? 7/19 - GIDEON BLUE - AMPS = 117 Bounce is coming!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...lue-amps-436-home-again-do-i-increase.232429/

Well last night I increased Gideon back to Lantus 2 units BID. I probably should have waited to the AM. He probably dipped low during the night, because he was only 117 this morning. He did have food during the night. Yes, I should have stalled and not fed, to see which way he was headed, but I was on my way home from work, and my husband just fed him as normal after his test. We have been down this road before, and he will without a doubt bounce to BLACK, and so we remain on the hamster wheel. Will retest at +2, +4 and +6, just to make sure he does not go too hypo.

Questions: Is there anything I should be doing that I am not? I feel during the past 2 months Gideon is pretty much living in the same values as when we started. I am concerned about his organs, especially his kidneys. Should I have blood work drawn to check on things? His last blood work was April 2020. Everything looked good then, except for his glucose.

Thank you for your guidance.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Let him adjust again to being back on the dose. I wouldn’t rush to get more blood tests as you are doing all you can and it won’t change your approach. I’d wait until 6 months. How’s he acting? He’s eating which is good. Sometimes we forget health us more than numbers. Is he playing? Purring? Engaging with you?

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You don't need to stall if you are comfy shooting lower numbers (over 100 is not THAT low), have plenty of test strips and can monitor. We have a saying here "shoot low to stay low". Getting used to lower numbers is how you slow the bouncing. When you do shoot your lowest number yet to date, it's good to get a +1 and a +2, to see where he's going and if you need to intervene early.

4. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Yes, I feel comfortable shooting as long as Gideon is above 100 and I am home. He did go into the RED today, but that was to be expected with an AMPS of 117. He must have dipped during the night.

Gideon is acting like a very sweet and loving cat. He was talking to his "mouse babies" today, and constantly wanted to be kissed and patted. He is active as well as he can be. He is a tripod, so he doesn't race up and down stairs, but goes up and down at his own pace. He is eating well, and while I was away, all my kitties maintained their weight.

Have a good night.

tiffmaxee and Wendy&Neko like this.