? 7/16 Taco AMPS 172 I think we had a hypo today :( (long post)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Brandi & Taco, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Brandi & Taco

Brandi & Taco Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-5-taco-amps-347-243-dosing.231915/

I haven't posted in a while because Taco has been doing pretty great. I confidently upped his dose a week ago and he was steadily in the blues and greens. The other night I did a fur shot. I knew right away because I could smell the insulin immediately. The next two days after that his numbers were pretty high and it took a bit for his body to recover from that missed/super low dose.
    This morning he was back to normal with a blue AMPS number. A few hours after his shot he violently threw up all over the table. I immediately tested and he was at 70. I didn't think hypo at that time because of his number but then he threw up majorly AGAIN about 15 minutes later and started looking very unsteady and weak. I went ahead and gave him a little bit of HC wet food because from what I've read about hypo that seemed to be what was happening. Within 30 minutes his BS was up to 102 and he looked better, not perfect but I could see an improvement. He has just seemed kinda weak today but has not thrown up at all since this morning and his walking is pretty much back to normal.

Can a cat hypo at 70?? Does it sound like something else? I've noticed in the past that readings can be way off with back to back tests so I wonder if he was lower than the test read. Could the drastic change in BS from yesterday to today cause something like that?
    And holy cow, that was scary today. I'm still feeling the stress from it.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That does sound scary. Max never had a symptomatic hypo and got into the 30’s a few times. It doesn’t seem like a 70 would cause one but maybe he was actually lower and the meter malfunctioned. I looked up symptoms of a hypo and it sure sounds like one. I’m glad he’s feeling better. I hope you are too. :bighug:

Brandi & Taco likes this.
  3. Brandi & Taco

Brandi & Taco Member

Thank you. We're both doing better.
    I'm wondering if the high numbers for two days from the stupid fur shot and then dropping back down suddenly was the cause of it. It was so stressful.

4. Brandi & Taco

Brandi & Taco Member

I'm wondering if a dose increase at this point is needed? We are still seeing a lot of yellow and blue and not a whole ton of green. I've held the 5 u for quite some time.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Given the 77 and 76 you got on either side of the 70, it sounds reasonable that 70 would be correct. He did do a really big drop to +2 today. What is your feeding schedule with him? Sounds like you should be giving him a second small meal sometime around +1 to +1.5 so he has fresh carbs on board for the onset so he doesn't drop as hard. Fast drops can also cause bounces. If you get rid of those big drops, you might be able to get rid of those night time bounces too.

Other than hunger, Neko never showed signs of hypo either, and I caught her a couple times in the 20's. :eek:

Brandi & Taco likes this.
  6. Brandi & Taco

Brandi & Taco Member

I feed him right before his AM shot and then again around +2, maybe +3 depends on how vocal he's being. I will try to give him a small meal around +1.5. Thanks for that advice.
    Should I do an increase right now or wait a bit?