? 7/23- Belle AMPS: 162, +2: 119, +4: 52, +5: 92, +7: 92, PMPS: 97, +2: 158

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AmandaL&Belles, Jul 23, 2021.

1. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

AMPS 162, lowering dose to 3 units this morning, I am home and able to test today

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Congrats on the reduction! :)

If you can get at least one test per cycle in addition to preshots, you can continue to follow TR. The disadvantage with SLGS is that every drop below 90 is a reduction. At some point the back to back reductions fail.

AmandaL&Belles likes this.
  3. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

Thanks for the response. Are we following the Roomp and Rand Protocol for reduction ? I have been given so many reading materials that I’m not sure what I’m supposed to follow lol

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. Bandit's Mom

5. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Love the blues and greens, Amanda. Good luck with the reduction.

6. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Bandit's Mom

This late in the cycle, you can try MC. Sorry for the delay in responding!

8. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

Wasn’t sure and she was acting sassy again, so I only gave her low carb and a small squeezable treat. Will recheck in one hour

9. Bandit's Mom

Was there a food change made for Belle recently? Switch from higher carb dry food to low carb wet?

10. Bandit's Mom

With a number in the 50s, you want to test in half an hour after food to see if she's up. Was the treat HC?

11. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

So we recently weaned her off royal canin s/o kibble but it has been 6 days since she has had any of that.

the treat was just a squeezable (nothing fancy) and I believe I found the carb % to only be 1.6 or so on that one. We are going to recheck now

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  12. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

About 35 minutes after food she is 92

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  13. Bandit's Mom

It's no wonder she is going down in dosing the way she is! We have seen cats go off insulin after switching from HC prescription to LC wet food!

The 52 today earned her another reduction to 2.75U from tonight. :)

14. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

yaaaay I’m excited but scared lol it’s crunch time, I know we have to be very diligent right now

15. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

16. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda I would not shoot and then go out tonight if it was me. She earned her reduction today, but tonight even though you reduce, the depot is still at play and she could drop again. I've seen it happen many times (and when it happened with Pearl I wanted to be there for sure). Even if you don't shoot, I think she could still drop with the depot at play. I would opt to stay in if it was me.

Let's see what others might say.

@tiffmaxee
    do you have thoughts on this?

17. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

Sorry. Been a long few weeks of being here constantly checking. Staying up late on work nights etc, I’m honestly exhausted. I know it will be worth it but I have to work nights for the next three nights after this and just wanted a few hours to do something :(

18. Margaret (and Pearl)

Oh do I ever understand! When Pearl was trekking down that ladder lickity split like Belle, it got very exhausting. A question you may want to ask others is when is a good time for you to NOT shoot if you need a break. There were times I had to choose to not shoot Pearl when I had to sleep and when I had to know she would be safe enough for me to sleep. You gotta take care of you!

I'm hoping someone else can chime in on whether she should be ok with the BG if you don't shoot her and possibly leave out some higher carb food. I have never done this before, so I'm not the one to comment on this part.

19. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

I truthfully appreciate you responding so quickly. I have been so so diligent with this that the people around me think I’m insane. Going home on a 30 min lunch (when it takes me ten minutes to get home and then back to work). My boyfriend is wondering when enough is enough…. It’s just difficult. Since we have completely cut out kibble she’s been going down very quickly

20. Margaret (and Pearl)

I think cutting out that kibble was the "quick start" she needed to start really scaling down the ladder. For some cats, the food change really makes this much difference!

I wish I knew what to say about what to expect from her as far as speed, but when they are moving like this it definitely can be stressful and tiring. I have Lyme disease, and when Pearl first started coming down the ladder, I was up all kinds of crazy hours trying to keep her steady and figure out her patterns, and it almost broke me. So I had to get advice on how to help myself.

I think it would be worthwhile to make a post sometime to get ideas about how others stay not-exhausted. Pearl and me aren't a good picture of that anymore b/c she earns reductions differently than most. But, I did have to learn what my boundaries are about when I could not/would not shoot, and the more I understood when she was likely to drop, the more I could anticipate with giving the MC food early if I couldn't monitor as closely as I wanted to.

I wish I had better advice for you, but you and Belle ARE doing a GREAT JOB.

I think if you're needing to go out tonight, then you do not shoot and put down the HC food.

21. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Skip the shot...call it a furshot and have a good time without worrying about your kitty!

It will let the depot drain a little so you don't have so much momentum.

As long as there's no DKA in the history, it's fine to get out once in awhile for some quality time for yourself.

22. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

Too late :oops: I shot and just willing to stay home tonight. I will remember this advice for next time. If she were still running high like she was a couple weeks ago I wouldn't have worried so much but we have been dipping pretty low at points.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  23. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

Oh I get you 100%. I had a surgery two months ago to remove a potential cancerous sarcoma and took her to the vet and got diagnosed four days later. It has indeed been a challenging couple of months.

24. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Sorry, Amanda, I just got home from work and saw your tag. I would have suggested skipping as well as @Chris & China (GA) did. I have skipped very few shots with Ruby, but always glad when I did because she stayed steady because of the insulin depot and I got to have some time off to enjoy friends and some fun.

You should take a look at the spreadsheet of @Librarianista. Chloe switched to low carb food, ran down the dosing ladder and is doing really well right now. Hope that will be in the cards for you and Belle as well. :bighug:

25. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

Hey there! Popping in so you can check out my SS. We had to take her up pretty high (for her) once we switched to Lantus, but after we broke the glucose toxicity, we cut her dose in half as a token shot one night because I needed sleep and haven’t looked back!

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  26. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

27. AmandaL&Belles

AmandaL&Belles Member

Thanks for the reference. I have a strange question, we just adopted two kittens three days ago. We are slowly introducing them to the Old Girls (Belle is one of em), do you think the stress of that would have any bearing on BG levels? Belles is actually running a smidge higher tonight than the last few nights! lol still a decent number but just a bit higher

28. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

Yes, probably! Change in general stresses cats out and stress causes BG to rise.