? 7/9 - GIDEON BLUE - AMPS = 307

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-8-gideon-blue-amps-264-but-hypo-last-evening.232018/

Still hoping my boy can get regulated. We will be gone for a week starting Sat. Vet tech will test, feed, and give Lantus, in AM & PM. Cat sitter will be staying at our house to watch the kitties. My Gideon is currently on Lantus 2 units twice daily. Do I need to lower this when we go away> He was increased to 2.25 units twice daily, but had a hypo episode.

thanks in advance for you input.

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Vacations are tough with these FD kitties....is there any way he can go with you?

If not, how often will the vet tech be in for testing?

3. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Unfortunately, there are no pets allowed where we go.
    Vet tech will test at 7AM before feeding and giving Lantus, and will also be testing at 7PM before feeding and giving Lantus. My kitties free feed except for 2 hours before Gideon's BG test.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’ll tag some people for you. @Wendy&Neko @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I’m not sure what to suggest with him dropping low ad then bouncing. It’s better for him to be high than too low but how much to reduce??? You also want a dose easy to measure. M thinking 1.5. Let’s get more opinions.

Shiloh567 likes this.
  5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would drop the dose back a bit. Even with a petsitter there, some kitties just don't eat well when their caregiver is gone. It will be helpful to see what the numbers look like today.

A lot depends on how confident you are that the petsitter can draw up a dose that's not on a line on the syringe. The 1.5u dose that Elise suggested is fine if you're concerned about a 1.75u dose being drawn consistently. You can also go back to your current dose when you return.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad Sienne stopped by. I never left Neko - she always came with us, or one of us stayed behind.

For reference, try filling a syringe with some coloured liquid, to show the dose. I've heard stories of even vet techs getting the dose wrong.

Enjoy the trip. Better Gideon runs a little high so you can relax while away.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  7. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

I have a pet sitter staying at our house to watch the kitties, but I also have a vet tech coming by at 7A & 7P to test, feed and shoot.
    The pet sitter gets all the kitties to eat. They love her.
    Both places we stay at in July and August do not allow pets. I would love to take him, but it is not possible.

So, I will wait to see what his numbers look like today and tomorrow, do decide if he should be on 1.5 or 1.75 units while we are away.

When I return, if he consistently was in the PINK or RED, do I just increase back to 2 units twice daily?

Thanks.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, you return to the last good dose when you get back.

9. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

I am on the fence now about lowering dose lower than 2 units. Vet tech had trail run last night, and all went well. After she left I asked the pet sitter if she would like to try an ear test on Gideon. She said yes, and she did it fine. So, in addition to vet tech twice daily, pet sitter will at least do a mid-day test. She also is great at getting the kitties to eat. AMPS this morning =370.
    Thanks!