8/02 Butters AMPS 229.../+6.5 47/+7.5 49/+8.25 47/+9 58/PMPS 83/ +1 144/ +4 76// +5 194

Discussion in 'Lantus / Basaglar (glargine) and Levemir (detemir)' started by Butters & Lyla, Aug 2, 2020 at 7:24 AM.

  1. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    Yesterday

    Trouble posting this morning. Keep getting a server error message for last three hours.

    Butters AMPS 229. Her numbers have been = or >200 for the last four, possibly the last five cycles. Perhaps still in a bounce? With the PM July 30th cycle, her before bed test was 200 on the nose and I didn't get a test after that. In hindsight, I should have. If she stays above 200 today, do I increase her dose this evening? Or am I holding at 1 U for one more cycle?

    Also, I won't be home to monitor tomorrow's morning cycle. I can get a +1 only and won't be back til around +9 or +10. I don't think I've seen her react immediately to an increase, so I feel like it would be safe to increase at that time. But I'd like to know what more experienced members would do in this scenario.

    Just in general, given the data in her spreadsheet if she has a lower preshot tomorrow morning could I still shoot the full dose and load up the autofeeder for LC snacks at +2, +3, +4, & +5? Maybe a bit of MC just to be safe if I'm shooting a green preshot number? Or do I also need to shoot a lower dose? Or use MC food? I am also unsure here.


    Thank you in advance!
     
  2. Lisa & Oberon

    Lisa & Oberon Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2020
    I was unable to post or edit my post title starting at about 10:30 last night (Eastern time) and there were no new posts between then and about an hour ago, so I'm guessing the forum was having problems. Glad it's back up now.
     
    Butters & Lyla likes this.
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

    Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    The board was down. A couple of us let the webmaster know.

    It's looking like the 1.0u dose lost it's oomph. I think it's your call when to increase. Leaving out some MC food along with making sure there's food available sounds like a reasonable idea.
     
    Butters & Lyla likes this.
  4. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    I thought the 1.0u dose had maybe lost its oomph, too. But she has now signaled that is not the case. 97 @ +4.5. Looks like she wants to keep me guessing.
    I decided to do another test, as that 110 point drop in 2.5 hours seemed steep. The repeat test at +4.75 was 85. 12 point drop in 15 minutes.

    I have fed her 1 tsp LC at +4.5 and 2 tsp LC at +4.75. Bit nervous waiting for an hour to retest. I'll wait 30 minutes. She's still pretty far away from the sharks.
     
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 10:01 AM
  5. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    56 @ +5.5. I'm getting nervous. Going to feed....something. LC doesn't seem to be working.
     
  6. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    Ended up feeding 1/2 tsp MC gravy and 1/2 tsp LC at +5.5.
    Rechecked 15 mins later: 58 (@ +5.75).

    I know these aren't shark numbers. I am trying to feed her curve and stave off the sharks.

    To think I thought Butters was going to earn an increase tonight. I'd say this will be the last time I talk about an increase before it is truly earned, but it won't be. I just like to try and imagine all scenarios and prepare myself well in advance.
     
  7. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    Still wants to go down. 50 @ +6. Fed 1 tsp MC gravy and 1/2 tsp LC. HOpefully this does it.

    Will test again in 30 minutes.

    I think if she drops below 50 I'm not going to reduce.

    @tiffmaxee or @Wendy&Neko am I doing ok here? I know she isn't in danger but I haven't had her come close to 50 since I've been doing the daily post.
     
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 10:50 AM
  8. Tina Marie and Jan

    Tina Marie and Jan Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2019
    Oh Butters! You are doing great Lyla!! I look forward to your next test number. What is the percent carb in your MC gravy?
     
    Butters & Lyla likes this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

    Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2012
    Cats generally will go below 50, in spite of a few extra carbs, if they really want that reduction. Since Butters is recently diagnosed, there is also the chance that her pancreas is healing, and she really doesn't need her current dose. If she does go below 50, you have the option of doing what we call "shooting through the bounce", where you shoot the old higher dose for 1 cycle, then reduce the cycle after. So that would be 1.0 unit tonight, and 0.75 tomorrow.
     
  10. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    Thanks! Weruva Chick Magnet 16% carbs.

    47 @ +6.5. I fed her another tsp LC. She thinks she hit the jackpot with all the snacks today.

    I totally thought I'd be able to stop it but she had other plans. Ok I'm shooting through a bounce tonight and reducing tomorrow.
     
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 11:11 AM
    Reason for edit: To note that i also fed at +6.5
    Tina Marie and Jan likes this.
  11. Tina Marie and Jan

    Tina Marie and Jan Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2019
    Lyla - at 47, you'd usually feed more than LC, but trying to stay around 50 instead of overdoing carbs is great.
    Now Butters has me quite curious.

    People like to say just the threat of an increase can work wonders!
     
    Butters & Lyla likes this.
  12. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    She's still at 47 @ +7. I will feed a 1/2 tsp of MC and 1/2 tsp of LC and test again in 30 mins. I am constantly re-reading the stickies and I still can't keep everything straight.

    I wish I had known that that's what people say! Maybe I would have thought twice before saying it. :D
     
    Tina Marie and Jan likes this.
  13. Tina Marie and Jan

    Tina Marie and Jan Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2019
    You seem and sound like you know what you are doing - I'm sorry I should have mentioned giving a bit of HC gravy with that 47. (However, MC gravy worked for my carb sensitive Tina.)
    You will learn so much more as you go - and you have a sweet Butters to assist your learning:cat::)
     
    Butters & Lyla likes this.
  14. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    It's totally okay. I should have known about giving HC under 50. But to be honest, I'm glad to have stuck with MC and LC, and let her hover around that 50 mark for longer.

    Thank you! I don't feel that way, yet. But it gives me a bit more confidence in myself. We are really just starting our journey, Butters and me.

    49 @+7.5. Will feed another little bit of LC and touch of MC.
     
    Tina Marie and Jan likes this.
  15. Wendy&Neko

    Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2012
    It's ECID on what carbs you need. Typically when earlier in the cycle and the insulin is stronger, you need higher carbs than later when it's weaker. But also some cats just vary in how carb sensitive they are. Some need really high HC. For me, I found the 16-17% worked for me, but if she was below 40 or taking her time getting up, I'd add a drop of syrup/karo. You don't want her lingering in the 40's.

    Good luck with the reduction.
     
  16. Tina Marie and Jan

    Tina Marie and Jan Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2019
    Hopefully she is about done with going down, and will slowly start rising for her PMPS. If you have any question / hesitation about tonight's dose, be sure to post! I see you had success shooting through a bounce before. I have no experience with it, but am wowed by it, and by Wendy's knowledge.

    My hesitation/curiosity has to do with you being unable to test tomorrow's AM cycle from about +1 to +9-10.
    Would it be a good idea to go ahead and lower the dose tonight, instead of waiting until in the morning @Wendy&Neko since Lyla won't be home for several hours tomorrow? (giving the depot a chance to deplete a tiny bit with a decrease tonight).

    Another thought . . . do you have an autofeeder Lyla?
     
    Butters & Lyla likes this.
  17. Wendy&Neko

    Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2012
    Another question to ask - do you think Butters will bounce and be perfectly safe tomorrow? You might know by PMPS. Too early to tell now.
     
  18. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    From looking at her spreadsheet, when she bounces she's between 200-300 without dropping back down, so it seems on paper that it is safe.

    She is 47 @ +8.25. I fed another tsp of MC.

    I think if I had today to do over after learning from you both, I would've broken out a can of HC and given her a bit early on because she dropped hard so early in the cycle and wasn't coming back up.

    I would expect to see her start to bounce by PMPS, based on what I see on her spreadsheet (July 27th AM and July 30th AM). But I want to err on the side of caution. I really do have to be out tomorrow unfortunately. I have an autofeeder with five compartments, the catmate.

    Thank you, Wendy and Jan, for helping Butters and me. I appreciate it so much.
     
    Tina Marie and Jan likes this.
  19. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    Looks like she is now moving up: 58 @ +9. I will test again at +9.5, just to be sure. No more food unless she drops again.
     
  20. carfurby

    carfurby Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2012
    I see Butters is keeping you on your toes. I hope she keeps surfing safely.
     
    Butters & Lyla likes this.
  21. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    PMPS 83. @Wendy&Neko or @Sienne and Gabby (GA) I've seen you both mention shooting through a bounce on here.

    Can I tell based on this PMPS whether Butters will bounce and be perfectly safe tomorrow? I mean, I don't think I can tell. If I don't hear anything, I will take the reduction now.
     
  22. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    She just vomited white foam twice. Maybe the MC gravy that she wasn't used to did it. She seems to be looking for food now I think.

    Love how she ran to the only carpet I own and left two puke puddles on it. Cats. :rolleyes::)

    Fed and shot reduced dose .75u.
     
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 4:44 PM
    Reason for edit: Hate to keep adding a new comment...
  23. Wendy&Neko

    Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2012
    Pretty typical. :rolleyes:

    I hope she eats tonight. You'll find out in a couple of hours whether she's going to bounce. Shooting through the bounce is optional, and not something to be done if kitty is clearing bounces quickly. I don't think Butters is there yet, but some cats will suddenly decide they are done with bouncing. Stay tuned!
     
  24. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    I totally would've shot through the bounce if I didn't need to go out tomorrow. Next time.
    She is zooming up now and irritable. Can hardly blame her! What a day.
     
  25. Butters & Lyla

    Butters & Lyla Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2020
    I can't believe it. She is dropping again. 76 @ +4.
     

Share This Page