? 7/13 Fasting before Dental/dosing afterwards for Zeke

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by BonnieZeke, Jul 13, 2020.

1. BonnieZeke

BonnieZeke Member

Zeke's dental is Fri, he is suppose to be fasting from 10p Thur night, so no insulin, I pick him up around 4. We got regulated again quickly last week, on .75u , he had antibiotics that got rid of the infection. How soon will we see results of lower numbers, do I keep up .75 when he starts to eat again,(Fri night), or will he not need any after the dental, do you think?

2. Erin and Moe (GA)

Erin and Moe (GA) Well-Known Member

Moe has a dental with several teeth extracted on 4/13. My vet gave me a chart with glucose readings and how much insulin to give. Prior to the procedure his BG was always in the 300s; the evening of the dental he was under 100. His glucose went back to his usual levels within a couple of days. Note: Moe has acromegaly so we didn’t see the BG reductions that most people are after a dental.

BonnieZeke likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

When your vet's office said no food after 10pm, did you remind them he is diabetic? That should get you a later food cut off time. Newer protocols for anaesthesia for diabetics are a little more forgiving.

As for insulin, it really is ECID. If he has extractions, he may have inflammation which might mean his numbers actually go up for a while, until the inflammation goes down again. I found about 7-10 days for that. I would give insulin as you normally would, and let Zeke tell you needs less as per reductions in the protocol. However, Friday night you may have to play it by ear. If he doesn't want to eat due to extractions, you might give a lower dose that night. Some older anaesthesia induction drugs lower the BG, so it's a good idea to test when he gets home, then test again at PMPS to see if he's dropping.

4. BonnieZeke

BonnieZeke Member

Yes, they know, I'm glad you say that because I was thinking of setting his feeder for 1am, +6, he'll be getting insulin at 7p-8p Thurs. like normal, so he'll need to eat.
    He is having 3 extractions that we know of, I'll test through the night some. I'm off work. Thanks.