? 7/30 Max PMPS 104, +2 96, +3 63, +4 54, +5 65, +6 53, +8 101; AMPS 386. Still bouncing, why?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rebecca & Max (GA), Jul 30, 2020.

1. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Rebecca & Max (GA) Member

Last post (7/26)

Max is still doing good on TR but he's still a bit bouncy - at least I according to the sticky -
    "On the other hand, if your cat has a bounce clearing and is still careening downhill at shot time (usually characterized by numbers that drop for the whole cycle, without a clear nadir), then you will want to take that into consideration as you make a decision about shooting. Know thy cat."

Can someone take a look at Max's SS and tell me what you see ((and how much of the past few days are still a mess from him eating his sister's HC kidney food))? I'm trying to figure out what he's trying to tell me, but I feel like I'm failing him.

Do I just need to ride out the bouncing and ignore when they happen, or are they telling me something I'm not getting? Such as, is he telling me he needs to go down to 1.25U again?

I decided to shoot at 104 at his PMPS (at 12:30 AM) while he was clearing a bounce, but then stopped him from dropping below 50 this morning at 4 AM by offering a teaspoon of Fancy Feast gravy when he was at 54 because I was exhausted and afraid I'd fall asleep and miss testing him at +4.5 or +5 and he'd be too low. I also intervied on 7/26 with MC food to try and hold off a hypo event. Perhaps both were the wrong choice? Should I just keep testing to see how low he'll go without intervention as long as he has no hypo symptoms (have yet to see any from him), or wait until his get below 50 before I intervein? Maybe not just shooting the lower PMPS reads would have been better?

I'm not really sure what to take into consideration as I make a decision about shooting - is it only if I cannot monitor? Is it about him clearing a bounce? Argh.​

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, ignore the bounces. Bounces resolve in the cat's own time frame. When Max starts to get more comfortable with green, the number, length and height of the bounces should go down. As far as shooting if they are clearing a bounce, just know that it could an extra active cycle and you may need to monitor more. If they are careening down, you see a low preshot, and have to walk out the door for the entire cycle, you may want to do something different. Which could mean changing your plans so you can get another test in, leaving high carb food, or reducing the dose.

Is the HC kidney food wet or dry? HC wet should last that long in his system, dry longer but should be out of his system by now.

3. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Rebecca & Max (GA) Member

The HC was canned food. My other cat had walked away from her dish and while I was adding in Max’s reads with my back turned, and he used that time to help himself :facepalm:. It was not a full plate of food (they usually get a few good sized teaspoons of food), but it was enough to send him high. He leveled out by the next night, but I just wasn’t sure if that was enough to cause a bounce the day after that (going from low to high then back to low). I guess I was surprised to see him at 104 at his PMPS, as I figured he was trying to tell me he was going to need an increase as he was starting to hit the higher numbers, but he dropped when I tried around a 1.6 to 1.65 dose. However, if his system was still off from the HC high, I could see why he dropped down last night.
    I know it’s going to be my choice if I shoot low or skip. I guess I’m still afraid to skip a full dose because he’s not yet surfing consistently. Yes, he’ll eventually come back down, but Max is a very bouncy boy, and I’d like to do what I can to stop that - if that’s possible. I have noticed the highs were but as high, and he seemed to settle back down quicker, so yay for that. Just seems as if I think we’re into something new, life steps in a messed it up.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

High carb food does not cause bouncing. Going lower than they are used to, or fast drops will cause bounces.