7/27 Oberon AMPS 312 +4 362 PMPS 132 +1 123 +2 120 +9 164 First day on Lantus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa & Oberon, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

First day on Lantus. BG was 312 at 6 am before breakfast. Then off to the vet for a BGC. Oberon got 1 U at the vet at about 10 this morning. BG was 400 PS and 362 at about +4 on the vet's meter. Getting ready for his evening dose but at +11 from this morning's dose he's at 132 on the home meter. Shoot, or skip? He's been grazing all afternoon (canned FF) since he got home. My inclination is to skip because I don't want him going hypoglycemic overnight, but I'm new at this.

2. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

I'm not an expert, but I think you need to lower his dose. I hope someone else stops by with advice.

If he was my cat, I'd skip tonight. Then I'd try a dose of .25. Do you have syringes with half unit marks?

3. Lisa & Oberon

Unfortunately not. I've got 30 U syringes marked off every 1 U. I think I could try estimating 0.5 U on these, but 0.25 would be hard to do accurately/consistently.

4. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

Can you afford to buy some syringes? Your vet may have them, mine does.

When I started out they would sell me a bag of 10. If you bought a few you could see if you like them.

You could try .5 tomorrow morning and see how that goes. If you skip his dose tonight, could you test him at +1 or +2 to see if his glucose is still going down?

Lisa & Oberon likes this.
  5. Lisa & Oberon

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll test at least one more time tonight to make sure it's not still going down. Then I'll call the vet tomorrow to see what I should do. Sounds like lowering the dose might not be a bad idea. Finances aren't a huge issue so I can get better syringes if necessary.

6. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

skip tonight.

132 is too low for a beginner to shoot.

7. Lisa & Oberon

123 two hours later at PM +1 (skipped shot). So it's maybe still going down a bit. Should I stay up and test again later? Or is it safe for me to go to bed?

8. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

If it was me, I'd test at least one more time. He'll probably start going up soon, then you won't have to worry about him.

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. Since you think you can estimate 0.5 units, I'd try that in the morning. Provided he's high enough to shoot.

Depending where you live, you might be able to get half unit marked syringes at the local pharmacy. Walmart in the US, their Relion brand, are one such. The Sticky Note on Insulin Care and Syringe Info lists some brand with half unit markings.

10. Lisa & Oberon

120 at midnight last night (+2, but no shot given), and 164 at 7 am this morning (+9). I'm going to call the vet before I give him anything this morning.