7/30 Oberon AM 338, AMPS 320, +4 247 +6 173 +8 158 +10 179 PMPS 199, +1 293

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa & Oberon, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

Oberon got his first Lantus (1 U) at the vet on Monday, but BG was still low (132 and dropping) by evening so I skipped the shot and called the vet the next morning. He told me to hold off on Lantus for now while he consulted with an endocrinologist colleague; he didn't want him to drop too low. I didn't hear back on Wednesday and I think today is his day off. Do I (a) just wait to hear from him, (b) call and talk to one of the other vets at the practice, or (c) go ahead and give 0.5 U and monitor BG throughout the day? I've done some spot checks and Oberon's BG is running in the mid 300s. Appetite/behavior is fine.

2. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Bumping up . . .

I would go ahead and give 1/2 unit . . . let's see if you get more input soon enough to feel confident shooting (or not)!

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Jan. Oberon needs some insulin. Better 1/2 unit, provided you can monitor today, than nothing.

4. Lisa & Oberon

Thanks; I'll do that now. It's 10:30... I'm going to be out from about 12 to 2, but I can check him as soon as I get back, and then every few hours (or more if needed) after that.

5. Lisa & Oberon

247 at +4. We're on our way! I'll plan to check again at +6, +8, and +10 at least.

6. Lisa & Oberon

+6 173, +8 158, +10 174. Looks like I'm on track to be able to give 0.5 U again this evening, right? I should be able to get one post-shot measurement, maybe at +2.

Also, he got his first shot at 10:30 am, but long term I'd really like to aim for maybe an 8 am/8pm schedule. What's the best approach to shift the schedule earlier?

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You can move your schedule back by 15 minutes a shot, or 1/2 hour once per day. So that should take 5 days to get you back where you want to be.

Hard to say now where he'll be at preshot, but he's looking good to shoot so far. If he's lower at +2, make sure you leave lots of food out for him to keep himself safe.

8. Lisa & Oberon

PMPS 199; I gave 0.5 U. I'll check again at +1 and hopefully +2, then off to bed if all looks good.

9. Lisa & Oberon

293 at +1; I assume that's the morning dose wearing off and the evening dose not kicking in just yet. So far so good.