7/1 - Bandit - AMPS(346) +5(101) +8(68) PMPS (204) - Dosing Advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bandit's Mom, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Previous post - http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/carb-question-feeding-the-curve.231093/

So, Bandit continues to be her usual bouncy self on Levemir too. But it's early days and I hope she will flatten out in time. Though I suspect she is going to take her own time with that. :banghead:

I find that she is stuck in a loop of going low (at quite some speed) on a bounce-breaking cycle only to bounce for 3-4 cycles after that. I had reduced her dose from 1.25U to a fat 1 after she dipped below 50 (on 6/21). She doesn't usually hold reductions well, but I wanted to be cautious because she had started eating significantly less as compared to her last 2 weeks on Lantus when her numbers had gone inexplicably high.

Now I am wondering if I should take her back up to 1.25 or down to 1. Would more insulin help her clear bounces faster or would a lower dose reduce bouncing by increasing her nadirs. I am worried that reducing her dose would only get her into higher numbers all around.

Also, is there anything else I should be doing in terms of testing, feeding etc to help her flatten out?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry you got no answers until now. Yesterday was a stat holiday for me.

It's early days yet in your switch to Levemir, it can take up to three months for cats to really learn how to work with the new insulin. In the mean time, do you know what her onset and nadir are with Levemir? If not, you should be testing to find out. Try to find out if there are fast drops happening on onset - some cats do that on Lev. If so, feed to slow down the fast drops which can also cause bounces.

I would have decreased, not increased. You saw a 68 on the 1st, followed by no other testing to see if she went even lower. Even if you were following TR instead of SLGS, you would not have increased. Plus it wasn't that long ago you saw 51 a couple times! Definitely no room for an increase there.

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Thanks @Wendy&Neko . Some posts just get missed. There's only so much you guys can do and are doing so much already!

I do not know her onset and nadir for sure yet. I think her onset is around +3. But her nadirs keep moving around because of the bounce breaking cycles. I do need to test more. I too was seriously considering a reduction to 1 unit with that 51. But I wasn't sure if that would only prolong her bounces - really hate seeing those pink pre-shots!