? 6/14 Fred dosing advice after mild hypo

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Purrberry, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

We're still in the weeds of this right now, but hopefully, Fred is coming up for good.

It's been an interesting start with Levemir. I'd been waiting a few days before posting to see how things were really going, but Fred's response to Levemir has been unbelievably surprising. What has me most stunned is Lev's seeming ability to cut through what I assume are bounces at the end of each cycle. With Lantus, we'd be hanging out there for days. It's almost as if the Lev is acting like an in and out insulin....I'd think that if I didn't know how much of a bouncer Fred is. The ups and downs have not been fun for him, but I've been happy that at least the AM and PM pre shots have now been "bookends", rather than anyone's guess. I've also been hoping that he'd get used to the lower numbers; he's never had them this consistently before.

Anyway, once the Levemir really kicks in, he seems to go flying down. Onset and nadir have, thankfully, been about the same as Lantus. But he has had serious drops in a very small amount of time. Enter today. I'm really kicking myself because I saw the signs. As the Lev depot was building, the nadir was getting lower. But I still couldn't believe he'd go from 157 to 62 in 45 minutes. I tested three times to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and then started in on Karo and MC. I NEVER would have known it was happening at first. Unlike the last time, he didn't act terribly hungry..just jumped up for water from the faucet. As this is how we do our testing, I figured I wouldn't waste a data opportunity. It was by complete chance and luck I did a test then, as I'd just done one, and thank GOD I was home. He then started to hide, and I saw a little head twitch.

Levemir is scaring me a bit, right now. It is clearly more powerful on Fred's system than I could have imagined. I want to drain the depot a little, especially as we head into the night. I will obviously reduce overall...I'm not sure how much, yet. I'm going away both this weekend and next, so now I'm completely freaked. But for tonight..what might be a good dose? Please keep in mind that Lev REALLY pulls him down.

Thank you!

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

We're having similar experience since the increase, albeit higher numbers. I dont have advice, just solidarity!

Purrberry likes this.
  3. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

@FrostD Levemir is something else, isn't it?? Yay for Mr. Kitty's numbers!

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ohhh your MC is dry that's probably part of what you're seeing.

5. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

In his numbers coming up?

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Both up and down. Since the dry hangs around longer it might just be wearing off around the same time as onset so you get a bigger dip. But I'm really not sure honestly. Hopefully someone else has some advice!

Since you're following SLGS he did earn a reduction. As far as trying to get to a vacation dose I'm not sure. What's your pet sitter situation?

7. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

50s on AT2 are too low, he's earned a reduction, with SLGS that would be reduce immediately next shot with any number under under 90. I'd go down to 5u tonight.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  8. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

I use the MC only to bring him up or if he's dropping too fast. Otherwise, he's super low carb on a raw, homemade diet and Young Again/Dr. Elsey's dry.

I have two great sitters, each of which is staying overnight both weekends. They test before every shot, and in the case of one of them, and then some. But I know they don't test overnight, and the issue is that Fred always eats less when I'm away. Thus, he tends to get wacky and generally lower numbers. I'm concerned because my experience with Levemir is so new.

Definitely going to reduce. I want to drain the depot a little, though, so I'm wondering if I should do more of a reduction just for tonight.

9. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

He may bounce tonight from the lower numbers today, but certainly doing a BCS at PMPS to drain the depot may be something to consider if he doesn't come up to where you are comfortable shooting 5u.

10. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Amazingly ng change with the insulin switch! Congrats on the reduction.

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Thank God you were home and caught that low, must have been scary.
    I hope he surfs safely. :bighug::bighug: