8/1: Nova--amps 218--DH thoughts & super funny pic

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LindyNova, Aug 1, 2020.

1. LindyNova

LindyNova Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

LOL!

Luckily my husband is following my lead on this. He's working on learning to test (this morning he got the poke done but couldn't get the darn cat to hold still to get the sample on the strip). Shots will be next but I'm going to wait until we get the ½ U marked syringes.

Sonia & Leo and LindyNova like this.
  3. LindyNova

+4 281. Vet called and said most tests look great, except for very high cholesterol/triglycerides, a bit of glucose in the urine....something a bit lower than usual but not alarmingly so. Will have complete report on Monday. Will post then.

So, I guess that means no underlying problems as to why Nova is going up in #s. I will also assume that the ups and downs in her dosing is normal as well. Staying calm (somewhat) :rolleyes:....moving forward.

Going to extract weeds with force today to stave off the frustration!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. LindyNova

You are SO lucky! My DH will not even feed the cats. Says wet food smell makes him gag. BTW--he had no problems with nasty poopy diapers.o_O

5. Lisa & Oberon

My teen says the same thing, and she's got a needle phobia and wants nothing to do with testing or shots. But at least there's two of us in the house who can handle things.

LindyNova likes this.
  6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

LOL!!! That is the funniest thing I've seen all day!!!

Yep, I agree with your assessment..keep doing what you're doing...you'll find over time the less conversation you have with your vet about FD, the smoother things will go. Whenever I take Luci in for whatever - dental cleaning or as in her case last year, a broken foot - I tell them she's a diabetic and flash the spread sheet at them and they are usually wide-eyed about all that testing...and then proceed to want to sell me some 'diatetic' food...and ask me to call for dosing information...I kindly decline the food and say thanks...sure...uh huh...and on my way out while paying the bill...thank you again...good bye...and no, I don't discuss her diabetes any further than that...and no I'm not calling them back for advice on dosing, etc. Luci has been doing quite well now for almost 3 years as a diabetic - who gets her insulin every day from me...amazingly she's a happy sassy girl for her age (almost 12 now)...

Keep reading the condos and the stickies every chance you get...lots to learn :) You're doing great...DH will come along eventually. I have to say it is very hard to believe that a 'professional care giver for animals' knows so little about feline diabetes - it's as if our cats are 'disposable'...shudder..... :|

LindyNova and JOJI and Kit like this.
  7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

FYI - cholesterol level in cats is pretty meaningless. Glucose in the urine suggests that Nova's numbers are above renal threshold. Renal threshold is around 220 but it differs for every cat. The only way to really know is to get urine glucose strips or Ketodiastix which test both for urinary glucose and urinary ketones. You'd have to test when Nova's numbers are at a variety of points to get an idea of where her cut point is.

LindyNova likes this.
  8. LindyNova

pmps 70 She's dipping those beans!:D

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

LOL. That's hilarious. I hope your DH will get on board soon. Glad most of the tests look great. :D

10. LindyNova

I had a meter that would time out on me every time. When I got the ReliOn, I eventually figured out that if I plan ahead there was hardly an lag time...so I put in a strip partially, turn it on, Poke, insert strip all the way (with one hand while gently restraining the Noves with the other and holding her ear), then by the time, a few seconds, while the drop forms, I am ready to sip up the drop.

11. Lisa & Oberon

We've got the timing down pretty well now. Our main problem is that if the drop is big, he shakes his head and spatters everywhere. My kitchen looks like a crime scene.

12. LindyNova

Been there! Scoop up that drop onto the top of a fingernail....and cover it up quick! Test from the drop afterwards.

13. Lisa & Oberon

Oh, good idea. I managed to get a drop from the table onto the strip yesterday, so that sort of worked.

LindyNova likes this.