7/27 Toeby: AMBG is 79 , +3 = 92 . PMBG is 99

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laurasboyz, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Did he eat well at breakfast?

Laurasboyz likes this.
  3. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

He ate some - he had 2 choices this morning: Stella and Chewy's chicken (his brother's favourite) and Tiki Cat chicken and egg. He licked the probiotics off the top of the Stella and Chewy's and picked at the Tiki Cat, lapping up all the liquid.
    Last night he was offered Wellness and Ultra brands.
    We're going to head to the stores today and try some different brands in a pate style.
    I have always avoided "supermarket brands" because I thought they were poor quality.
    I used to buy only Wellness because supposedly it had human grade ingredients, but I'm far past caring now.
    I'd just like to see him eat a little more.
    Who knows, maybe it's the hot weather, I dunno?

So far in Fancy Feast we've had the chicken and beef... these cats don't like fish flavours.
    They also refused to eat raw patties, which I thought was absolutely nuts.
    The only food I've ever seen him "dive" into with eagerness is dried kibble, and then invariably he barfs it up because he's eaten too fast.
    Laura

4. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

It was suggested I get a +3 hours on a day when he had no insulin... today he is 92 at +3

It's a little higher than 3 hours ago, but not too much.
    He hasn't eaten alot.
    I guess at this point, I am looking for reassurance that I am doing the right things?
    I am a little worried about his not eating but he seems content enough, purring when I touch him, sleeping in the sun in his open window.
    He's also still grooming himself, and just had a normal BM.
    Mid-day he was playing with a catnip toy, which is a great sign.
    He doesn't appear distressed.
    So, I am hoping my NOT giving him insulin is not making him lose weight.
    Intuitively I know that makes no sense, but I am so unsure.

I'd like to contact his vet this week with his chart, but I'd like to be confident before I contact them.
    I did buy a Freestyle Libre for the vet to put on him before I realized he'd be okay with ear testing.
    I'm not sure I see the point of putting one on him now?
    Laura

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Reason for edit: Update litter box action and behavior
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I wouldn’t put the Libre on now. You are getting enough data be testing. As for the +3 test, I should have been clearer, only get the +3 if the normal preshot test is blue. Otherwise, if green, let him be.

The not eating much is a bit of a worry, might be worth that vet call. Have you ever tried freeze dried raw? Or air dried by Ziwipeak? Low carb with crunch. With freeze dried, you gradually feed with more and more water.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  6. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Update for the evening - just tested and his blood was 99, so I will not be giving him insulin tonight.
    Today he played and acted silly, quacked at me a little, as well as gave himself a thorough wash, so I know he was feeling good.

He ate FF Beef, Weruva Lamburgini (grain, starch and carageenan free, 7.6% carbs in the metabolizable energy profile on their website) and Stella and Chewy's Chick Chick Chicken dinner morsels.
    The Stella and Chewy's does have pumpkin seed in it so it is probably not as low carb just plain freeze dried. Toeby eats a wee bit of that, but his brother likes it more.
    I don't know if I've seen freeze dried raw in a kibble form other than the Pure Bites he gets for treats.
    I know I have seen Ziwipeak canned here - I will check on the air dried.
    So far, the Stella and Chewy, and the Primal Nuggets from Primal Pet Foods (both made in the USA) are the freeze dried meals I've seen.

I will keep an eye on him as far as eating... I think so far it is fussiness more so than lack of appetite - I know he can be stubborn as hell.
    He has lost a bit of weight, but I was encouraged today with his numbers and how he acted.
    I won't hesitate to call the vet if he seems to be poorly, no worries.
    I will be contacting the clinic this week to see if the vet who diagnosed him will look at his spreadsheet.
    I don't know about others' experiences, but this particular clinic, even with lots of vets on staff, has been a pain to connect with due to their approach to Covid-19.

As far as the Libre goes, maybe it will go back to Costco so I can get my money back - I never touched the boxes at all.

I myself, am pinching myself the last couple of times I tested him with the numbers I am seeing.
    Fingers crossed the morning is good.
    Thanks for your help, I do sincerely appreciate having someone with experience read my posts. Truly.
    :)
    Laura

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The Lamb Burgerini is 8% according to the Catinfo website food list, so a good option. It was one of Neko's favourites with a relatively low phosphorus number too so a good option for her kidneys.

Freeze dried raw is either Stella and Chewy's or Primal around here too.

Let's see how Toeby does the next day or so, but I think he may have decided he's done with insulin. :)

Laurasboyz likes this.