? 7/8 - GIDEON BLUE - AMPS 264, but hypo last evening

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-7-gideon-blue-amps-535-big-bounce.231986/

Well, we had some excitement last evening. At +3.5 Gideon tested at 47, with no signs or symptoms of hypoglycemia. I fed him 20% carb food. Is this considered medium or high carb? - I guess I will have to read more. At +4 he tested at 64. Then at +5 he was 151. I then went to bed. I didn't break out the Karo, since the 20% carb food seemed to be enough. Speaking of Karo, does light or dark matter? Perhaps a silly question. This morning as in the subject line, AMPS = 264.

Thank you Elise for being on-line and so supportive.

My question is, I started a new Lantus pen yesterday morning. Also, it was the first pen I had used from my Marks Marine Pharmacy order. Does the Lantus pen lose potency within 6 weeks?

I have lowered Gidoen Blue's Lantus dose back to 2 units BID.

We will be leaving on vacation, so we will see how he tests from now until Saturday in order to determine dose while we are away.

Thank you all.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

20% food is considered HC(high carb). LC(low carb)is 10% and below. Medium carb is 11%-15%. Above 15% is High carb. I use light karo. Dark contains a type of molasses. I'm not sure if it makes a difference besides flavor. Someone else may have the answer to that question. Lantus pens can remain potent for a long period of time as long as it is stored in the refrigerator. Moey's pen has been in use since March 5, 2020. I generally use each pen to the last drop. That can take a long while(6 mo or better). So far so good.
    Great job catching that low # last night and keeping Gideon safe.
    I hope you have a good day Shiloh.:)

3. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Thanks Briere. I will look for medium carb food, if I need it again. So, now I am wondering if there is any difference from the Lantus we get in the US via the Lantus from Canada. Perhaps he would have dropped either way.
    As I mentioned, we are back to the 2 units twice daily for now. Hoping to get this boy from bouncing so I can enjoy my vacation. No matter what, I worry about my fur children, even when I think I have taken all the precautions I can possibly take.

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  4. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

At +3 = 430, just now. We knew he would bounce from his hypo last night. Let's hope he can clear this and I can get at least YELLOW readings.

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I just got on line. I used every pen until the last drop so your Lantus is just fine and it’s no different. When I started with a vial they both lasted 6 months before they lost potency. He’s just starting to get to a good dose for him.

You will need to lower his dose even more before vacation. When do you leave?

6. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

We leave Saturday morning after his morning dose. Cat sitter will be here, but will not be testing. Vet tech will come in at 7A & 7P to test and give Lantus.

7. tiffmaxee

I know your vet says 2 units but without testing I’d be worried. That’s see where he’s at tomorrow and get advice from the mods.

8. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

You mean testing other than before Lantus is given, right?

9. tiffmaxee

Yes. You don’t want him to get low in between shots so mist give a lower dose than usual.

10. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

At +9 Gideon is in the BLACK at 577!
    This is a real bounce. Hoping he comes down nice and slow tonight and tomorrow.

11. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Tonight 7/8:
    PMPS = 451
    +3 = 271