7/26 Tibby AMPS 273 - General SLGS questions

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amy&Tibby, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

Hello, everyone. I have some basic comprehension issues to run by you all. Tibby has been diabetic since February, but I've just recently switched him to Lantus, like days ago. I'm going to try using the SLGS method, but I'm not sure I completely understand it. Until now I've been emailing the curve numbers to my vet for dosing advice, but it would be quicker to take that on myself.

So I'm at 2 units of Lantus twice a day. My understanding is that I do that for at least a week, and then do a curve. If his nadir is below 90, I can lower the dose. Otherwise, I might continue the same dose or raise it depending on the numbers. Here are my questions:
    1. The dose changes all seem to be in .25 increments. How can y'all see that small a change on those tiny little u100 syringes?
    2. I read that if his BG is below 90, lower the dose by .25 immediately. Is that for another week, or just for that dose?
    3. These BG numbers are for a human meter, but I'm using a pet meter. Is there a big difference?
    4. Is there a certain time that will be his nadir, or does that vary a lot by cat?
    Thank you all in advance for any advice. On my SS i have marked when I switched to Lantus. Already his numbers seem to be getting more regular and a little lower. His numbers were all over the place on Prozinc.

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the L/B+L board! Glad you seem to already be getting good results from Lantus, fingers crossed that continues!

1. Do you have syringes with half-unit markings? Most of us just eyeball halfway between markings for the 0.25U. The other option is digital calipers, which really helps to keep consistency between doses.

2. If you go under 90, the reduced dose is the new dose going forward for another week until the next curve (unless you go under 90 again, then there's another reduction).

3. There can be, especially for high numbers (less so in the lower ranges). We don't really have a way of converting the numbers, the only direct correspondence is the "take action" (give high carb food/honey) numbers: 50 on a human meter, 68 on a pet meter.

4. It varies by cat (and even by day for the same cat), but they tend to occur between +5 and +7 most of the time (with a lot of exceptions).

tiffmaxee likes this.
  3. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

1. I do have the half marks, but wow those are small. The vet usually increases by .5 units, but my eyeing it for .25 will be more moderate even if I'm not perfect, I guess.

2. ok, cool. I'm not close to that yet, but I'm heading in that direction, I hope. My vet once said if he's under 150, maybe don't shoot at all. He is very cautious about hypoglycemia.

3. Sounds good.

4. Thank you. I've been trying to do readings inbetween, but I'm hoping the next curve will actually show a curve. On Prozinc he just seemed to have random numbers all day.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  4. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

I use a magnifying glass when I do .25 doses.

You'll get the hang of it, don't worry. I'm excited that the Lantus is helping already!