? 7/15 - GIDEON BLUE - AMPS =121, then 181

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-14-gideon-blue-amps-287.232282/

I think my Gideon Blue is liking the decrease in Lantus from 2 units to 1.5 units. He is still bouncing a bit, but seems to be staying out of the RED more. This morning the vet tech called me to report a 121 BG. After the test and before Lantus he ate and was tested 15 mins later, and he was 181. Yes, he should have been retested without feeding, I know. Vet tech is off today, so she is coming back at +4 to test and just let me know how he is doing. Pet sitter will test again at +6, but I might have her wait to +7, depending on what his +4 reading is. Pet sitter is feeding him the same amount, and he is eating well. I do wonder how low he was during the night. He hit dark green yesterday, and just had pet sitter feed normal food, and he seemed to do fine. My instruction to her is to feed higher carb during day if he is 60 or below.

So, my question is: Do you think 2 units of Lantus BID was too much for Gideon, and his body is reacting a bit better to 1.5 units BID? Is there anything else I should be doing or not doing?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I think he’s spending more time in healing numbers and getting used to them. When that happens you see better numbers overall. Before he needed 2 units. Right now he doesn’t. It’s great you have them testing as he won’t have to readjust when you get home and hasn’t lost any ground.

Shiloh567 likes this.
  3. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

He is spending more time in a better range, but is still bouncing for sure. At +5 his BG = 485! This tells me that he probably went a bit in the green during the night. We will see what he is at +9.

4. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

KIND OF A FUNNY STORY - WELL NOT AT THE TIME:
    We did have a scare last night, but we figured out what was going on. Our pet sitter emailed us and said Gideon's glucose at +3 last night was 852! I didn't think the glucometer went that high, but I almost had a heart attack! I wrote her and asked her if she really meant 852. I got no response. I texted her and asked her the same question. No response. I called her cell and she did not answer. I then called our house phone and she answered and said she was looking up reasons for high glucose on the internet. Well, I asked her to hit the "M" once on the Alphatrak, then hit the "C 3 times. That would give her the most recent reading. She said it said 258. What I do believe happened is when she put the glucometer down, she turn it upside down, and the 258 looked like 852! She felt bad, but I told her it was no problem, and Gideon was fine.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

How alarming for you!! Tell her next time she sees a super high number not to get too excited...not much we can do when their BG is really high - many people see those black numbers and some read as high as in the 600's...it's on the other end that we need to get excited and find that Pet ER number right away! Hopefully that will never happen!

Hang in there! Gideon Blue is looking good!

Shiloh567 likes this.