6/12 Minnie PMPS 278

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Liz & Minnie, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I used to separate the ondansetron by at least 1/2 hour from any appy stim. You want to give it time to work. Looking at the SS, looks like she started eating again. Whew!

Is she getting probiotics too? Separated by at least two hours from the ABs of course. Poor thing - you'll need a special day scheduler for all her meds.

3. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Yay for eating!

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Liz & Minnie

She did start eating, but still being a finicky diva. She's getting some boulardii, I half wonder if that's what is making her picky with the food - everything that's mixed in! I'm about to give a snack, feeling guilty about the Mirtaz, then work myself up to giving the a/b which is a real procedure...draw up a/b in one syringe, draw up saline in the other syringe, unscrew & put the a/b into the saline syringe, then switch in a new needle before injecting...somewhere different from the insulin site so she doesn't associate any sting with insulin. At least I'm on a reprieve from SQ fluids until hearing back from the vet!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Also, any antibiotic can cause inappetence. Although you would hope that since this is injectable it would bypass the GI tract and cause less of this. I bet she doesn’t like all that junk in her food.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Good grief that’s complicated. Where are you giving her the shot? Is this day 2 of 10?

8. Suzanne & Darcy

And I hope Minnie is drinking quite a bit of water? I want her to stay hydrated. Can you mix some water in her food to make it a little soupy?

9. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

How does Miss Minnie do with syringing? I know some caregivers make a slurry with supplements, meds, and some baby food and do that once a day. A personal sized Magic Bullet helps with the slurry making cuz you can pulverize any tablets.

10. Liz & Minnie

True confessions, I am typing this after a fairly strong alcoholic beverage...it took 3 hours to get the antibiotics shot in her. That needle is a LOT bigger than an insulin needle and it's a total of 2ml. Perhaps we are not ready for SQ fluids. Got the first half in her while eating (avoiding the insulin location) then the 2nd half took 2 attempts with a double towel burrito near her back legs. I was pinching everywhere to figure out where I could make the tent.

I always add water to food and make it soupy so hopefully that's enough. She only drinks with BG >300 (maybe 400? been so long I don't remember) or apparently with unmanaged UTI.

MAGIC BULLET! I am a convert, bought it when she had the feeding tube and it was a godsend. Haven't had to syringe feed since just before the hospital month but don't have high hopes. She is so stubborn. Takes after her mama. It was a real battle of wills to get that a/b in her. Did I mention 3 hours??

Just realised, tonight's PMPS meal had no meds mixed in but I got the potassium in earlier at least. Will sneak in the other stuff later tonight. I think she is on pokey reprieve for the rest of the evening (though fortunately I seem to have mostly got the knack and only need to press the lancet in the right location, not even poking)