7/22 Taishi AMPS 344, +6 252, PMPS 324, +2 340 (Day 2 on Insulin)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Taishi_Ci, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Taishi_Ci

Taishi_Ci Member

I overslept this morning and my husband managed to handle the BG test, feeding, AND insulin shot all by himself. I am hoping he loaded the syringe with the correct amount. At 1U it is so tiny/hard to see. Also, he did tell me he overfilled it then injected the excess back into the Lantus pen. I know this is a "no no" but I'm hoping that just this one incident won't contaminate/ruin the insulin.

I had nightmares last night about all this. I dreamt we went to inject him and the insulin had turned yellow and chunky. Then, I dreamt he had a severe hypo episode and the people with me refused to help as I was trying to grab supplies. I was trying to rub syrup on his gums but I couldn't get his mouth open. It was so scary.

Seeing the 252 number made me so excited but I'm scared at the same time. It's such a big dip down from the other numbers we've seen. Is this big of a drop expected/okay?? I'm very glad we didn't start him on the 2U the vet recommended it.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That’s not too big a drop at all as it occurred over 6 hours. Welcome to LLB.

3. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hugs :bighug::bighug::bighug: It's all a lot but you all seem to be handling it well. It gets easier with time :bighug::bighug::bighug:

On TR, you need to make sure you get your pre-shot tests (AMPS & PMPS) plus at least one other test per cycle. I only mention this because I didn't notice any tests after PMPS last night. A +2 or +3 can be clue into the cycle to come (with time, you'll learn your cat and how your cat reacts to lantus) - generally speaking:
    • If the +2 is about the same as the Pre-shot (PS), usually they're going to have a fairly "normal" cycle...slowly dropping to nadir and then slowly heading back up until the next PS
    • If it's higher than the PS, that can indicate the beginning of a bounce and those are the cycles where you can usually get by without testing as much
    • If the +2 is lower than the PS, that's your "early warning"....those are the cycles where it's important to try to get more tests in...but if you can't, you might want to leave some higher carb food down for kitty
    Have you managed to procure so Medium Carb (MC) food (10-15% carbs) and High Carb food (HC) (>15% carbs)? Syrup and/or honey works too but I liked having the food. A lot of us use the food list (link) even if it's a little dated - I found it to be a good starting point (and gravy pretty much always = carbs :p).

Hang in there :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Taishi_Ci likes this.
  4. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Taishi_Ci likes this.
  5. Taishi_Ci

Taishi_Ci Member

Thank you for your kind words and support! I didn't realize we needed to be testing during the night, but it seems obvious now that you mention it. He gets his 2nd shot pretty late (10 pm) and on most nights we're going to bed around midnight. We chose the 10 am/10 pm because it was what we felt would work best for our lives without him having his shots delayed/missed (since I know consistency is very important). I will try to get a +2 test after his 2nd shot before I go to bed tonight.

We *don't* have a medium and high carb food on hand. I really should have checked the list and picked up a couple cans of those even before we started giving him insulin. We *do* have honey, syrup, and Temptations (I'm sure those babies are high carb haha). I will pick up the foods tomorrow so we have that ready just in case!

And thank you for the tip about linking my previous post. I think it's been at least 10 years since I was on a message board like this. Big nostalgia trip and a lot to relearn on top of everything else ;-)

6. tiffmaxee

To add to what Susanne said because lantus is dosed based upon how low it takes your cat some mid cycle tests will be necessary. Since you shoot so late it will be crucial to set an alarm some nights for a test between +5-7. Good nights for that will be if Taishi gives you a lower than usual +2. I used karo only if I had to add it to mc or hc as food sticks with them longer. I’m glad you will get food tomorrow because at some point they will be needed for sure.

Taishi_Ci likes this.
  7. Taishi_Ci

Taishi_Ci Member

I think I effed it all up. I think I did what you call a "fur shot". I wanted to cry. I guess maybe it's not a huge deal, because this was only going to be his 4th shot ever. What do I do? Should I still stay up and check his BG in a couple hours? Do I stick with the same dose in the AM?

I am having so much trouble loading the syringe. I just am really struggling to see the tiny lines and telling how full it is. Finally had the sense to move to the bathroom, which has better lighting than our kitchen. I'm sure it will get easier over time, but right now I feel like such a failure as a cat mom.

8. tiffmaxee

Fur shots happen to us all. One thing to remember is never give a second shot as some of it might have gotten in. Keep the same dose. I would get a test in two hours. :bighug:

9. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Jessie and Taishi :):cat: . We have all had many moments of thinking we were failures. It’s a journey with people all around that have been where you are and are here to help. We all do the best we can and learn along the way. I understand the struggle with the little lines, I bought myself lighted magnifying glasses on Amazon. We have all given fur shots, look at others SS and you will see them. Taishi is a handsome little guy.:cat: There is a wealth of information and help here. Reach out. Again, welcome to the group and good luck to you two :bighug:

I corrected my spelling for Taishi :banghead: sorry, it was a hard one for me but I’ve got it now.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Taishi_Ci likes this.
  10. Taishi_Ci

Taishi_Ci Member

Thank you for the welcome and supportive words! I was really beating myself up last night. The tip about the magnifying glasses is very helpful. I will probably need them, especially if we end up doing .25 increments at some point (although I don't know if I even have the dexterity to pull up such a little amount!

I did stay up late last night to get a +2 reading after his "shot" and, as predicted, his blood sugar had gone up a bit. It was high this morning (over 400) and I assume that's normal after missing a dose and not being near regulation yet. My husband was successful with the shot this morning, so we'll see how today goes!

Our Dolly Girl (GA) likes this.
  11. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Hi Jessie, it sounds like you have everything under control. My husband gives the shots as well. When Dolly came out of remission, I believe it was her first shot, I managed to give her a fur shot and since then (last August) I do the testing, husband does the shots. When you get to .25 increments, you will quickly adjust. Hope you have a wonderful day and Taishi, surf safely. :bighug: Always feel free to reach out to me and all the other members, we are here to help and support. I promise you we have all had our share of mistakes and furshots :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Taishi_Ci likes this.
  12. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Hi Jessie, I sent you a private message, it will be in your inbox, top right next to alerts. Please read. :bookworm: :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Taishi_Ci likes this.