schedule and a more even keel. I gave him 3.5 units last night and he dropped from 174 to 75 in two and a half hours. That was surprising. I guess the 174 was with vet stress and once he got home his BG came way down (because Lev won't usually do that to him in only 2.5 hours!). This morning, I tried 3 units. He needs to stabilize a bit and rebuild his depleted depot.

He is not eating this morning. I fed him. He is drinking water and urinating. No BMs. I have a bad feeling that we will be right back where we started from on Monday. I think I need a little kitty treadmill to make him walk on it! He is very happy to be home though. Right now he is sleeping in his favorite soft blankie.

The vet said to back off of the aluminum hydroxide because it can be constipating. I'm back to using Epakitin, but I know it's not as strong as AlOH. He is also getting niacinamide 100 mg; I hope these two things will keep his phosphorus under control. I'm going to have to get him rechecked soon anyway because his HCT was so low it will soon be time to start ESA injections to bring it up ... unless it improves.

yesterday's:https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-11-darcy-ambg-65-no-shot-this-morning.248479/#post-2802551

Our Dolly Girl (GA) likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Thank you, Carla!

4. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Sorry about the not eating but what wonderful greens for Mr D and glad to hear he is happy and snuggly, and drinking. Just need to get to work on the evacuating. Hope you have a good Satruday, seems like a good day for peach ice cream.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. My husband has already said he wants peach ice cream today. I said if he went out and planted his potatoes that we would go get some.

He has already “racked” his Cabernet Sauvignon and got it on the oak chips now so I guess he can have ice cream!

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  6. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Suzanne, wish you could have a day with not so many things that are affecting Darcy, your usual amazing balancing act :bookworm:. I hope he starts eating again for his little body’s sake and for your emotional well being. It’s hard, our Dolly’s problems different and not as serious but it’s ALL JUST SO HARD!!! :arghh: Wishing you and your family, beans and pets, a good weekend. Praying for solutions for Darcy. Sending big hugs to all :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Here we go again. He is at 48. When I checked up on him he had eaten the small portion of food that I left for him.
    I am wondering if yesterday at the vet when she told me his BG was 199 that it wasn’t a bounce from him dropping low when they weren’t monitoring. I don’t know what time that was.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

:) Got him back up to 73 after 30 minutes. Now he is eating a little more as I am typing.

Lisa & Oberon and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  9. Liz & Minnie

Drama Darcy! Seems like a Freestyle Libre might be helpful for you right now (of course Sunday....)

10. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

So glad you can weather these drops with Darcy eating! I second the idea of a Libre. Am thinking of putting one on Ruby, not because of the ear pricks but I'm curious to know where she goes when I don't prick her. The new version, the Libre2, will beep if he goes low. I love that feature.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  11. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

You are so amazingly calm. I'd be 911-ing all over the place! Great job, and I hope you got some ice cream!

12. Suzanne & Darcy

I'm not sure how much to shoot. He has a reduction coming to him, of course, but I think that the blues I am seeing now may be a small bounce (they usually don't last long) from the lime (he didn't even bounce at all last time he had a lime). So I'm anticipating low numbers again. I'm not sure if I want to reduce by 1/2 unit or a whole unit?

13. Suzanne & Darcy

I would not leave to go get ice cream until I saw that 145. So everybody got peach ice cream. He ate more food while we were away so that was good, too!

I think I'm going to cut him to 2 units since he seems determined to dive so much lately.

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  14. Liz & Minnie

Darcy is getting in on the shenanigan action!

15. Suzanne & Darcy

He is looking forward to the next pawty!

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  16. Liz & Minnie

I feel that it's going to be a new dance craze, the Shenanigan. It involves lots of leaping and diving.

Lisa & Oberon and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  17. Suzanne & Darcy

:D:p:D Yes. Perfect for cats!

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

2 units is probably too little, but it's so much easier to start low, build the depot and increase as needed. You've had to dose all over the place which has made it really hard to figure out what to do. Keep in mind that what you shoot one cycle, is often seen the following cycle. (thanks depot:rolleyes:).

19. Suzanne & Darcy

20. Kathy and tiger

Kathy and tiger Well-Known Member

Suzanne you are an amazing mama!
    Where's my peach ice cream?

21. Suzanne & Darcy

Thank you! Tiger might want a different flavor though!

Kathy and tiger likes this.
  22. Liz & Minnie

Suzanne, Darcy - what's news with you? Are you back at the vet for fluids? Any sign of evacuation? Eating, drinking? Aunties want to know!! I already checked the s/s. :bighug::bighug: from me and Minnie

23. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member