6/26 Cinna | AMPS 83 | +3 69 | PMBG 76 | OTJ Trial Starts Now

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by alio, Jun 26, 2022.

1. alio

alio Member

6/25: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-25-cinna-amps-76-3-72-pmps-74-3-72.265051/

Interesting PM cycle, just after +6 he woke me up by chirping and attacking my phone charger cable to get attention (somehow he worked out biting cables works lol); he hasn't done that for a while at that time of night so I thought I better make sure he wasn't going low; he wasn't, he was 67. So I gave him a freeze dried treat and made him wait until +9 for his regular snack.

About 45 mins before AMPS he was chirping again and acting a little agitated, going over to the litter box and back. I was starting to worry he was having UTI or GI issues, but then he threw up 2 big hairballs. Poor old man. At least he felt better after getting those out of his system. He's not a big fan of being brushed but it looks like I will need to step up efforts in that department.

AMPS 83

Had his breakfast and is now out in the catio sun. :D

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m getting awakened with gagging and possible hairballs by both cats! It seems brushing just loosens more hair. Today is day 7! I’ll be back tonight with important information. :D

alio likes this.
  3. alio

alio Member

Summer shedding season. Our other resident cat Roman has been throwing up hairballs this last week as well, luckily he only really sheds badly a couple of times a year. One of our foster cats starting trying to cough one up this morning as well, but so far that hasn't amounted to anything. :facepalm:

+3 69 :D

His ear was nice and warm from being in the sun, always makes it so much faster and easier when he has warmed it for me lol

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Since you started 0.10 on a night cycle you could start the OTJ Trial tonight if green. It is up to you. Here are the directions. Good luck.

Instructions for starting the OTJ trial
    Start the trial on the next green pre shot.
    If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day. If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!
    Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.
    After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!
    Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.
    Good luck with the trial!!!
    Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!

5. alio

alio Member

Thanks @tiffmaxee! We will start tonight if he clocks in green at PMPS! :D

Diane Tyler's Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  6. alio

alio Member

PMBG a cool 76 :D

Angela & Cleo and tiffmaxee like this.
  7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Congrats and good luck with the trial! The hardest part will be not testing! :p

alio likes this.