? 8/10 Milo *HELP - He is dropping too low again!* PMPS 274 +2 271 +5 99 +6 77 +6.5 111

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Danielle & Milo, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Banfield, his current vet, is the one that gave me the wrong syringes and told me to only test before shooting. HA! They are crazy!!!! I will be sure to post on this thread tonight what this new vet says. They have a lot of experience with diabetic cats

2. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

I hope so too! Thank God I have a job where I can work from home if I need to!

Julia Rae likes this.
  3. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Already have it! ;)

Julia Rae likes this.
  4. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

YIKES!!! Yep, the new vet does sound promising!!

Julia Rae and Danielle & Milo like this.
  5. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

Happy joy! not Magellan and I are playing the stalling dance!

Danielle & Milo likes this.
  6. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Milo's +3.5 is 88!!!! I think I am safe.

When do I need to test again?

Amy&TrixieCat likes this.
  7. Julia Rae

I think your good, I would resume your scheduled testing... You where totally da bomb Dani!

8. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Thank you!!!! I could not have done it without your help! I will give him a pokie break for now! I hope he stays in good number range!

Julia Rae likes this.
  9. Julia Rae

Your more than welcome luv, I am sure he will be a good kitty.. for his momma bean..

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sorry if I confused you. What I was responding to was your saying you weren't going to feed until +6. I understood you were feeding at shot time. Given how Milo's been keeping you busy, obviously waiting until +6 wouldn't have been such a good idea.

Every cat responds to a feeding schedule differently. As an example, Gabby typically has an early nadir -- around +3 or +4 (except on those days when she figures I've been too complacent and she wants to shake things up). Because she has an early nadir and is quite adept at having her numbers dive fast and hard, I front load the cycle with food. This helps to offset the dives.

If your cat isn't prone to drama, feeding a couple of times prior to nadir helps to keep the pancreas from being overloaded by a lot of food all at once. I tend to discourage feeding after nadir since there's less insulin available to counterbalance the influence of food. This is one of the reasons it's important to have a reasonable idea of when nadir falls.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of using things like Temptations to raise BG. They take longer to have an effect on the numbers and seem to take a lot longer to exit the system. Maybe Milo or Magellan are different. Feeding gravy seems to act more quickly because there isn't all of the other "stuff" to digest. Even if you're using something like FF Gravy Lovers, if you're giving gravy + some of the protein, the gravy acts to bump the numbers up quickly and the protein helps to keep the BG more level. (If you were to eat straight carbs/sugar, your BG levels would spike up and as the effects wore off, numbers drop. Carbs + protein result in a spike up and a much more gradual decline.) Because Gabby is gluten sensitive, I can't use gravy. When I need to feed HC, I use a combination of LC and a couple of drops of Karo. The corn syrup is a quick boost in numbers and the LC food helps to keep things level.

11. Julia Rae

12. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How long since you last gave high carb food? That gravy can last about two hours, then wear off. I like to make sure I test around the 2 hours point after the last gravy to catch any drop that might happen.

Now that you can relax a bit, I'll talk a bit more about feeding. You are doing the right thing with testing, feeding, then shooting at preshot. What many of us do, especially those that have cats that like to dive (yes, I'm talking about you Milo!), is to feed a couple of additional mini meals early in the cycle, maybe a tsp or two between +1 and a +3 to try to smooth out the dive. It doesn't have to be extra food, you can reserve some of the breakfast for those meals. It can take a bit of experimenting to see what timing of those meals works best for your cat. You might want to take a look at Sienne's cat Gabby's SS. In fact, looking at other cats spreadsheets can be very informative.

14. Julia Rae

Looks like things are going all right will be around if you want or need anything Dani just yell out ok??

15. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I have suggested in the past that when you notice he is dropping you feed more often and small amounts to guide his curve. I know that you were discouraged from doing so but it can lead to easier to manage cycles. In other words, I agree with Wendy.

16. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

You bet! Thanks! I am good for now!

17. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

I gave him HC food last at 10:00am. I will test now! lol that is 2 hours

18. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Milo got 1 tsp gravy last at 10:00am and then I fed him 1/2 can FF regular food at 10:30am.

I am testing him now since his last HC food was 2 hours ago and will post that number.

SO much to remember!!!!!!!!!

19. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

ALL -

I just did his 4.5 and he was at 101. I am going to hold off on his small meal and feed him at his normal time for his afternoon meal which is always at 1:30 (6 hours after insulin).

I do not think he is going to drop anymore.

I also DO NOT know his NADIR at all.

20. Amy&TrixieCat

That is a beautiful number! Well, for today's cycle, his nadir is +2, but of course you also had to intervene. But, just given what we've seen so far with Milo, it currently looks like his inclined to be an early-nadir kitty. Of course that can change, but that's what his data is showing so far.

21. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Makes sense!!!! I am giving him a break on testing. I may grab one or two before his PMPS which is at 7:30pm

22. Amy&TrixieCat

I would definitely grab another test in there...as Wendy said, food can wear off and numbers can start dropping again. You're probably OK to test 2 hours after his +6 meal, but I wouldn't go any longer than that, just in case!

23. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Great job today Danielle!!

You and Milo are going to be pro's at this before you know it!!

24. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Rescheduled Milo's vet appointment for tomorrow! I don't want to mess up his awesome day today or risk being late on his insulin!

25. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Thank you!! I am far from Pro lol

26. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

ALL -

I was just thinking, does Milo earn another reduction since he was at 62 today? Would I drop down to 1.50? I really think I need to drop it down to 1.25 units twice daily.

Thoughts?

27. Amy&TrixieCat

Milo is sort of on the cusp of earning a reduction. He did drop below 68 today, but we usually don't do reductions as close together as Milo's would be. However, it is up to you...you certainly could try a reduction and if it doesn't hold, just take him back up.

Personally I would only reduce by .25U, so that would make his new dose 1.50u. Again, though...you hold the needle so it's up to you - you have to be comfortable with how things are going.

That's my 2 cents...others may chime in, too!

28. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

I just have a feeling 1.75 is too much and he dropped low again today! He hasn't had a preshot like that in weeks. I am worried about what his PMPS will be. I could always lower it tomorrow morning to 1.50.

Hopefully others chime in

29. Wendy&Neko

The question is a tricky one. You got started on too high a dose and Milo hasn't spent 6 cycles on any one dose. Not your fault - it just is. It usually takes around 6 cycles at a dose to build the depot. Once we know what dose the depot thinks it's at, it's easier to make dosing decisions. With frequent dose changes it's harder. The flip side is that when you do a reduction, it can take 4-6 cycles for the depot of the higher dose to go away and you can see the influence of that higher depot on the lower dose. This is only Milo's second cycle at this dose so he could very well be seeing the influence of the 2.0U depot, which is too much. Three days ago, Milo was on 1.5U and it looked like too little insulin. Insulin needs don't usually change that fast. But he is a cat - and they like to be unpredictable.

Milo was also breaking his bounce this morning, and those cycles can have a lot of extra downward momentum to them. See how he started last night in red and ended in blue.

After all that preamble - 1.25U is definitely too little, and 1.5U might be too. If you are up to staying one more cycle on 1.75U tonight, it might be a good indicator if 1.75U is too much or just right.

On another positive note - Milo cleared his bounce in two cycles! That's awesome improvement! :):) And I think it means you need to be cautious going forward on shooting through the bounce.

30. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

This make sense, I had to read this a couple times to make sure I understand completely. I will hold the 1.75 units. I am worried what his PMPS will be and if I should shoot the 1.75 if it's too low. I hope someone can help coach me through tonight again. At least I will be home all night to test if needed.

I know 2 units is way too much. I get confused on the whole depot thing, I have read about it on the stickies but still don't get this all. It is a lot of information and trying to piece it together or see how this all works together is confusing me.

I still do not even know is NADIR. I am getting ready to do his +8

31. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Milo's +8 was 220.

32. purrdydolly

purrdydolly Member

Nice shooting today :D I wouldn't take the reduction either and I second all the food talk going on - temptations aren't the best way to go for HC and it's better to frontload the cycle with food. Maybe you can move Milo's regular +6 meal to a bit earlier, if you move it slowly he might not even notice ;)

33. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Milo's PMPS was 274!!! Looking good! He is eating a can of FF now and then will shoot 1.75 units!

Thanks to everyone who helped get me through this day! It is not over yet though!

Should I get a +2 after shooting or +1?

34. Wendy&Neko

He's on his way up and high enough, I think a +2 would be good enough.

35. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

+2 it is!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  36. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Thanks!!!! I agree I'll move his s +6 meal tomorrow!

37. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Milo's +2 was 271

I think he is okay the rest of the night!

38. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

Do I need anymore tests tonight?

39. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I would get one more test in, about +3.5 or 4 if you can.

Just clarifying to make sure you understand what people are saying about feeding....they are suggesting you feed Milo a second meal early in each cycle to help prevent diving and flatten out the cycle. Maybe move that +6 up to +2 or +3 and see if that helps.

Also, sounds like Milo is done with shooting through the bounce because he is clearing the bounces very quickly.

40. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Milo is at 99 for his +5. Should I be worried throughout the night???

41. Wendy&Neko

I'd give him a couple tsp of his regular LC food to see if he will surf, and check again in an hour.

42. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST DID A +6 AND HE WAS 77!!!

I GAVE HIM 2 TEASPOONS OF HIS REGULAR FOOD MIXED A SMALL DROP OF SYRUP IN IT. I CANNOT BE UP ALL NIGHT SO I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!!!!!!!!

43. Wendy&Neko

He is still in normal numbers, above 68. If you really must get to bed now, I'd leave a bunch of high carb food out for him to snack on as he needs. If you can at all, I'd test in 1/2 hour, to make sure the high carb is taking him up. But I'd still leave out the food if you can't stay up after that.

44. Julia Rae

Breath Dani.. it will be ok!

45. Wendy&Neko

You have eyes on your condo, and it's not a medical emergency, so you can take off the 911.

46. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

If I leave the high carb food out he will eat it all now! I gave him his regular food a bit ago with one drop of syrup

47. Julia Rae

Hugs BREATH dani... breath it is ok 77 is a beautiful number

48. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

I was hoping for some sleep tonight :(

49. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

But not if it goes down :( I'm not experienced with these low numbers they scare me to death!

50. Julia Rae

Hugs.. it will happen luv but for now breath and cuddle your fur baby ok???

51. Julia Rae

it as in sleep luv

52. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

I'll test one more time in a half hour but then I need sleep.

53. Julia Rae

Ok.. worst case take fur baby to bed with you...:bighug:

54. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

He's laying next to me now grooming himself :)

55. Julia Rae

That is good.. just breath and love on your fur baby..

56. Danielle & Milo

Danielle & Milo Member

+6.5 is 111 and I left out 1 tsp of HC and I'm going to bed!

57. Julia Rae

sleep tight luv

58. CarolynE

CarolynE Member

:bighug: Hugs to you and Milo. I hope he settles down for you and you can both get some sleep.

I thought I'd post because I can totally relate.
    Martian and I are new to the dance too, and his numbers keep scaring me. He's hit 59 three times so far, and this morning's first PS was only 99. He's looking like another early nadir kitty, too. Luckily he's pretty good about food; I can leave it down and he'll graze when he gets hungry. Despite this, I haven't slept a decent night since he started on insulin just over a week ago ;)

Just keep doing what you're doing. You're a great kitty mama, looking after your baby.

Danielle & Milo and Julia Rae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.