7/9 Mr Kitty AMPS 103, +5.25 36, +5.75 59, PMPS 95

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by FrostD, Jul 9, 2021.

1. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I'll try to get this daily thread in proper form.later, life is a disaster at the moment (cue Benny Hill theme song to multiple rounds of explosive diarrhea and baths with kids crying in the background and a nonstop whining dog who's sick of being on "bedrest")

Cat diarrhea treatment, go. I think I've seen pumpkin, SEB, s boulardii. Brands, amounts?

Yesterday

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’ve given a teaspoon of pumpkin twice a day but you can give more.
    Not sure dosages for the others. :bighug:

3. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Jarrow S. Boullardi + MOS. This is a probiotic at the health food store (for people). Works with IBD in cats. Start very small (maybe 1/4 of a capsule). Can work up to 3 capsules per day to stop the diarrhea. There is a Stop Diarrhea website for how to use this to stop diarrhea in cats. Need to get the exact brand and label I mention here.

FrostD likes this.
  4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

+5.25 36 :banghead::banghead:

Thank you ladies!

@Wendy&Neko I'm just winging it over here wth do I do with dose here haha

Edit: he did not eat his usual amount. Not sure if related to diarrhea, but I *think* is more likely he felt a fast drop and refused the food I had out because it wasn't enough (I know, sounds crazy, but my food trial WAS working). Scarfing down HC right now

FWIW, I believe he probably went lime last night based on how much food was left. I stupidly thought I'd be ok with all the MC out.

+5.75 59

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Pro-Pectalin hasn't been mentioned. The paste comes in a syringe that you squirt into their mouth (sorry Mr. Kitty). It's a pretty good short-term fix for diarrhea. I use SEB, S. Boulardii works for some cats (I've had others that it did nothing for). Vet can give Metronidazole too if nothing else works.... five day course is probably enough. Metro has anti-inflammatory properties as well as antibiotic and anti-protozoal. I use it if I can't get diarrhea under control or if it is severe. How long has it been going on?

I also use freeze dried pumpkin added into food (usually 1/2 tsp. twice a day but that's more like a dose to keep a cat regular). The problem is that when starting things like fiber (pumpkin, metamucil) you have to start slow or you can make the problem worse if they aren't used to it (that's where the Pro-Pectalin gel can be helpful).

FrostD likes this.
  7. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry you are going through all of this Melissa. I can't help with any helpful advice on the diarrhea because I don't have any experience. Just know that I am thinking about you and your kids and your Mr. Kitty. Praying that things will get better for you very soon!

FrostD likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Mr. Kitty - stop it!
    How does 4 units feel? (wildly trying to pin a tail on a moving donkey :eek:) I think you need to take it lower, so you can try to give the same dose a few cycle in a row. He has lots of depot to keep him going. I'm having visions of Marvin, first kitty here on cabergoline.

As for diarrhea, what are you feeding for HC? That's how I discovered Neko was allergic to wheat. :rolleyes: I went to HC based on potato starch instead. Weruva Grandma's Chicken Soup for the heavy guns HC and their Cats in the Kitchen pouches for low end of HC.

I also had something called Pro Gut Plus (by Ceva) - also a paste you put in their mouth. Neko didn't object to the taste. I wonder if that's like the Pro-Pectalin Suzanne mentions. And I just found out Pro Gut is discontinued. :banghead: It also had a lot of probiotics in it, so a probiotic if Mr. Kitty is not one already.

9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Thank you!

It sounds like maybe 2 days. DH is on litterbox duty, and he didn't mention til today that he had to wipe him down two days ago. Bad enough today that it got all over everything.

I'll send him out for a probiotic and pumpkin run tonight and see how that goes.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Some cats will eat babyfood squash if they don't like pumpkin. Neko loved pumpkin!

Suzanne & Darcy and FrostD like this.
  11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I am so glad you said 4, I was thinking 3.5-4.

Vet wants me to go EOD because he's never done this before...but that's too many changes at once right now. I want to stabilize dose and hopefully get back strictly LC first.

I'll have to look at ingredients, it's an ocean whitefish sort of thing...but he was on kibble in the past so I don't think that's it? But you never know.

12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Thank you Summer. They are technically better with these numbers and a much lower dose, just a bit of a wild ride over here lol

13. Wendy&Neko

Not EOD, much better to get to a dose you can shoot twice a day.