? 7.10 Macho amps 400 + 400

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Garciacat, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

now what?
    we are back to the bouncing circle again! every-time we increase the dose he just go rollercoaster.

2. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Don’t worry he’s just bouncing from that 42 yesterday. Need to give him time to clear the bounce.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Bounces are caused by going lower than used to or big drops. It’s part of the dance unfortunately. This too shall pass. They occur less often if you can figure when to test and when to take a break. Yesterday you were given a clue with the 110 that he likely would continue down. If not around after that a test when home later in the cycle might have prevented the pmps being in the 40’s. That’s the way to prevent some of the bounces and keep them in healthy numbers longer.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

This is Clara. I take care of Macho yesterday and i am confused about why and how he dropped to that low level when i made sure he had food available all day and i saw him eating until 5pm. If he ate during those hours what is the reason for a test. which high carbs food do you suggest?.

5. tiffmaxee

Hi Clara. I’m glad you are responding. He might have food available but what percent carbs? Cats are funny. If the bg is dropping near low levels we don’t know unless we test. When they do eat the carbs take about 20-30 minutes to bring up the bg. To further complicate things the bg can drop 2 hours after eating. We rely upon the lusts t determine the carbs ina give food and some are outdated.

Low carb is under 10%. Medium carb is 10-15% or even a little higher depending on how carb sensitive a cat is. With a newly diagnosed cat, under 1 year, it’s trial and error. If the cat drops under 50 and comes back up after eating, when the carbs leave the body they can drop again. Once under 50 you need to make sure tge bg stats up without food influence for 2 hours.

Max was pretty carb sensitive but if he dropped under 50 he got fancy feast gravy lovers or another food that that 30% carbs if under 40.

Have you had a chance to look at the yellow stickies at the top of this forum? Lots of great information. Scroll down at the topics on each one. Feeding the curve and handling low numbers
    are really important to understand.

Please keep asking questions and we will help you. We don’t want you to experience an active hypo.

Garciacat likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

7. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

Please help me.
    i gave him 9 lives hearty cuts with real chicken & beef and in gravy and ff feast pate and applaws.
    Tell me what i need to do exactly if he doesn't improve he is going to be put down :(.
    we have been to 3 vets and they just keep asking for money and telling us to change his ff feast food / tiny tigers. My dad gave me the access to the computer with the condition that i will only be using this website. I will read the yellow stickies my dad calls me and text me what to do. my brother and i are testing him during the day while my dad is working. Macho test time is 7am, 9am, 12pm or 1pm, 9pm. should i buy dry food for those days?.

Thank you

Clara

8. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

how much insulin how i give him? he came with 338

Clara

9. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

our vet just got back to us.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Afternoon,

Hope all is well, there could be a couple of reasons for this, concurrent disease is the primary reason why some cats do not respond to “normal” doses of insulin. Infection and inflammation anywhere in the body leads to insulin resistance. Dental disease and undiagnosed urinary tract infections are common culprits. Diabetic diet is also recommended, not the whole issue but is also something to help support his condition. Blood work and an abdominal sonogram will also let us know if there is anything else like tumors or lesions that might be compromising his response. I put a link below on recommended diets for diabetic cats, you can order it online and we can approve it on our end. Let us know.

https://www.nomnomnow.com/cat-food-recipes - NOM NOM

https://heartofharlemveterinaryclin...vy-Can-for-Cats-(formerly-Diabetic)/p/3006521 - Glycobalance

--
    Best Regards,

10. tiffmaxee

Your vets are not giving you correct information. A cat needs as much insulin as they need. After dropping too low it can take up to 3 days for a bounce to clear. If it’s time for insulin give 3.25. I will continue after.

11. tiffmaxee

The high numbers you are seeing are a bounce. They will come down within 3 days. It’s true there are high condition reasons for cats needed more insulin but you aren’t yet at the point to come to that conclusion. If you will follow TR as it is written and test as needed we will see if he responds better. My hunch is he will. Can someone list every day for advice and test as directed?

It is not necessary at this time to run all those tests your vet mentioned. Take it one step at a time.

Macho is very new to diabetes and has received a reduction. That’s good news. Many cats take several months to regulate. You dint need vet food. It’s just expensive and higher in carbs than necessary.

12. tiffmaxee

Garciacat likes this.
  13. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

My dad created this account he said will leave the computer with this page open so we all can post.
    i do whatever is needed for Macho my mom told me yesterday that if in a year the cat dont resolve the diabetes it will never will and the best is to take him to sleep because we are just going to suffer.

i'm going to test him now is 9:30pm here in nyc.
    Thank you

Clara

14. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

15. tiffmaxee

I think you are fine for tonight but if you are awake get one more in 1-2 hours. . One way to decide whether to test after the shot is if the +2 is a lot lower than the bg at shot time. Then you should get another test for sure. Your two shots are pretty close.

16. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

Hi, good morning

this is clara. That's what my dad says, My mom agreed to help me out with the excel he came with 128 at 7:00 am and i just test him again 15 minutes later and came 105 should i give him high carbs food?. can you we text or can you call me?.

I thank you so much.

Clara

17. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Good morning Clara!

Have you given Macho his shot? You don't need high carb food as yet. Feed him his regular low carb food and test at +2.
    Feed him a little now and again at +1. Don't fill him up in case you need to feed him several small meals through the day to keep him above 50.

18. Bandit's Mom

9 Lives Hearty Cuts in Gravy - Beef & Chicken is 27% carbs which is HIGH carb. If you are feeding him this it may be the reason why his numbers are not coming down.
    Fancy Feast Pates are low carb and are okay to feed
    Which Applaws are you feeding him? The pates?

19. Garciacat

Garciacat Member

HI BANDIT,

so i gave macho the 9 lives hearty cuts in gravy the day he was going very low 7.9. I also bought applaws not pate for that day.
    yes i give him a shot i hope its ok. i think that is what i read.
    ok i will test him at 9am. thank you!

clara

20. Bandit's Mom