? 7/14 Cosmo - dose question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by thebigfuzz, Jul 14, 2020.

1. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Hello!

Yesterday:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-13-cosmo-still-doing-good.232244/

Summary: Cosmo has megacolon and was obstructed for some time - back and forth to the vet, many enemas. He wasn't eating very well for a while so we decreased his dose at the time to 1.5 units. We changed his food out of requirement a few weeks ago to gastro.

He is now on lactulose, which (the kind I have) ups his BG, but he needs to have it. His appetite is back in full swing. We upped his insulin dose this am to 1.75 units. Cosmo is unobstructed now (yay!) and pooping... A lot.

Question is: How fast can/should a dose be increased in this situation? In a few days, we can decrease lactulose as long as all continues well? Should we just wait it out at 1.75 until the med changes?

He is more active, engaged and happy today!

2. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

I'm so happy Cosmo is feeling better!
    His high BG numbers are concerning, so I'm glad you increased his dose.
    Just my opinion - I would use Tight Regulation at this point and not increase any faster. So, 6 cycles of 1.75 before increasing, if necessary.
    I'm thinking of how a healthy gut can help diabetes control, and at least right now, it's acting healthy!
    If the lactulose is effecting his numbers a lot, you might not even end up needing to increase from 1.75U. I don't know - only Cosmo will tell!

thebigfuzz likes this.
  3. thebigfuzz

Well, he is certainly starting to feel a lot better! Even though BG is super high, he is alert and affectionate :) The BG number seems surprising given his behaviors.

We went with a skinny 2.0 to see how he does overnight. He does typically eat the majority of his food at night and has higher BG on nights, so seems fine.

I think we will stick to the skinny 2.0 for a few days and let him settle into it.

I am off tomorrow, so can watch how it goes.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

With no numbers below 300, I think you can confidently go to the full 2.0 units. And try to dose consistently, one week on SLGS - ideally getting some before bed tests in too. Most cats go lower at night, so it's good to take a peak at what is happening then.

5. thebigfuzz

Thanks Wendy! We feel ok with 2.0 as well.

Poor Cosmo now has the sniffles and sneezes :arghh: He's been through a lot... Doesn't surprise me that his immune system is a bit low. I'll give him a few steams in the washroom today to help break up his congestion .:cat: