6/25 Esca AMPS 474, +2 349, +5 306, +8 456, PMPS 547 +1 427, +3 321 +5 315

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kirsta & Esca, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Kirsta & Esca

Kirsta & Esca Member

Prev Post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...7-repost-from-yesterday-dosing-advice.265007/

We've lost all control today. Trying not to be sad seeing these high numbers again after all those beautiful greens and blues.

Esca seems to be sleepier than usual these past two days, but moreso this evening. Is extra sleepiness something that's typical with sudden high numbers? Prior to these past two days he was starting to run and play again. He was using his scratch board again. So seeing him this sleepy has me just shy of panicking, so I wanted to check if this is something that is usually seen, I couldn't find anything specific by searching. No history of Ketones or anything else.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Any chance the insulin has gone bad? This looks like that. Do you have another pen you can try tomorrow morning?
    Don't throw away this pen. In case it is not the insulin, you can always go back and finish it.

ETA: About the sleepiness, you have it right. Before they are regulated, their body is used to high numbers and they find lower numbers disorienting. Like a caffeine withdrawal. Once they get used to lower numbers, it's the other way around. They are happy and energetic and their "old selves" in lower numbers and feel lethargic in higher numbers.

3. Kirsta & Esca

Kirsta & Esca Member

I can't imagine it would have gone bad this quickly - it's been in the fridge the entire time on the middle shelf and was only purchased about 2 weeks ago. It still looks good/clear. I do have another pen and will try it tomorrow morning to see what happens!

Also good to know about the lethargy in higher numbers - I can take a few steps back from the panic button lol

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. Bandit's Mom

Is he drinking and eating okay? Anything else that could throw his numbers off? Any chance he got into food (pet or human) that he shouldn't have?

Do get a test before bed. It's possible the 547 is a high before the bounce breaks - he is already much lower 30 mins after - no food bump. So he could possibly be much lower by the morning. (Though why he is suddenly bouncing to the moon, I don't know - because he can?!)

Will you be up a while? Can get a +4 or +5?

5. Kirsta & Esca

Kirsta & Esca Member

Ah, so I've decided to take a bit of the insulin and spray it onto a napkin - my husband said that he doesn't recall smelling it very strongly lately. It definitely has less of an odor than usual and kind of... sweeter smelling? (certainly not candy sweet by any means)
    The new pen has a stronger smell and smells more "insulin-y". I'm not sure if that's any indication of its efficacy or not!

I hadn't paid much attention to his eating and drinking today, but his eating has definitely slowed down over the past few days. I attributed it to lower numbers, though. I do have a camera set up in his room to record movement events and did notice him go to his bowl a few times, but can't tell how long he was there eating. Small chance he found some human food (toddler snacks) on the floor, but would have been crumbs or small bits. Though he typically doesn't bother with human food too often.

No food test @ +3 is 321. I am heading to bed within the next 30 mins or so, but I can wake up at +5 to test again.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Bandit's Mom

He is coming down at good speed. Feed a little LC before bed? See you at +5 or even +6.

7. Kirsta & Esca

Kirsta & Esca Member

I've just put some fresh down for him and am watching for him to take a nibble before I head up to bed. Will update in a few hours!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  8. Bandit's Mom

Leave the food for him to graze on :)

9. Kirsta & Esca

Kirsta & Esca Member

He’s not touched much food but he’s been drinking a lot of water over the past two hours or so.
    +5 315

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  10. Bandit's Mom

Flat in the last 2 hours. Try the new pen tomorrow morning.

11. Kirsta & Esca

Kirsta & Esca Member

300 AMPS +2 247 +3 141

We’re active today woo hoo! But now totally not sure if it’s the pen since his AMPS was lower.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  12. Bandit's Mom

Stay with the new pen for a few days and see. Feed a little after each test? That will slow him down.

13. Kirsta & Esca

Kirsta & Esca Member

I’ll do that!
    He’s not too interested in food so far, but I keep offering. Little nibbles here and there. If he keeps up with this slow pace on eating today I’m going to give the vet a call tomorrow.

Bandit's Mom likes this.