6/22 Cinna | AMPS 84 | PMPS 97 | Dx: UTI :(

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by alio, Jun 22, 2022.

1. alio

alio Member

6/21: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-21-cinna-amps-97-pmps-92.264896/

PM cycle... fed at +4 and +9, both times the Libre alarm sounded a half-hour later. His +0 and +2 meals don't really have the same effect.

Libre is on fine form this morning....

AMPS 115 on Libre. Tested 84 on Lite 7 mins later (had to get stuff to warm his ear); scanned again right after the blood test and got 126 on Libre.

He had a small meal after his shot.

+1 146 on Libre! Pretty sure that is lies, but we will see what it says at +2. He's sleeping out in the catio in the morning sun right now.

Bobbi Kraham likes this.
  2. Bobbi Kraham

Bobbi Kraham Member

Cinna's SS looks great. I got to the point where I couldn't trust the libre so had to spot check with ear pricks. It's great for showing trends, but in our case, wasn't accurate at lower numbers. How are you managing with the 0.10 dose? I'm not convinced I'm giving Dimi any less than I gave at 0.25, but trying with my tired eyes to see a difference.

alio likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I really think ear pricks are more reliable. Even if accurate that’s food influenced. The .25 is no longer in play. Let’s see green by +3 Cinna.

Bobbi Kraham likes this.
  4. alio

alio Member

Yeah, it's great for trends but sometimes it goes a bit crazy on individual scans lol. That 0.1 vs 0.25, it's tricky. A magnifying glass helps. I figure getting the dose exactly accurate to 0.1 or 0.25 isn't as important as being consistent. For me, 0.1 is the top of the plunger touching the bottom of the zero line, and 0.25 is a sliver of space between the top of the plunger and the bottom of the zero line. I also check the plunger consistently lines up fully on the zero line before using a syringe. So that's how I'm doing it.

Yeah, ear pricks are way more accurate; I've spot-checked with ear pricks enough to know when to be suspicious of the Libre. What I don't understand about the food reaction is that his other meals cause a drop, but the +0/+1/+2 meals do not seem to do the same thing.

Anyway, the latest updates:
    +2 71 (I was on a work call, then the vet called, and I totally spaced giving him his +2 meal)
    +3 100 (gave him some food after scanning)

The vet called because I'd noticed Cinna was still drinking a lot of water; I collected a urine sample and took it in for testing on Monday. She meant to call me then and spaced it; she was really apologetic; she then told me she's moving back home out of state which is terrible news, she's been really great to work with. Fortunately, they have other great doctors at the same clinic.

So the bad news is Cinna has a UTI, the good news is that everything else is looking good. I was really worried he was going to throw a kidney or liver issue at me. I will be picking up some antibiotics today to get it taken care of.

Maybe that is why his bg is a little up? I'm not sure this is entirely the cause of the excessive drinking; I think maybe the budesonide is contributing to that, but I guess we will see. Just happy everything else was looking good!

Bobbi Kraham likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

Sorry about the uti and even sorrier about your vet moving. You are lucky if there are others at the practice that you trust. I only trust my vet at my practice and I worry what to do when he retires. Finding vets that you can trust are super hard right now where I live.

The uti definitely explains the rise in bg. If getting a liquid antibiotic double check there’s no sugar added.

alio likes this.
  6. alio

alio Member

When I lived in NZ still, we were rural so didn't have much options for vets unless we wanted to drive 45 mins into town. Luckily, our local country vet was amazing and only 5 mins away. We became pretty good friends too; I still drop by and visit when I'm back home.

We are getting pills, Cinna hates having his mouth messed with so oral liquids are a nightmare. Hiding pills in food is the easiest method for him lol.

7. tiffmaxee

I’ve not been successful with liquids either. I use gel capsules although the one time I tried with my current one I failed. :banghead:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    alio likes this.
  8. alio

alio Member

Pretty green day; got one really out there Libre reading at +8, it came in at 131 but when I tested on the Lite it was 69.

I forgot his +9 snack so he reminded me at +10; so I gave him a little bit of food then. +11.5 he crashes to 53, back up to 97 at PMPS (both of those numbers are suspect lol).

He had his first dose of antibiotic at AM+5

PMPS 97 - hopefully will have a nice green night :)

tiffmaxee likes this.