7/20 - GIDEON BLUE - AMPS 337 - Happy in the PINK!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-19-gideon-blue-amps-117-bounce-is-coming.232450/

After yesterday's AMPS = 117, I thought my Gideon would be in the black, but this morning he is in the PINK. He also had a couple good readings during the day yesterday.

Hoping he can settle in to the 2 units.

There are so many kitty owners that post here. I see many times people get frustrated and overwhelmed. They are desperate for advice. Thank you to all the admins and other folks that help out with questions.

tiffmaxee and Erin and Moe (GA) like this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Good Morning! It is a great group and a wonderful resource for all of us with FD kitties. It's troubling to see so many kitties getting this disease. I feel it's due to the popular pet food industry that sells cheap food - not the better food sold in most pet stores - but generally we are all mislead and uninformed by marketing...I was. I didn't know any better and bought dry food at the grocery store for my kitties...they were happy and so was I...and I thought that as long as they enjoyed the food and it was available to them that all was good. Boy was I wrong!

I've learned a lot since joining this group! Hope you will too...just remember this is a marathon and it takes a while to learn the in's and out's of FD...you and Gideon Blue will get there :)

3. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

I agree with your food comment Sue, but Gideon has always received high end wet food, and never dry at all. We haven't had to change his diet at all, except we are adding Fancy Feast and Friskies. I do consider Fancy Feast and Friskies "cheap" food, but surely better than dry food. I did buy a bag of Dr. Elsey's Chicken Dry, but am just giving it out carefully as treats. So Gideon was diagnosed with cancer in April, and had his left front leg removed. Right after his amputation, he was diagnosed with diabetes. No matter what he ate or didn't eat, he may have gotten these illnesses. I have had a hyperthyroid kitty with cardiac issues, and anemia. She always rec'd the best wet food only. I also currently have a kitty with small cell lymphoma, but he is stable at the moment. If we only had the answer of what causes and prevents the issues!

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that...unfortunately with his other health issues poor thing got FD added to his list of issues.. It sounds like at least you were making more responsible food choices than I did. I just didn't know any better! But I also have learned that even some of the better quality wet foods are loaded with unhealthy things. Too many carbs and stuff that just isn't good for kitties. At least I feel that I'm better informed now and don't buy into the sales pitch when they say things like 'full of healthy ingredients like spinach, brown rice sweet potatoes'..stuff like that may be good for us, but not so good for our kitties...

I hope Gideon Blue's numbers continue to progress! :)

Shiloh567 likes this.
  5. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

At +6 Gideon BG =65. I just fed him some 8% carb food. I am thinking this is his nadir. I will retest in a hour, just to be sure.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Under 68 calls for a reducing an AT. He goes back to 1.75.

7. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

I am concerned that if I reduce him, he will bounce again. So, if he was 69, I wouldn't do a dose reduction? It seems very close to call.
    Can I hold off by one day and just see what his numbers are like, since I do test him quite a bit?

8. tiffmaxee

It’s up to you. He will likely bounce from the 68.get a test in 30 minutes from your last one.

9. tiffmaxee

That was a huge jump up. I think the bounce has begun.

10. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

So since he is bouncing, as expected, if I hold steady with the 2 units for the next 2 doses (7p & 7a), is there still a chance he will settle in to the 2.units? I just feel like I have changed his dose a lot. I know I couldn't help it while I was away. I did not want a severe hypo event.

11. tiffmaxee

I wish I had a crystal ball. He barely dipped under. If he’s high tonight you can shoot 2.0 without worries I would think as shooting at the start of a bounce is often done., shooting through the bounce. He came really fast so you might be fine continuing wit 2 units in the morning. If you had to work hard to keep him up I would definitely say you need to reduce in the morning but that didn’t happen and he was barely under so you could attribute it to meter variance. It’s up to you.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Shiloh567 likes this.
  12. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Thank you so much Elise. Gideon seems to be very carb sensitive and comes up quickly. I am sure he will be fine to shoot the 2 units tonight, and as long as he is above 100 for his AMPS, I will give the 2 units again. I so appreciate the help I am getting in this group!

13. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

PMPS = 253. I will test again at +3, and make sure he eats well after the test. He is currently eating Blue Wilderness Chicken, which I believe is 3% carbs. Many of these foods are higher in phosphorus than what I would like, but the kitties have to eat.

Goodnight!

14. tiffmaxee

If he’s dropping a lot grab a later test as well. Looks like he may not bounce high.

15. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Yes, if at +3 he is less than 200, I will set my alarm and test at +5 or +6. I haven't been to bed since noon on Saturday, but I will do it for my boy.

16. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Yup, he bounced....+3 = 454. I am going to bed. Goodnight.