? 7-7 Djoko amps 97 pmps 79 - struggling with decreased appetite

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marj & Djoko, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/16-6-djoko-amps-128-pmps101.248701/#post-2804963

Hello there,
    I have been struggling with Djoko in the last week or so. In the morning, his appetite is not too bad although one morning this week he barely ate. At night, before his shot around 6pm, he is never hungry. He eats just a bit of his portion but not enough to give him a full dose. I add Forti Flora, parmesan, open new cans, give him horse meat, rabbit, but not interested. He runs back upstairs.

I told his vet about this and her recommendation was to give him bupre, cerenia and appetite stimulant everyday. I find this solution extreme. For me, appetite stimulants would be used as a last resort as he gets totally crazy on mirta. His appetite is also normal during the day. If I did not need to give him insulin, I would just feed him when he is hungry and I believe he could eat his daily calories during the day. He is already on zofran (has been on cerenia 4mg per day but found it did not really help so I have switched). He takes 1/4 tab per day so I think 1mg. I could verify if needed.

I noticed that he does a weird mew sometimes but not followed by vomit. Wondering if he is trying to tell me something. Kind of a meow desperate for help.

I am trying to figure out what is the cause -worsening of CKD following the 5 hour dental? I have still not digested it.

He used to eat home cooked diet only because of chronic pancreatitis and potential IBD but because of his decreased appetite, I needed to add cans to his diet. He is now eating mostly renal support d and e in cans. I try to feed him horse and rabbit as a complement when he does not eat enough of his cans before his shots. Djoko used to have such a huge appetite so it is difficult to watch :S.

I think that blood work would provide some answers. Last ones were done at the beginning of May just before the dental.

It is also weird because he still asks for the door and does what he needs to do in his litter so he does not look too bad but there is definitively something. He does sleep a lot but I think that if he were free, he would spend more time wandering outside (he goes on a leash). Diseases do not help either.

I would like to help the little angel but I do not know what to do exactly. It is also very difficult to determine what dose of insulin he should get based on the amount of food he ate and is likely to eat. I think I should play it safe as sometimes he just does not want to eat during the entire night (like this week). First time he did not want to eat during the evening / night (except when pancreatitis flare up occur).

If you have experience something similar e.g. appetite varies throughout the day and you have tips, please let me know!

Thank you.

Marjorie

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes please. Ondansetron comes in 4mg and 8 mg pills and does not last very long. It is dosed by weight, and many vets under dose it. My Neko was on too small a dose. :( It should be 0.5 mg/kg of cat. And can be given 3-4 times per day. At 4.8 kg, he could get 2.5 mg, though 2 mg would be OK.

When Neko's appetite was off, I ended up giving her slightly higher carb food, so 8% instead of her usual 3-4%. And I'd assist feed some to make sure she had some food in. She liked the 8% and would often eat on her own once I got a bit of food in her. Are you elevating Djoko's bowls?

Marj & Djoko likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Is he losing weight? I had the same issue as Wendy with too low a dose of ondansetron for Max at first. I never used mirt after seeing the reaction Tiffany had but I have read the transdermal has less side effects.

4. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice but wanted you to know that your boy is in my prayers. I hope you can get him to eating soon.

Marj & Djoko likes this.
  5. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

will start a new condo later but yes will increase the dose. he has not lost weight (he loses it for one day like 0.2kg and takes it back). He ends up eating, maybe a bit less than before, but not at the "right time" for the shots and very picky.

6. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

Sometimes I put the bowl on the counter or on a chair to make a change. Is it what you meant? It does work sometimes.

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Sometimes a raised bowl helps if nauseous.

8. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

I think what is meant is to put something under the bowl, so kitty doesn't have to hang head low to reach it. I sometimes put a 800g food can under the bow, so the bow is levelled out with his shoulders.

Marj & Djoko and tiffmaxee like this.
  9. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I have created a new thread. SO it should be 2mg every 8-12 hours? Do you prefer Cerenia or Zofran? You can respond in the new condo! Thanks!