? 7/13 - GIDEON BLUE - AMPS - 302

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-which-side-of-ear-do-most-folks-test.232196/

Good Morning-

Last night Gideon's PMPS was 222. Pet sitter was not able to get a test at +3, so I instructed her to give some 15% carb food since, Gideon had gone in the BLUE and GREEN earlier in the day.

Question: Did I do the correct thing by having Gideon receive a bit high carb (15%) to ensure he will not have a hypo event, since no +3 test could be done, and he had dipped low during that day?

Pet sitter said his ears look sore, and she is putting Neopsorin with pain relief on them after each test. She also makes sure the cotton gauze is held on them for several seconds after the test.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

At +7 today, my Gideon was down to 48. Pet sitter gave him some 15% carb food and she is waiting to retest. He continues to bounce in a scary way.
    He is receiving Lantus 2 units BID. Should I have the vet tech lower him to 1.5 units tonight? I feel we are in a fictious cycle.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Yes, I would lower to 1.5.

4. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

OK. I have already texted the vet tech. If Gideon is at least 200, she will shoot 1.5 units. If he is less than 200, she will hold Lantus tonight. His dose tomorrow will remain at 1.5 units also.
    Thank you for your guidance and prompt reply. It is so hard being away and having Gideon drop like this.

5. tiffmaxee

You are doing great.

6. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

What is so strange is he is now 327. An hour ago before eating the 15% food, he was 48! How can there be such a dramatic change in 1 hour?
    Do bounces happen this close?

7. tiffmaxee

I think it might have been a bad strip or not enough blood or too much. Tell her next time it happens to wait a few minutes and test again. That being said it was 7 hours after protest so yes it’s possible.

8. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Yesterday, he went low mid-day too, but not this low. With the Alphatrak, it will not beep if not enough blood. Yes, it could have been a faulty strip. Not sure if too much blood gives an erroneous reading, but I guess it is possible. I really can't ask the cat sitter more than she is doing. I am really surprised she is able to test mid-day. I know she doesn't like doing it, because she feels she is hurting Gideon. I am hoping by our next vac, he will be more stable. He is just bouncing along at this point.

Thanks again for your help!

9. tiffmaxee

Just play it safe and reduce. Better a few days too high than a hypo. Things will get back on track when you get home.

Shiloh567 likes this.