7/22 Butters AMPS 268 / +2 337 / +5 362 / PMPS 308 / +4 247

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Butters & Lyla, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Hello! I'm going to start doing daily posts of Butters' numbers as of today. We have seen a lot of steep drops lately resulting in earned reductions on TR, followed by days of higher numbers.

She has been unhappy lately, too. Refusing to play and mostly just laying around, which may also be because of the super hot weather we've had.That said, she still loves to eat and continues to notify me immediately when she thinks she has missed a meal, so there's that. :)

Have a good one (day, evening), all!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Good Morning Lyla! Looks like Butters has a nice bouncie trend going...green then higher numbers for a few days, then green again...then those higher numbers. Luci used to take me down that road all the time. I tried everything, steering with food, etc. never really got a handle on those bounces until I switched to Levimer. Just something to think about down the road.

I saw your comment about curves with the AT2 'for the vet'??? I've long ago given up discussing anything about Luci's diabetes with vets - yes, that's plural. Since we migrate to Florida in the winter we have a vet there and one here..and in my case I've gone thru a few because we don't agree on her care/treatemt...the first one wanted me to euthanize her -enough said about that one...anywhooo...just sharing that I've learned more from this group of educated and experienced people than all of the vets I've seen put together know about FD.

Happy that you're posting daily...hopefully you'll get some good advice and suggestions on how to better manage those bounces.

Have a great day!

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  3. Butters & Lyla

Thanks Sue! Some food for thought, there. The bounces are tough to handle. I had been wondering if Lantus was maybe just not right for Butters, but I'm going to stick it out for a while longer and see if this bouncie thing will stop at some point.

I'm so sad to hear that your first vet wanted you to euthanize Luci. I have gone through three vets in two months (and no migration here!) and quite frankly, I'm not ready to try a fourth one, yet. My AT2 has gone into storage. :)

Have a lovely day!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

So pleased to see you are going to post over on this forum Lyla.
    I'll answer your questions for the other post over here and here is your other post for continuity. We link the previous day's thread to the current day's thread so it is easy for helpers to look back if we need to.
    Previous thread from health:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...bouncing-or-somogyi-or-something-else.232542/

There is no need to start another SS for Alphatrak, I meant just keep a list for your vet, or just tell him you can only use the human meter now.
    With the SS do you mean the yellow line that has #ref on it? If that is the line you mean could you write on that line...'commenced Lantus' please.

It took me a lot longer than 2 months to get my head around everything so don't worry...you are doing great!

It is definitely bouncing you are seeing....and we don't reduce the dose with bounces. You hold the dose and wait for the bounce to stop which can take from 1 to 6 cycles depending on the cat. The only time you reduce the dose is when Butters drops under 50.

Remember if you are not sure about anything or you need something explained further just ask and we are very happy to help you
    Butters is beautiful!

Butters & Lyla and Sue and Luci like this.
  5. Butters & Lyla

Thanks so much, Bron! Butters also thanks you for the compliment. She is a diva and completely agrees with you.

Every time Butters drops, she has gone below 50 (except for one time...I worked so hard to keep her above 50...shouldn't have reduced then). That's why I kept reducing.

I had a blank line between June 11th and June 12th that used to say "Started Lantus"...I wrote it back in there.

I feel so much better knowing that it is bouncing that I'm seeing, and it's not that she's getting too much insulin.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

If Butters drops below 50 you must reduce the next dose by 0.25 units. I can see you I haven't always done that up until now.
    Remember if you are unsure always ask.
    And if Butters drops too fast, or under 50 you will most likely see a bounce which could last for up to 6 cycles.

7. Butters & Lyla

Ok. No fattening or skinnying doses, and always always always reduce by .25 U if she drops below 50. Got it!
    I will ask from now on if I"m not sure, which is often. :)

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  8. Butters & Lyla

PMPS 308. I will do a before bed test for Butters, but assuming that it isn't low, I would increase her dose by .25 U to .75 U with the next cycle, right? Because I have held at .5 U for six cycles and the lowest nadir reading has been 200. Or is there a reason why I should hold her dose at .5 for another couple of cycles?

Thank you!

9. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I would agree Butters is ready for that increase. You're testing plenty and she's not had any good numbers in this session (6 cycles on TR) at all...time to bump it up and let's hope this is the dose that does the trick! Best of luck!!

10. Butters & Lyla

Thanks Sue. Looks like Luci had a good day, today. I hope she does equally well or better tonight!