? 8/16 Simon AMPS 95, +3 72, PMBG 59

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kyle & Simon (GA), Aug 16, 2020.

1. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Kyle & Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Good morning! 95 this am? After two skipped doses he is holding very steady. I am tempted to skip again this morning.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Good morning. Again in normal numbers. You can stall without food to see what he does. I think his pancreas might just be working. @jayla-n-Drevon andI discussed this last night. She said she would not shoot if under 150. I would shoot if over 100. Others might say shoot a .1. I may be wrong but if he were my cat I would feed and test in2-3 hours to see where’s he at. If his pancreas is working he will be under 100. You can get other opinions if you want.

3. Kyle & Simon (GA)

I am in complete agreement with this! You are the best! :woot: Will post updates in 2-3 hours and see where we are at.

4. tiffmaxee

See you later.

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm tending to agree with above...it IS entirely possible that this fellow has gotten past the steroids and has settled back down into normal ranges...even some low blues here probably wouldn't be enough to send me back to the insulin...

He does however bear close watching...if the AM / PM preshot numbers are still green, I'd back off from the insulin altogether. So many things can cause cats to appear to have higher than normal numbers - illnesses, infections, stress and medications...

Let's see if normal life has brought him out of his need for any help... please continue to post your numbers in your SS..and post here as well if you could. We'll be watching :)

6. tiffmaxee

Did you get another test yet?

7. Kyle & Simon (GA)

72!!!:woot:

8. Kyle & Simon (GA)

I am trying not to get my hopes up here but so far so good! :nailbiting::D:nailbiting:

9. tiffmaxee

We might just have a celebration (anti-jinx) Enjoy your day. Get a PMPS before you feed.

10. Kyle & Simon (GA)

I know I am seriously ready for things to change without notice, and if that's what happens I will have you guys to help me. But I am going to allow myself to be cautiously optimistic here.

11. tiffmaxee

Oh and feed him whoever he wants to eat. Just not two hours before you test tonight. If he eats then no worries though. You the will just see where he’s at 2-3 hours after he eats.

12. Kyle & Simon (GA)

My vet would have had us on 1 unit every 12 hours for 2 whole weeks without a single test. I am so glad I found you and so grateful for all of the help I have received. I hope you enjoy your day too!

Butters & Lyla and Sue and Luci like this.
  13. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Roger that!

14. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

a good way to see what the pancreas is up to....feed him and test 30 mins after feeding. Withhold food and test again in an hour. Try to catch the food bump and the decline in #s from the food wearing off. I did this with Ittle while he was going OTJ.

15. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Thank you @Sue and Luci !!

16. Briere Fur Mom

That's only if you're curious...but not necessary

17. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Good idea! I will try that, assuming I can get a sample within 30 minutes, which with my poking skills is not always the case:confused: !

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  18. tiffmaxee

You would have ended up at the ER with an active hypo. I’m sure of that. Many of these vets just scare me. Simon likely was stressed at the vet which increased his bg from the beginning. You are a quick learner and have great instincts. What I love about this board is we don’t always agree so each person gets options and has informed at the moment decisions to make.

19. Kyle & Simon (GA)

@tiffmaxee , @Briere Fur Mom - I have one more question- I need to give Simon fluids today, should I try to do that at any particular time- like several hours before testing? Can it affect his numbers?

20. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Simply seeing the AMPS, then the +3 shows his pancreas IS working!!!
    He just needs to keep it up!!
    Good Sunday to you:):cat::bighug:

ETA - for us, fluid timing didn't affect BG numbers . . . we started fluids a little over a month before going OTJ I believe.

21. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Agreed. This board is a great resource, and you @tiffmaxee, provide some really great advice!

22. tiffmaxee

You can give fluids any time. With Max when I started fluids the first time the insulin and fluids brought his bg down. Not after that though.
    How often are you giving fluids and for what reason?

23. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Thank you Jan! Have a great day yourself! :)

24. Kyle & Simon (GA)

100 ml every other day for his stage 3 kidney disease.

25. tiffmaxee

It’s better to give fluids every day IF needed. There are differences of opinion as to when to start. Better to give 50 ml daily to keep him continuously hydrated unless you think the chlorambucil causes him to not eat enough on those days and then every other day makes sense.

26. Kyle & Simon (GA)

How do you determine if the fluid is needed? Also, what was the forum you recommended for IBD/SCL?

27. tiffmaxee

I’m going to PM you.

28. tiffmaxee

You can try lifting the skin and seeing if the fur bounces back. You can feel the gums to see if moist which you want or tacky. If he’s not eating well and not drinking it’s probably a good idea for now to give fluids.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  29. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Okay PMBG 59! Hoping his pancreas knows what it's doing here? Feeding him now :cool:

Maybe I should go for another test in 30 min @Briere Fur Mom just to confirm pancreas is working?

30. tiffmaxee

I am so excited for you! Ms. Pancreas seems to know exactly what she’s doing!:D:D:D

31. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Yes so excited! Hoping this will hold. Cant help but worry if he will go too low now :nailbiting: Just a habit!;);)

thebigfuzz likes this.
  32. Kyle & Simon (GA)

:cat:What do you think would be a good testing regimen moving forward? AM/PM daily for a few weeks? Still sort of stunned that this is happening!:cat:

33. tiffmaxee

There are OTJ trial rules which I don’t have but that’s what you do. If either of those is in the blue range you feed and test in about 3 hours. If the pancreas is working the bg will come down. You do this for 14 days and then there’s a party. Post each day. You start on a green shot so today is day 1.

34. tiffmaxee

There are OTJ trial rules which I don’t have but that’s what you do. If either of those is in the blue range you feed and test in about 3 hours. If the pancreas is working the bg will come down. You do this for 14 days and then there’s a party. Post each day. You start on a green shot so today is day 1.

35. Briere Fur Mom

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!:D:D:D

36. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Here's the OTJ trial info for you to read :)

OTJ trial instructions:
    Start the trial on the next green pre shot.
    If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day.
    If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working! Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed.
    He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.
    After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!
    Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on. Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!

37. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

So happy for you!
    :bighug::D:bighug:

Kyle & Simon (GA) and tiffmaxee like this.
  38. tiffmaxee

Please post your AMBG when you get it. I know it must be good since you haven’t posted with a question.

39. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Thank you!

40. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Good morning! Just got it @ 91! I will probably go back to testing a bit later than 7 am. Will start a new thread to share this! :D:D