7/24 Catman AMPS 301, 2.5u 8am ET, +6 106 2pm, +7 86 3pm, +7.5 84, +8 99 Contour/103 Relion Prem

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceR, Jul 24, 2020.

1. AliceR

AliceR Member

We have high carbohydrate food at the ready. We will test again at +8 at 4pm unless we should test sooner. He threw up at 1:00 which was his +5.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Are you following TR or SLGS?

3. AliceR

AliceR Member

Called the vet they suggested feeding some high carbohydrate food and testing at 4:00 but I don't know if they're being overly cautious?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  4. tiffmaxee

This late in the cycle high carb isn’t usually given. Are you following TR or SLGS? With TR you don’t reduce until 50. With SLGS you reduce under 90. Normal bg is over 50 s yes they are being cautious.

5. AliceR

AliceR Member

Thanks we are following a TRGS.... So hopefully if he drops another 20 points in the next hour from 86 to 66 that will still be okay and hopefully his nadir which we have never been able to nail down. But if he goes below 50 what do we do? I guess I'm worried about at what level hypoglycemia might show up since our first cat went into hypoglycemic shock during the night when we had house guests 22 years ago and we've never gotten over it.

6. tiffmaxee

Max dropped into the 30’s but never had an active hypo. If he drops under 50 you would feed high carb, just a couple of teaspoons and retest in 20-30 minutes.

He is at a good level now. I would feed some low carb and retest in 30 minutes. What do you think? I’ll check with you then if you like.

AliceR likes this.
  7. AliceR

AliceR Member

We have been feeding him Fancy feast classic pate savory salmon feast, ocean white fish tuna feast and cod, sole and shrimp feast. They all came in one box. Are those all too low in carbohydrates?

8. tiffmaxee

I totally understand your fear. The first time I saw a 60 at my vet’s office I freaked. He didn’t, lol. If you follow TR you need to be able to test until your cat stays at a safe level without food for 2 hours. Otherwise you keep testing and feeding small amounts to keep them hungry. Whenever possible you need a +2-3 test both cycles as that will give you an indication of whether you will have an active cycle requiring closer monitoring.
    Fancy feast pates are mostly low carb which is what you want. Do you have gravy lover’s or other high carb food in case needed? Do you have karo syrup or honey in case needed?

9. AliceR

AliceR Member

You read my mind I tested him at +7.5 and he only went down two points. Had to send DH to Walmart to get more test strips! Thought we would be okay until tomorrow but I guess not. We'll test again at 4:00 p.m. eastern time which will be +8. As you can tell from our spreadsheet we rarely are in the green this early in the game.

10. AliceR

AliceR Member

We have our hypo tool kit all set thanks to this fabulous message board.

Attached Files:

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  11. tiffmaxee

Looks like he’s been bouncing when he hits blue so I bet you see a bounce from the greens. If you go to hc too soon it might cause an earlier bigger bounce. It’s good to have at least an extra box or two of strips around at all times.

12. AliceR

AliceR Member

So we can do the +3 easily because we're feeding him every 3 hours but honestly if I saw him dropping at +3, I would just be anxious for longer! Just kidding.

So far the only strange behavior from this cat was that deep howling meow right before throwing up at +5. I will update the subject to this thread in 20 minutes.

Thank you everyone out there!!! This is so wonderful!! (Not the diabetes and the anxiety but the support obviously.)

tiffmaxee likes this.
  13. tiffmaxee

BTW meter variance is around 20% so a 2 point drop or rise is flat. Do you have a backup meter? I recommend getting one in case you get a weird result you can verify with the backup.

14. AliceR

AliceR Member

DH just got back from Walmart with a new one!

tiffmaxee likes this.
  15. AliceR

AliceR Member

Okay we're better. I don't want another bounce though! Thanks again for being there.

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  16. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

nice to see catman is having a bit of a surf!

i see you write the carb count on the cans.
    we do that too.
    lately we started it doing it on both the lid and the bottom bc the lid gets torn off and we've have multiple carb cans open recently. and yeah.

AliceR likes this.
  17. AliceR

AliceR Member

Where would I post about freezing FF in Walmart's color-coded ziploc sandwich bags?
    It's a great tool! pink yellow blue and green on sale now in CT. I put different carb food in different colored bags that align with the spreadsheet colors. (DH is color blind though.)

18. tiffmaxee

Main health I think.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020